Nutro cat food

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recently I switched my cats over from Iams to the Nutro brand of cat food. I was wondering what the opinion were of those who tried this for their pets....both positive and negative.

Thanks,
Bryan

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've used Nutro Indoor formula for a few years now. I noticed that there is reduced amt of waste to clean up and less stinky. It has also put an amazing shine on my cats coats. My little Kricket has had nothing but Nutro her whole life and she has the softest, shinest coat I have ever seen on a cat. It is a tad bit more expensive but Nutro always has offers or coupons. I like to pick up the 1 lb. bags when i see them because they always have at least $2 off coupons in them. I'm a big fan
and so are Roxy and Kricket

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used Nutro for all three at one pt ... now I cant due to allegies but I like the results

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've fed Nutro and Science Diet for years. Of the two, my vet clearly prefers the Science Diet. The cats prefer the Nutro...but cats aren't great judges of what's good for them. Given a choice, they'd probably all go for Friskies.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it's excellent. My cat had digestive problems and they cleared up within a week of switching to this food. He also stopped throwing up. I've also noticed a reduction in shedding.

My problem is that after I started feeding the Nutro Indoor dry food as well, he likes it so much I have to take it away in order to get him to eat the wet.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've fed Nutro for years. They seem to like it, but recently I tried a sample someone gave me (Can't remember the name right now) but they seem to like it too so I may actually mix. Nutro is a good food. My new vet asked what I fed them & when I told her she said it was a good food.

mongo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's one more vote for Nutro. I have been feeding it to my cats for years and recently got my mom to switch her cats to it also. The difference in her two cats was noticable.

amaranth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also like Nutro and my cats seem to love the taste. When I adopted my kitties they were both on Iams and when I made the switch, I noticed a big change in their coat smoothness. It's much better than Iams in terms of less by-products, less carbohydrates, etc. I have many friends with cats who say Nutro isn't quite as good as the top premium brands, like Wellness, but Nutro combines high quality with affordability (well, affordable in comparison with the top premium foods anyway).

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another vote for Nutro.

Right now I have Astrid on the Gourmet Hairball Formula Roasted Chicken and she loves it. She really loved the kitten formula too. I tried so many other dry foods; some she liked, most she didn't. For the price and how good her coat looks and now her "stinkies" don't stink so bad it is worth getting. I mix hers 75/25 with Pet Promise cause it has small kibbles and she likes it - she doesn't break up her food too well some times and I think that is contributing to her tummy/hairball problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!

Thanks so much for all of the replies! I didn't like the Iams so when I was at the pet store I stumbled across the Nutro and decided to give it a try. All of the cats love it and when I asked my vet about it she quickly endorsed it as a good food. I'm going to use the dry food as a staple and for some variety I'm going to be feeding a bit of canned or pouch food once a week.

I didn't feel that I was getting the quality of food with the Iams in comparison the the what is cost. With the Nutro I feel different- that the cats are getting a good, quality food at a good price.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And another vote for Nutro. We're in the process of switching over to the Kitten formula for some of our cats. The only problem we have had so far is one cat (adult) has been throwing up a lot since we've started the change over.

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I vote for Nutro too. After feeding my boys the Indoor Complete Care line, one of them came down with FLUTD so he'll be on RX food for the rest of his life. For our other little guy, we're switching him to the Nutro Max Cat Gourmet Classics Chicken since it's certified for urinary tract health. It contains DL-methionine (to acidify urine) and has a decreased amount of magnesium in it. It's a great food and I'm really happy with the results. Our boys never have hairballs, have lovely coats and no digestive problems whatsoever.

luvscharlotte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After reading this thread I'm sold! I'm buying some Nutro today. I used to buy Iams but kitty doesn't seem to like it at all... hopefully this one will be a hit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nutro is also tasty in the morning as a cold cereal. Just add milk and...viola!! No, wait, I'm just kidding. I got carried away in all of the excitement.

On a serious note I wish that I would have tried this food with my cats along time ago, they are really liking it.

Bryan

schwarzekatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I'll have to be the dissenting voice. I started feeding my cats Nutro NCCC Indoor and one of my cats must have been allergic to something in it because he started scratching himself raw. I had to take him to the vet who gave him a shot of something
(steroid?). Anyway, his itching stopped and I didn't have any more problems after I stopped feeding Nutro. I don't have a clue what it may have been and it could have been a total coincidence. They seem happy with Felidae anyway.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SchwarzeKatz

I guess I'll have to be the dissenting voice. I started feeding my cats Nutro NCCC Indoor and one of my cats must have been allergic to something in it because he started scratching himself raw. I had to take him to the vet who gave him a shot of something
(steroid?). Anyway, his itching stopped and I didn't have any more problems after I stopped feeding Nutro. I don't have a clue what it may have been and it could have been a total coincidence. They seem happy with Felidae anyway.
Likely the soy protein ... One reason I usually DONT recommend the indoor
... Felidea is good , my ZOey is starting on the chn and rice

schwarzekatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Likely the soy protein ... One reason I usually DONT recommend the indoor
... Felidea is good , my ZOey is starting on the chn and rice
Ah ok. Thanks!
Hope Zoey likes the Felidae c&r, that's the one I give my cats too. It seems to be one of the more reasonably priced decent quality dry cat foods. Their 13.2oz cans are very reasonably priced too.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I first got my kitten I gave him Nutro and he went right for it without hesitation. Guess it tastes good. My vet gave me a free bag of science diet and Shami's been eating it for a week now because he ate all his Nutro, but I'm not liking the results at all. He doesn't eat much of it, but he's filling the litterbox with poop, and his poos are stinky and loose. I'm gonna get rid of this bag or put it out for the strays to eat and get a new bag of Nutro tomorrow.