chubbies need your help

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been a lurker here for awhile. I have read a lot of threads on diets but most of the food suggested is out of my budget. I am currently out of work and we are just making it on hubby's pay. They were eating Whiskas meaty selections dry food & purina one urinary tract formula dry food, but I eliminated the Whiskas. They only like friskies can food mainly the seafood flavors. Molly is 12lbs and Lucky is 16 lbs. Lucky also had surgery so he is a female now due to blockages which is why I feed them purina which lucky prefers. They eat about half a can a day per cat. Once in the morning and once at night. The dry food is out all day. Oh and they both have had at least 6 teeth pulled and bad gums. They are over 5 years old.
Molly is highly addicted to temptations treats.

I also want to clean their breath and gums. I had bought the fluid to put in their water. It was working great on the breath but not sure about their teeth. Due to the sensitive of their gums it is hard to touch them especially Molly who has a phobia with people touching her face.

Thanks for your help.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much dry are you feeding them? If you are trying to get them to lose weight, you will probably need to meal feed them (leave measured portions out at certain times of the day) instead of free feeding them (leaving unlimited food supply out all the time).

If you're looking at trying a higher quality food, you might see if you have a Trader Joe's near you. Their canned food is 59 cents per can, which is a lot less than some of the other high quality foods. They even have a fish variety.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't eat much dry food. I put out a cup size the other day and it has been there for a week.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you may want to try all wet food ( if $$ allows).. Trader joes is great for $$ ... Meow mix and Natural life are also good..

If you can afford One you should look at Nutro s Max line or Chicken soup both are true premiums and less in most areas than one

jt23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

I have been a lurker here for awhile. I have read a lot of threads on diets but most of the food suggested is out of my budget. I am currently out of work and we are just making it on hubby's pay. They were eating Whiskas meaty selections dry food & purina one urinary tract formula dry food, but I eliminated the Whiskas. They only like friskies can food mainly the seafood flavors. Molly is 12lbs and Lucky is 16 lbs. Lucky also had surgery so he is a female now due to blockages which is why I feed them purina which lucky prefers. They eat about half a can a day per cat. Once in the morning and once at night. The dry food is out all day. Oh and they both have had at least 6 teeth pulled and bad gums. They are over 5 years old.
Molly is highly addicted to temptations treats.

I also want to clean their breath and gums. I had bought the fluid to put in their water. It was working great on the breath but not sure about their teeth. Due to the sensitive of their gums it is hard to touch them especially Molly who has a phobia with people touching her face.

Thanks for your help.
I think a lot of the foods tend to have a feeding guide on them, so you feed them the amount for the weight you would like them to be. It is so easy to overfeed a cat! Do they still like to play games? Those red laser pointers are fantastic for getting cats up and running around. I know it can be difficult with older cats though, but worth a shot.

Also, how fatty are the temptation treats? Have a look at the packet. It may make a big difference if you cut those out.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told to look at the feeding guide on the bag. Feed your cat the amount it calls for for what you WANT your cat to weigh.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet also believes that an all wet diet will help to lose/control weight. The 9 lives tuna is very reasonably priced and doesn't have byproducts, corn, etc. I read the ingredients to a vet once over the phone and they thought it sounded okay. Check it out.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

My vet also believes that an all wet diet will help to lose/control weight. The 9 lives tuna is very reasonably priced and doesn't have byproducts, corn, etc. I read the ingredients to a vet once over the phone and they thought it sounded okay. Check it out.
Hey, thanks~! What flavor does your cat like best?

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is this a trick question?

It's called 9 Lives Tuna Select, Flakes of REAL tuna. Grab a can and read the ingredients. It doesn't have a lot of crap in it. 95% real tuna

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky likes anything and Molly only likes seafood right now. She also prefers loaf. She used to love shredded turkey & cheese.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I went out and got them Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Weight Management Cat Food. They loved it the first day but I haven't seen them eat it since. I even mixed it with their old dry food and nothing. They are really into the friskies wet food now.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Then take it back
... I would try the max hariball the flavors are gormet... BUT all wet is fine though all fish isnt great

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just after I typed that I put the dry food in their wet bowl instead and one of them ate it.

What are some signs of allergic reaction to food? Other than stratching.
Because my asthmatic cat coughed and spit up a little pile of white stuff.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no personal experience with asthmatic cats but as a asthmatic human I spit up white goo alot... Is that new for the kitty>>??

allergy signs common

ear infections( repeatly)
scratching
biting or overgroming fur
hyperactivity( this is very hard to quantify)

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was new for her but she hasn't done it since
Thanks for listing what to look for