Loss of Appetite After Surgery

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humble had a cystotomy on Friday of last week. He has been taking 1.5 ml of Clavamox 2 times a day since Saturday.

He is not eating much with all this medicine.

Humble's appetite is not good. The vet says to stop giving the antibiotics for a day and see if that helps. I am also so stop with the Metacam.

??? Has anyone else had this problem?

I read online that Clavamox causes loss of appetite.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, Poor Humble. When Polly had her surgery, she went on Clavamox and ate pretty much normally. Do you think he might be in any pain/discomfort from the surgery? If so, that might make him not want to eat. Have you tried giving him something he especially likes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

Awwww, Poor Humble. When Polly had her surgery, she went on Clavamox and ate pretty much normally. Do you think he might be in any pain/discomfort from the surgery? If so, that might make him not want to eat. Have you tried giving him something he especially likes?
I did this afternoon, and he threw up just now.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have put Humble in the master bedroom with attached bath. I am sleeping in there. He has food, water, and a litter box. This way I can tell if he is urinating okay and is pooping any.

Shenandoah has the rest of the house to himself. Humble and I are shut up in the room together.

If he has not urinated in the morning, I am taking him to the vet.

Does that sound good to y'all?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, poor Humble. Sounds like you are doing the right things. Can you try to feed him little bits at a time from your fingers or whatever you can do to get him to eat at least a little bit at a time?

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Aw, poor Humble. Sounds like you are doing the right things. Can you try to feed him little bits at a time from your fingers or whatever you can do to get him to eat at least a little bit at a time?

Humble is not urinating a lot, nor is he pooping much. I assume it is because he is not eating.
So last night I put Humble in the master bedroom with me, a littler box, water, and food. He urinated a little during the night. He ate some, so stopping the medicines helped.

Shenandoah was off by himself in the rest of the house. That way I can tell who does what.

I will check this afternoon.

They told me, too, that with the new food, he would not go much because the animals "keeP" more of the food.

I'm calling the vet from school and tellling him all this.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have called the vet; the doctor on call is going to call me before I go to school (IF I go) and tell me what to do.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update after vet visit:

Humble looks great, the incision is healing as it should, his temp is normal, bladder feels good, etc. Humble has a small bladder, so he will not pee a lot.
The vet is going to keep him overnight, give him fluids, and see if he releases those easily (to ease my mind). and he will send him home tomorrow.

He says that if Humble releases those fluids well, we know for sure everything is working.

So I feel a lot better.

I will go get him tomorrow at 5:30.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Humble seems to be recovering well. Feel better soon, handsome boy!

The Clavamox must be making his tummy feel bad, which is why he does't want to eat. Sometimes antiobiotics can have that effect on humans, so they probably can on kitties too.

P.S. Keep us updated on precious Humble! Polly and Prego send their love.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel a lot better better the vet has seen him and has reassured me. I'll feel even better if they watch him tonight. I am glad to know he has a small bladder and wasn't supposed to be going all the time.

Now I can sleep better, just knowing he will be ok.

He is my angel.

All of you are so kind.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you took him back in, wishing him to continue recovering well. Fwiw, clavamox made Tyler have the worst diarrhea last time he took it, and did seem to knock his already finicky appetite off.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I am glad you took him back in, wishing him to continue recovering well. Fwiw, clavamox made Tyler have the worst diarrhea last time he took it, and did seem to knock his already finicky appetite off.
Thank you! How kind of you! How are your kitties today?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Frankie is using her box all the time (yay!) and Tyler looks very good and is stable except he won't eat much on his own, so I assist-feed him every day.

I do wish he'd develop a walloping appetite - I'd love to see a fat Tyler (except he's always been lean...he's just a long drink of American Curl..lol!)

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Well Frankie is using her box all the time (yay!) and Tyler looks very good and is stable except he won't eat much on his own, so I assist-feed him every day.

I do wish he'd develop a walloping appetite - I'd love to see a fat Tyler (except he's always been lean...he's just a long drink of American Curl..lol!)
Sending hugs to Frankie and Tyler! Plus some good eating vibes for Tyler.

myboys15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my boy Sebastian was not eating well my vet suggested baby food. She also suggested buying the stinky-est cat food I could find.

Best Wishes

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so happy Humble is doing ok! I have been thinking of him (and you) all day. I know how scary it is when a furbaby is unwell. Vibes and purrs are still heading to you both!
Catfriend

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone. You have great ideas and help me feel a lot better.

I am going to get Humble this afternoon, late.