Do some cats "handle" being in heat better?

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of you may have read that my cat Reeses is in heat. I just started noticing the signs last night. Purring loudly all the time, rubbing up against everything, wanting alot of attention, butt up in the air, sensitive back, rolling around on the floor, meowing loudly at times etc..

My question is, do some cats go through this better than others? So far she's not as bad as two other cats I saw in heat. She hasn't sprayed, although the vet says because she's only a year and a half she probably won't, and she's not going nuts with the meowing and yelling (thank god). Could I expect her to get worse as time goes on or could she just stay like this which I think is pretty mild?

Also, I can't seem to get a straight answer about how long she could stay in heat at this age. A week? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? Her appointment to get spayed is December 13th and I couldn't really get any earlier than a week before that and we wanted to line it up with her 2nd distemper shot. The vet said that there is a good chance she probably won't go out of heat and then back in before then. How likely is that?

I just feel bad because I can't do anything to help her, she seems miserable.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about the length of time, I had a hard time figuring a staright answer myself. My cat yeowled...all of the time. I think I even made a thread about it...it was just miserable for both of us. One of the hardest things, for me, was keeping her from darting outside all of the time.

I would imagine some cats handle spays differently, but I don't really know any factors as to why (age, length, etc.).

Good luck

(oh! I realized I just posted in your other thread! well, there's a thourough answer for ya...hah)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marishka

I'm not sure about the length of time, I had a hard time figuring a staright answer myself. My cat yeowled...all of the time. I think I even made a thread about it...it was just miserable for both of us. One of the hardest things, for me, was keeping her from darting outside all of the time.

I would imagine some cats handle spays differently, but I don't really know any factors as to why (age, length, etc.).

Good luck

(oh! I realized I just posted in your other thread! well, there's a thourough answer for ya...hah)
Thanks for the double reply

I rescheduled her Spay for November 30th, so thankfully that's only 2 weeks away. That's the earliest I could get. The vet told me that the whole cycle lasts for 3 weeks, but her behavior that she's exhibiting now may only last a portion of the time (hopefully)

I appreciate her being extra friendly and she's not meowing a whole lot, just purring mostly and rubbing up against everything. Yes it's a tad annoying but mostly I feel bad because she looks miserable.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

Also, I can't seem to get a straight answer about how long she could stay in heat at this age. A week? 2 weeks? 3 weeks?
Depends, some cats go in and out of heat, others stay almost constantly in. Did you ask the vet if they will still spay her if she's in heat?

Missy would pole dance on the table legs when she was in heat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Depends, some cats go in and out of heat, others stay almost constantly in. Did you ask the vet if they will still spay her if she's in heat?

Missy would pole dance on the table legs when she was in heat
Yes they will spay her if she's in heat, though there are different prices depending on if she's pregnant and what not so it may be a bit higher.

She has been actually pretty quiet for most of the day. This morning she was rubbing against everything, purring alot and wouldn't leave me alone, but for the past few hours she's been under our bed. I've only heard her really meow loudly just a few times.

I'm hoping we're getting off rather easy

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when lilly went into heat she really done my head in lol , she would constently cry at the door. she sprayed up the sofa and the cabnet , was over friendly rolling around bum up in the air . was the best thing i ever did was get her spayed. never ever want to go through that again , btw when she sprayed she was only a little over a year old