Tail Cracking

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been noticing lately that Skunk's tail cracks.... When I pet him I always end by weaving my fingers around & along his tail (gently, of course!) and sometimes it will crack verrrrry lightly, it's on the top 1/3 to maybe 1/4 of his tail. It definitely doesn't bother him in any way and he still lets me touch his tail before & after it cracks, but I've never heard of that before on a cat!

Now I'm a chronic knuckle cracker - I'll crack any part of my body that will! - so I know how it feels & I also know that I can't crack my wrist (for example) every time, only after it has time to readjust back into position. This seems to be true with his tail- it only does it if I haven't pet him for a while (since I am the one that cracks it (not intentionally!!)). Chad says he has never noticed but he doesn't pay much attention to things like that.

Anyway- I'm just wondering if anyone else has a cat that has a cracking tail. Before everyone gets on their 'get your cat to the vet now' soapbox don't worry. I'm not taking him in since it doesn't bother him in the slightest way, but I will if things change. I will mention it to the vet when I drop him off to be neutered on Dec. 1st.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woah what a trip! I have never heard of cats 'knuckles' cracking.

Before everyone gets on their 'get your cat to the vet now' soapbox don't worry. I'm not taking him in since it doesn't bother him in the slightest way, but I will if things change. I will mention it to the vet when I drop him off to be neutered on Dec. 1st.
I'm sorry but LMAO!! I know how annoying it can get to post about a simple thing and everyone's like 'go to the vet'.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This may seem silly, but are you sure its actually his tail and not just static electricity? I've noticed that wilth the drier air if I do the full pet, that is, all the way down the tail
on a couple of mine I get static shock "pops"

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had that happen w/ my cats but I'v had several snakes who's 'tails' did that. Actually, some of them would pop down the entire lenght of their spine. They all seemed to enjoy it and since tail is like spine I bet he might like it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

I'm sorry but LMAO!! I know how annoying it can get to post about a simple thing and everyone's like 'go to the vet'.
Tell me about it!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

This may seem silly, but are you sure its actually his tail and not just static electricity? I've noticed that wilth the drier air if I do the full pet, that is, all the way down the tail
on a couple of mine I get static shock "pops"
Yep- I'm sure it's not static. I can literally feel it crack/shift. It's not very noticeable and I think that is because it is such a light crack- not like a loud pop when you're a veteran cracker!
- but if you are paying attention you can definitely feel it happen!

Originally Posted by twstychik

I've never had that happen w/ my cats but I'v had several snakes who's 'tails' did that. Actually, some of them would pop down the entire lenght of their spine. They all seemed to enjoy it and since tail is like spine I bet he might like it.
Yikes!!! Was it really loud or was it kind of quiet?!? If it was loud I think that would weird me out to hear a snake do that just because I'm not that crazy about them! But you are right- it probably did feel good.... I know it does when I crack!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a habitual cracker too so I can appretiate a good pop. My fiance hates it because if he hugs me right my back will go but I can rarely get his to pop.

The snakes... it's was like rapid sucession down the lenght of them but the pops were very light and barely audiable. The first time it happened was a little wierd but since they seemed to enjoy I never worried.

jennifer loves michael

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have cracked my old cat Marble's tail for years..it cracks close to the butt..He seems to enjoy it..never a problem..i wish i could get a realignment this easy..

TakaToshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Toshi is 13 years old. I have noticed in the past 6 months or so that about once a week, his tail will crack in a couple of different spots. It doesn’t seem to bother him at all. In fact, I’ve convinced myself that he likes it.
However, I have never heard of kitties needing their tails cracked, so I of course turned to the interweb and found myself here!
Hello!

pkoster2totha5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey nice to hear from you.....my cats tail cracks at least once every couple hours....I'll do it anytime she jumps up by me or she gets up from a nap and stretches! She enjoys it im assuming how me and you enjoy getting cracked.....relieves pressure and relaxes you.

pkoster2totha5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey nice to hear from you.....my cats tail cracks at least once every couple hours....I'll do it anytime she jumps up by me or she gets up from a nap and stretches! She enjoys it im assuming how me and you enjoy getting cracked.....relieves pressure and relaxes you