Scratching furniture

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed Marishka scratching one of my mom's antique chairs the other day. So I want to buy a scratcher just for her. She has a big cat tree, about 6.5 feet tall, with rope, and wood and carpet that should be fun to scratch (you'd think). I've never seen her scratch anything else, and she is generally a laid back cat, so I thought maybe one of those little ramps, or just a plain scratching post would work. Can anyone recommend something? Is there a way to 'train' her to generally use the scratcher (or at least her tree?)
She doesn't respond to catnip at all, so preferably anything that doesn't involve it

Thanks for any words of advice : )

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marishka

I just noticed Marishka scratching one of my mom's antique chairs the other day. So I want to buy a scratcher just for her. She has a big cat tree, about 6.5 feet tall, with rope, and wood and carpet that should be fun to scratch (you'd think). I've never seen her scratch anything else, and she is generally a laid back cat, so I thought maybe one of those little ramps, or just a plain scratching post would work. Can anyone recommend something? Is there a way to 'train' her to generally use the scratcher (or at least her tree?)
She doesn't respond to catnip at all, so preferably anything that doesn't involve it

Thanks for any words of advice : )
Here is what I use, the base of which also serves to remove litter from his paws when he jumps out (the base is normally closer to his litter box). I actually would take his paws in my hands when he got out of the litter box and direct him through all the motions of using the post and he finally caught on. Now he always wipes his feet AND sharpens his claws whenever he gets done with his business. I did start his training sessions as soon as I brought him home from his mother.

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a small (about 1'- 1 1/2') scratching post, and a large (about 3-4') scratching post, plus a kitty tree and a rolley-ball thing with cardboard in the middle to scratch and all 3 of mine STILL occasionally scratch the furniture. You could try to 'direct him through the motions' as Persi said. Has she done it at all since then? Maybe she just doesn't want to scratch up her beautiful kitty tree. ^_^

pickles81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG Persi, that picture is soooooo adorable. You all are going to think im wierd, but when i got Pickles her scratching post (she doesnt even have front claws...lol) i took her paws....and gently showed her how to use it. And ever since...she uses it to take a BIG stretch up....OR she will just massage her paws on it. So, thats sort of how i trained her. She does that on the couch sometimes, but like i said, she doesnt have front claws. Im just the type of person, who every time i go to the store, i have to bring her home something
LOL
Shes my spoiled baby!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!!! Welcome to TCS!!!

Have you ever heard of soft claws?

here's the link: http://http://www.safepetproducts.co...asp?pg=default

I use them on both of my 2 and swear by them. This site is the cheapest price for them, you can get 40 nails for $14.50. They go for $20 in the stores. And shipping is fast. If you want me to help you with tips on putting them on & keeping up with them just PM me, I'll be happy to walk you through it! The 40 nail pack lasts my 1 yr old girl 6 months, but a 40 nail pack only lasts my bad boy kitten 6 weeks....hey, he's rough on his nails. Oh, and you'll need to invest in kitty nail clippers, you can get them for about $5-$10. Good luck!!!

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cat Neko will only scratch the card board scratching posts that are flat on the ground that you can but at any pet store. I also made him one by taking the top of a pizza box and peeled off the top layer of cardboard so that there was just the bumpy cardbord. then i glue the other side on to a plank of wood so that the bumpy side is up. Ido that onboth sides so that when he scratches up one side he can use the other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the helpful replies, everyone!
Persi, that is the most adorable picture I have ever seen anywhere of anything
. He's adorable!
I'm going to try one of the little cardboard ramp/slat thing, first. It seems like somehting she might use, maybe if I show her a few times. And it's nice and cheap! (Since I just dropped over $100 on a litterbox)
If that doesn't work, since she already has a tree, I might try soft claws, which I have seen before, but never used since she never really does anything with her claws. And I haven't seen her do it since.
Thanks, everyone, I'l keep ya updated.
Oh, and Namo, I am sure she doesn't want to scratch her tree up cause it's so pretty (it looks like a tree, with branches and fake leaves)...it does seem like something she would do (or rather, not do)

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Another technique is to have your kitten play with a toy on a string and then dangle the toy around and on top of the scratching post.

And the soft claws will prevent any damage until you train her.