boodah dome-what makes it so good?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey hey,
well, the time is fast approaching where I move out of the house and into my first apartment. With me, Chester and Dynah will be moving. We have used all kinds of litter pans in the past...covered, uncovered, with attachable rims...and they're ok. I've noticed a whole lot of people raving about the boodah dome on here though, and from looking at it I can't figure out what makes it so good. What's the difference between it and a covered pan?
Jess

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have one but from what I understand they have a charcoal filter in the roof of the dome to help control odors. Also the round design of the cover is supposed to be better because odor doesn't get trapped in the corners.

schwarzekatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just spent some time reading reviews. Seems people either love or hate this box. Apparently if you have cats that stand instead of squatting to pee, the box will leak. Some people have also said that litter gets out as well (aggressive diggers?). The lid does not fit tightly on the box and the top goes over the bottom which is what creates the problems they're having. Looking at the design, you can see how this could happen. Also, if you have large cats, the regular Booda Dome will probably be too small. There is a larger Booda Dome Clean Step but it has the same leakage issues as the regular sized one. Some people said they like the Booda Dome because it is round [so obviously] it has no corners to clean.

Here is one of the sites where I read reviews:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...#RMOKNXS05ZVUI

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbours dumped their Boodah Dome since their cats preferred open boxes. considering the enormous size of some of them I can see why. It would be claustrophobic in there.

A covered box does not seem to be necessary if you use the right litter and scoop often.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love the shape and look of it! I had vaguely heard of it. I think I am definately purchasing one, and if it works out fine, i'll add a second.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ooohh I have been researching the Booda Dome and now I want one! I saw it in my Cherrybrook catalogue, which unfortunately I think I threw out
But I am definately ordering one, at the end of the month when I have some extra cash

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got the larger Booda Dome for Bijou (Mika has a regular covered box). It is awesome. Bijou is a big boy and I have never had an issue with it leaking. He has never raised the top off. To get into the dome there are sort-of steps on one side that clean their feet off as they come out after use. SO MUCH LESS litter on the hardwood floors. I have Bijou's sitting on a large bath towel folded in half to catch any litter the steps miss. Bijou and Mika both use it and I love it. It does have changeable charcoal filters in the top as well. Keeps the odour down.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SchwarzeKatz

Some people said they like the Booda Dome because it is round [so obviously] it has no corners to clean.

I also like it because it's easier to clean than my regular box.
Originally Posted by gizmocat

A covered box does not seem to be necessary if you use the right litter and scoop often.
I only use it because Prego is a litter flinger and he leaves me piles of litter on the floor with an open box.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

I got the larger Booda Dome for Bijou (Mika has a regular covered box). It is awesome. Bijou is a big boy and I have never had an issue with it leaking. He has never raised the top off. To get into the dome there are sort-of steps on one side that clean their feet off as they come out after use. SO MUCH LESS litter on the hardwood floors. I have Bijou's sitting on a large bath towel folded in half to catch any litter the steps miss. Bijou and Mika both use it and I love it. It does have changeable charcoal filters in the top as well. Keeps the odour down.
Prego is a big boy too, and he has no trouble using the regular booda dome. I don't even use the charcoal filter thing. I took it out a long time ago and never replaced it.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For as long as I have had kitties I have had the Booda Dome litterboxes. I originally got it for the size, but have found that having the charcoal filter helps keep down the smell and now that I have increased the gang to 6, I also went out and purchased all new Booda Domes, the ones with the ramps. It has cut down on the amount of litter that gets tracked on the floors. I am moving next month to our new house and I am desperatly trying to find places where they will fit, but since they are BIG, I may have to get rid of them.
I am hoping to fit them in the bathrooms, but I am just not sure there wil be room. I may also suggest that if it is the size you prefer, the corner litterboxes work well for larger kitties, my husband had that one before we got married and he loved it. I think it is one of the biggest out there but then again I am really partial to the Booda Domes.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one regular sized Booda Dome for my crew, as well as two other covered litterboxes. The dome is definitely the best at controlling odor and limiting litter scatter. When it's time to replace the other litterboxes, I'll most likely get another Booda Dome or two.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittycorner

For as long as I have had kitties I have had the Booda Dome litterboxes. I originally got it for the size, but have found that having the charcoal filter helps keep down the smell and now that I have increased the gang to 6, I also went out and purchased all new Booda Domes, the ones with the ramps. It has cut down on the amount of litter that gets tracked on the floors. I am moving next month to our new house and I am desperatly trying to find places where they will fit, but since they are BIG, I may have to get rid of them.
I am hoping to fit them in the bathrooms, but I am just not sure there wil be room. I may also suggest that if it is the size you prefer, the corner litterboxes work well for larger kitties, my husband had that one before we got married and he loved it. I think it is one of the biggest out there but then again I am really partial to the Booda Domes.
Sorry if I sound like a mooch but if your going to toss them I'll take em!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I"m glad that your cats like this product. My girl prefers an open box, but she's a tracker, not a 'flinger'.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

I think that it might cost more getting them from Colorado to Puerto Rico than it would cost to buy new!
I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will fit in the new house, I might just have to make them fit, since buying all new litterboxes gets expensive and we have a baby on the way-yet another expensive conquest! I will keep you in mind if I should decide to toss them!
Do they even sell Booda Domes in Puerto Rico?

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nope, no Booda Domes here

Im actually thinking about purchasing one from Cherrybrook, but I have to speak with a Warehouse Manager to see how much is shipping. It said 2 dollars on the site when i entered the zip code but that cant be right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input! Sounds like the boodah domes are just going to be too big for my new 1bedroom apartment. I think I'll probably keep my open pan with the edging, at least for the first little while. I actually like it a lot better than most of the covereds out there (easier to get into to clean).
This box has intregued me a few times when I've walked by it. I think it's attractive, has a charcoal filter and I like the fact that the front flips up for easier cleaning. Still it's less expensive to just keep the one I have until I know where the box is going to end up.
http://tidycats.com/getpage.aspx?Con...9042&T=3615070

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Another mooch here!
Really, I've hesitated to try a covered litter box simple due to the fact that some kitties are turned off by them for having to be enclosed in the smell. It sounds as if the Booda Dome corrects this issue with their charcoal filter. Now, we're rather wanting to try it...

Don't throw them out, that's for sure! You have willing recipients waiting in line!

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't throw them out, that's for sure! You have willing recipients waiting in line![/quote]

Ok, Ok, I promise I won't throw them out, IF i do get rid of them I will make sure I put up a for sale sign and then we can take tickets and watch the fight begin for who is going to get them!

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL I am definately in line. I called Cherrybrook for shipping prices and its 20 off the bat since its an oversized item
That is not including what it weighs, which luckily shouldnt be much. So Im probably going to go ahead and order it anyway, we are getting a nasty tax in a few weeks and im better off ordering it now. Ceci better like it for 50+ dollars...lol

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

Really, I've hesitated to try a covered litter box simple due to the fact that some kitties are turned off by them for having to be enclosed in the smell. It sounds as if the Booda Dome corrects this issue with their charcoal filter. Now, we're rather wanting to try it...
Not if you keep it clean. You do have to be more concerned about keeping it clean since it's covered. I don't even use the charcoal filter and the box never smells unless Prego has just dropped a bomb!

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

LOL Ceci better like it for 50+ dollars...lol
For 50+ dollars it better be lined with gold! My husband just brought home a new little 6 week old kitten today so I am off to the store to but another booda dome! I love him to peices but he better stop bringing home strays or there will be no place left for the two of us!