Indoor/outdoor cat

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an indoor/outdoor cat. Everything has been fine, but now a neighbor is accusing my cat of destroying her property and is threatening to capture my cat and take him away. It is going to be nearly impossible to force him to stay in. There are a lot of people in and out of my house and he WILL get out. What should I do? Is an electric fence possible?

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the cat fixed? How is he destroying her property? I dont think she can have him removed, its not like he's a stray or feral or something. I am not sure what you could do other than try to keep him in. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Electric fence (for dogs) will not work on a cat.

As far as keeping him inside you have a few choices:

1. Install a cat door that would lead to an enclosure where the cat cannot get out - has to be total enclosure with covered top. Sorta like a mesh tent.

2. Be more watchful and train the cat to stay inside.

3. Find kitty a new home if its "impossible" to keep him inside.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

Is the cat fixed? How is he destroying her property? I dont think she can have him removed, its not like he's a stray or feral or something. I am not sure what you could do other than try to keep him in. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions!
If the cat is on the neighborâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s property she could probably have him removed considering that many communities have ordinances against allowing animals to roam. If that is the case, it makes no difference if the animal has actually damaged any property of not. The silver lining is that even if approached poorly…at least the neighbor thought enough to give a warning instead of immediately taking the cat to the shelter as a stray or dumping it some place else. There are some people that would have just brought the cat to a shelter (or worse) and said nothing.

I agree with the suggestions above for keeping your kitty safe. The only other thing I can think of is trying to make the areas surrounding the entry ways unattractive to the cat (such as putting something on the floor near the door the cat wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to step on) temporarily until the habit of going out is broken.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's possible to keep him indoors if everyone in the house works at doing this.

The neighbor can sue you if he is destroying her property. Take the hint and make the cat an 'indoor cat'.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Barblynnp

I have an indoor/outdoor cat. Everything has been fine, but now a neighbor is accusing my cat of destroying her property and is threatening to capture my cat and take him away. It is going to be nearly impossible to force him to stay in. There are a lot of people in and out of my house and he WILL get out. What should I do? Is an electric fence possible?
An outdoor enclosure is best...but you could also get cat fencing installed. Do a google search for cat fencing.

Katie

seppolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

To expand upon Yorda's post: is doesn't matter if the neighbor legally CAN have the cat removed or not. A person who is intent on getting rid of an offending cat has many options, few of which are legal. It was unusually nice of the neighbor to warn you first; many people just pick up/trap the cat and either bring it to a shelter as a stray or drive it far away & release it into the woods.

Whatever steps decide upon to remedy the situation, make sure you keep your neighbor informed of your plans; otherwise she may get impatient and decide to take matters into her own hands.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know people who say the electric fences ( the sonic underground sort) do work on cats. Certainly they are sold as being suitable for cats. I hope you find a solution.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you and the rest of your family really value this cat everyone will have to make an effort to keep it inside.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
cat enclosure...and some training