Kitten
Purraise
I meant FIP
Sorry hard to type through tears

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with this disease, I wanted to wish you and your kitten the best during this difficult time.

Bryan

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know about typing through tears. Are you sure you are talking about FIP and not FIV? They are totally different - FIV can be managed often longterm, FIP is a horrible disease that sadly claims its victims all too fast.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I know about typing through tears. Are you sure you are talking about FIP and not FIV? They are totally different - FIV can be managed often longterm, FIP is a horrible disease that sadly claims its victims all too fast.
and there also is no test for FIP, it can only be diagnosed for certain after death

what are the baby's symptoms?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biskit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitties symptoms are lethargic, not eating well, low grade fever enlarged tummy. Vet pulled fluid from her belly which was then the initial diagnoses. Sent the fluids to CSU Vet hospital for futher exam. They said they couldn't confirm 100% but that in their best opinion thats what they are also confirming.
My daughter is away at college with this kitty and dealing with this on her own. Vets, and trying to get her to eat.
She just went through H*ll 3 months ago when she took her 13 yr old cat to live with her at school and 3 weeks later we had to put her down when the vets discovered she had cancer through her entire body, including her lungs.
She had to take her to the Vet hospital twice to have fluid drained from her lungs.
Thank you all for the support. It is truly appreciated

jt23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Biskit

Kitties symptoms are lethargic, not eating well, low grade fever enlarged tummy. Vet pulled fluid from her belly which was then the initial diagnoses. Sent the fluids to CSU Vet hospital for futher exam. They said they couldn't confirm 100% but that in their best opinion thats what they are also confirming.
My daughter is away at college with this kitty and dealing with this on her own. Vets, and trying to get her to eat.
She just went through H*ll 3 months ago when she took her 13 yr old cat to live with her at school and 3 weeks later we had to put her down when the vets discovered she had cancer through her entire body, including her lungs.
She had to take her to the Vet hospital twice to have fluid drained from her lungs.
Thank you all for the support. It is truly appreciated
I'm really sorry to hear about that, as the prognosis isn't good for FIP. It sounds like Wet FIP with the accumulation of fluid. Apparently it starts off as a relatively harmless virus called the Feline CoronaVirus which often shows little symptoms. This is highly contagious and is normally spread through litter trays. On the odd occasion, this virus 'mutates' into FIP. The test that they do shows a titre count for the feline CoronaVirus, which is why they can't tell you that it is conclusively FIP, but if it shows a high titre, chances are that it is FIP. I think they were trialling a drug called Interferon for the treatment, but please don't get your hopes up as there is no cure for FIP. I'm under the impression that Interferon is hoped to alleviate some of the symptoms and make the last bit of time a bit more comfortable. It may be worth having a look at.
Best of luck.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jt23

I'm really sorry to hear about that, as the prognosis isn't good for FIP. It sounds like Wet FIP with the accumulation of fluid. Apparently it starts off as a relatively harmless virus called the Feline CoronaVirus which often shows little symptoms. This is highly contagious and is normally spread through litter trays. On the odd occasion, this virus 'mutates' into FIP. The test that they do shows a titre count for the feline CoronaVirus, which is why they can't tell you that it is conclusively FIP, but if it shows a high titre, chances are that it is FIP. I think they were trialling a drug called Interferon for the treatment, but please don't get your hopes up as there is no cure for FIP. I'm under the impression that Interferon is hoped to alleviate some of the symptoms and make the last bit of time a bit more comfortable. It may be worth having a look at.
Best of luck.
I'm so sorry about your baby, I will keep you and the kitty in my thoughts

amaranth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This brings tears to my eyes too. Not so long ago, I lost my 6-month-old angel to "wet"/effusive FIP. It's a horrible thing to go through, and it hit us before we really knew what was going on. I know that there is no cure but researchers are working on it. Please ask the vet about all the options as s/he will have the best understanding of your specific case. Whatever happens, I hope your darling kitten does not suffer. Your kitten and your family will be in my heart and prayers.