Scratching till they bleed?

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I have a bit of a problem. Annie Rose the last few weeks shes been scratching on her neck and in between her shoulder blades. I took her into the vets but they didnt see anything wrong and had me switch her food. It didnt stop at all. Now the last few days she literally scratched herself raw. She has no hair between her shoulder blades. And on either side of her neck right elow her ears shes made herself bleed. She doesnt have fleas, ringworm or dry skin. Shes not scratching any where else either. The vet even checked her ears out and they are fine no infection. They werent even dirty. She has to go in Thursday to get some allergy test. But I would think if its allergies she would be itching every where. But shes not. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This does sound as if it may possibly be an allergy. Being that a parasite isn't the issue, this is often due to diet. There are many diets specifically prepared for cats with food allergies, and it often takes a bit of experimenting to find the one that works for your little girl. What food is she eating now? What was she eating before?

It can also be due to an environmental factor. Is there anything new that has been introduced in your home..a new collar, new laundry detergent, fabric softener, furniture, etc...?

This type of scratching to the point of scratching her skin raw can also be a behavior exhibited due to nerves. Still, it's always best to rule out health issues first.

Let's discuss each of these possibilities.
Also, is all of this a completely new development? What age is your little girl? Our other experts in this area will have plenty of advice as they come along. I'm so relieved that she will be going back in for full allergy testing Thursday, and am so looking forward to knowing these results!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a fungal infection. My cat had that on her head; and she scratched holes in her fur. It was easily fixed with an ointment.

But I'd put her on an elimination diet.
Since it's winter, I'd also get a humidifier. Indoor air is very dry just now. If you are 'shooting sparks' chances are that's what is also bothering your cat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WHat is she eating???

WHat flea and tick is she on??

Has the vet check her for mites??

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you just apply flea medication recently when this started? Does she wear a collar or flea collar (if so take them off and throw out the flea collar).

What food did you feed and what do you feed now? Did the itching suddenly start? Did it line up with a change in food or environment? Even the slightest little thing?

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Zander does this. He has some sort of allergy and we are not sure what it is but he will stratch his neck until he has big gaping sores. I don't know how it does not hurt. We did all the things like change feed and kitty litter with our regular vet then we took him to a dermatologist. The first thing we had to do was two rounds of antibiotics since the sores had developed a staph infection. He goes in for allergy testing soon. He just got a steriod shot so we have to wait a bit. Currently we have a small sock around his neck to protect him from his scratching until we can figure out a better treatment.

Tricia

gizmo51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gizmocat, I'm curious what kind of ointment are you did you use? I don't know if you remember me from a previous post, but my Gizmo is going through this supposed alergy thing. The vet was first treating her for a fungus. It would not go away and just kept getting worse. He finally took a sample and sent it the a vet school and they said that it was alergic dermatitis. She has now been on steroids for several weeks (only every other day) and I have switched her to Natural Balance vennison & green pea dry & wet. The condition is not going away. He whole head and neck are still covered in crusty scabs and she is digging and scratching her neck and chin raw. There has to be something that can be done for her. This has been going on since August.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

What food is she eating now? What was she eating before?
Is there anything new that has been introduced in your home..a new collar, new laundry detergent, fabric softener, furniture, etc...?

Also, is all of this a completely new development? What age is your little girl? Our other experts in this area will have plenty of advice as they come along. I'm so relieved that she will be going back in for full allergy testing Thursday, and am so looking forward to knowing these results!
To answer your questions

She is currently eating IVD Duck and Green Peas and she was eating Blackwood Adult. Ive tried to get her to eat wet and she wont.

Nope nothing new here. I got her back in August from my parents so shes the newst thing other then my BF.

Yep its a new thing. Before she was acting fine no scratching or anything. She is almost 3 years old. Shes never had any allergies the whole time my parents had her or I had her.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

WHat flea and tick is she on??

Has the vet check her for mites??
We use Advantage. Yep she doesnt have mites.

Originally Posted by Jen

Did you just apply flea medication recently when this started? Does she wear a collar or flea collar (if so take them off and throw out the flea collar).
Did the itching suddenly start? Did it line up with a change in food or environment? Even the slightest little thing?
No It started about 2 weeks after I put her advantage on. She doesnt wear a flea collar. Yes I noticed about 3 weeks ago that she was itching a little around her ears. So I cleaned them out then she just started scratching like crazy about a week and a half ago. Nope the only thing I can think of is my boyfriend moved in but she never sees him because hes stuck in his room. That was hmm October 30 I think.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did this start after the food change?>?

If so I suspect she is allergic to peas , it actually is a common allergen in cats dont ask me why RX diets use it

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Did this start after the food change?>?

If so I suspect she is allergic to peas , it actually is a common allergen in cats dont ask me why RX diets use it
No the vet had me change her food after I rbought her in for scratching herself up.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give the food about 8-12 weeks to work .... You may want to ask about a possible cream to use on the icky patches...

gizmo51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could someone please tell me what kind of ointment to use to ease the itching??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmo51

Could someone please tell me what kind of ointment to use to ease the itching??
Talk to your vet...

gizmo51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to know so that maybe I could suggest it to my vet. He has never mentioned anything to apply topically.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ASK about natural and possibley steroid creams