After spaying.. belly kinda poofy

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maggie seems to be doing great and was down right friskie today after her spaying on Friday. The home instructions say no jumping playing or running, but she's doing all three now. Is it too soon? Stitches come out next Monday.

The incision is still sewn up tight and no redness..but the area around it looks kinda poofy, but that may just be normal belly bulge that looks funny from being shaved.

andelawhi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know when I had Luna spayed, she had an allergic reaction to the internal stitches, so that caused her insision area to look puffy and kind of lumpy. They just told me that it shouldn't cause any problems and would go away soon. And it did. It's apparently pretty commen. Maybe that's what's going on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LunaLou

I know when I had Luna spayed, she had an allergic reaction to the internal stitches, so that caused her insision area to look puffy and kind of lumpy. They just told me that it shouldn't cause any problems and would go away soon. And it did. It's apparently pretty commen. Maybe that's what's going on?
Hope it's something like that. Not too concerned yet, I just don't want to be one of those paranoid 'mom's. I'm thinking that as long as she acts normal, that she isn't having an infection..etc.. And she doesn't seem to have a fever.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like she's in great shape! Now if only Reece would just hurry up and have her kittens, then she wouldn't have a monster sides bulging belly!

Trust me, you will know if she's having problems!

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A lot of times if they're very active, they'll get a fluid filled area around the incision called a soroma. It'll go away over the next few weeks. If you're concerned, ask your vet if you can bring her in for it to be looked at.