Cats and Anesthesia

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took little Charlotte in to be spayed yesterday and brought her home this morning. Are there any side effects or health issues that can arise in cats after a procedure where they were put under? She has made a couple of coughing type noises today. Can cats get colds after anesthesia was used on them?

Thanks,
Bryan

schwarzekatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

I took little Charlotte in to be spayed yesterday and brought her home this morning. Are there any side effects or health issues that can arise in cats after a procedure where they were put under? She has made a couple of coughing type noises today. Can cats get colds after anesthesia was used on them?

Thanks,
Bryan
If your cat was intubated that could be what has caused the coughing.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just a guess, but if she was intubated (where they put a tube down her throat to help her breathe during surgery, her throat may be a bit sore and that could cause her coughing. If you notice any behavior differences, though, I'd call the vet and ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.

Her behavior is the same as it was before the surgery. Actually, the little angel hasn't skipped a beat. I just hope she doesn't work her stitches out. She hasn't made that cough sound in a while. I'll continue to keep an eye on her and take her in if anything changes.

Bryan