Anyone here have their teeth whitened?.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was at the dentist yesterday and were discussing having my teeth whitened. He explained the procedure which sounds simple enough although costly, and said it can last 2-3 years so i'm going to go for it because i love my teeth.

I'm not going to have them a " filmstar white " but he said i would notice the difference, so anyone here had it done?.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

I was at the dentist yesterday and were discussing having my teeth whitened. He explained the procedure which sounds simple enough although costly, and said it can last 2-3 years so i'm going to go for it because i love my teeth.

I'm not going to have them a " filmstar white " but he said i would notice the difference, so anyone here had it done?.
Are you doing the tray whitening? It's a bit yucky tasting, but it get's the job done. I did it about five years ago, and now I have to go back to get it done again. It was well worth the money.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yea, bad taste is what i hear also.

i am about to get all of mine pulled out, a few years ago had a infection from a bad tooth that went all over the place. I have had the process done where they split the gum and clean the roots out, several times. But it keeps coming back. i really am about to give up , and get me some false ones. or have a mouth full of fake ones put in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Are you doing the tray whitening? It's a bit yucky tasting, but it get's the job done. I did it about five years ago, and now I have to go back to get it done again. It was well worth the money.
I'm not sure?. He said every night for 2 weeks i have to wear what looks like thin gum shields on both sets of teeth, but he said their so thin i won't be able to notice them because i have to put them in when i go to bed.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm not sure?. He said every night for 2 weeks i have to wear what looks like thin gum shields on both sets of teeth, but he said their so thin i won't be able to notice them because i have to put them in when i go to bed.
That's the tray! Yeah it's a little gross, but you will
the results.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would love to get the laser whitening done! as a smoker and a coffee drinker they have taken there toll on my "pearly" whites
I have totally perfect teeth thanks to braces, but they're just not as white as I'd like, I'll get it one day when I can afford it, because it is a bit pricey

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

That's the tray! Yeah it's a little gross, but you will
the results.
I'm pleased to hear that
He never mentioned the bad taste, but he did say that as long as the procedure was done correctly the results would be perfect, so that's probably what he was saying in a roundabout manner

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

i really am about to give up , and get me some false ones. or have a mouth full of fake ones put in.
Oooooh i really feel for you having that problem
Go for the fake ones if you can.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't do it because I have very sensitive teeth as it is...So mine would hurt too much afterward I think..

I think it looks weird when peoples teeth are too white though...make sure you don't look like Ross on friends in that one episode..

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I sooo want to get mine whitened But I have a cap on one of my front teeth so I will have to have that re-done after I whiten them so that they match. So I would have to go around for a while with a off colored front tooth until I got the white color I want. My dentist actually said that crest white strips do just as good a job as the expensive pro jobs and that is what I should use and then just come in and have them replace the cap.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

make sure you don't look like Ross on friends in that one episode..
I won't. He said he has a patient who works on the cruise ships who gets hers done once a year but he said their brilliant white, but i made it plain that i didn't want them like that.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea! I think some people have take n the whitening craze WAY too far! You need sunglasses to look at them when they open their mouths!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Oh I sooo want to get mine whitened But I have a cap on one of my front teeth so I will have to have that re-done after I whiten them so that they match. So I would have to go around for a while with a off colored front tooth until I got the white color I want.
Theres a tooth of mine where the nerve died a couple of years ago, so it's a shade different from the rest. People say they can't notice but i can, so he's starting on that one first where he'll drill a small hole behind the tooth and bleach it from the inside before doing the rest.

Isn't it marvellous what they can do these days!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Theres a tooth of mine where the nerve died a couple of years ago, so it's a shade different from the rest. People say they can't notice but i can, so he's starting on that one first where he'll drill a small hole behind the tooth and bleach it from the inside before doing the rest.

Isn't it marvellous what they can do these days!
It really is!! I guess I could always paint mine a shade to match the rest of my teeth!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Save yourself the money and buy those "Crest White Strips".

I asked my doctor about tooth whitening and he told me that what they use is just a stronger solution to what is in the white strips you buy in the store.

I bought some. I have sensitive teeth so I only applied the strips every 2 days and instead of 2 weeks, it took a month for me. My teeth were very white!!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Theres a tooth of mine where the nerve died a couple of years ago, so it's a shade different from the rest.
I had a front tooth like that. In time the tooth turned a dark gray. I ended up having a root canal (no freezing because the nerve was dead and there was no pain), and now I have a porcelain covered gold crown which is the same colour as my other teeth.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Save yourself the money and buy those "Crest White Strips".
I can't because the tooth where the nerve died has to be opened up from behind again and bleached from the inside first.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our daughter tried it a few years ago and was literally in tears from the pain. Apparently her enamel was too porous or too thin and we were away from home on vacation. We drove to several drug stores and finally had to wait for one to open to get her some Orajel to stop the pain.

I sure hope they have improved the process since then.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I sure hope they have improved the process since then.
He said there could be a bit sensitivity which would wear off. I think this is one of the reasons why weve talked in length about it because he said if someone came in off the street asking for their teeth to be whitened he would refuse to do it because he said he likes to know his patients and their teeth first.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He said there could be a bit sensitivity which would wear off. I think this is one of the reasons why weve talked in length about it because he said if someone came in off the street asking for their teeth to be whitened he would refuse to do it because he said he likes to know his patients and their teeth first.
Sounds like you have a good dentist! My hygenist commented on how many people ask her about getting it done when they come in for a cleaning.