Homemade frozen meals?

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you guys ever tried making your own frozen meals for the days when you're rushed and don't have time to fix something?

I was thinking that I could just make double of whatever I'm having for dinner and then freeze the uneaten part for later, then thaw it out in the microwave. Much more nutritious and tasty than store-bought frozen meals, not to mention cheaper.

Will this work for anything I cook?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do that alot (and not necessarily 'frozen' meals - I often just make something quick from the leftovers from dinner and store in the fridge overnight).

Yesterday we had roast pork and I shredded the leftover meat and (uncooked) veggies and cooked them with some orzo pasta with some sun dried tomato pesto - made a great lunch

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
When I make beef stew, soup, or spaghetti sauce, I normally make a huge batch and freeze some for days I am in a rush

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think this is a great idea. I always cook more than we need (just the two of us) so we always have leftovers for lunch/dinner.
When I make pasta and chili and soups, I always freeze some in tupperware containers, then it's perfect for those days when you're too busy. That way, you're eating convenient fast food that you know is healthy.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do that all the time...I have done shepherds pie, and casseroles...you just put a bunch in individual portions..Its the best!!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

When I make beef stew, soup, or spaghetti sauce, I normally make a huge batch and freeze some for days I am in a rush
I do the same thing with beef stew, spaghetti and other dishes. Freezing works well with a lot of leftovers. I wouldn't do it with something like steak, but there's never any leftovers of that anyway.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I always do that. Have been for decades. I live alone and it's hard to cook for one, so I cook for 4 and freeze 3 portions. For example I'll make lemon chicken and freeze a serving of that with a serving of rice. Or I'll make orange chicken and freeze one serving of that with one serving of rice. Then all I have to do is just take it out, heat it up and add a salad for a complete meal.

I will also cook a roast or a chicken and freeze complete meals instead of leaving the leftovers in the fridge to eat all week. A complete meal consists of meat, potatoes or rice and a veggie (usually I put in 1/2 cup of frozen veggies. If I use frozen veggies I make sure the meat and potatoes and stuffing and gravy etc are cool so that they don't defrost the veggies).

When I make lasagna I have one serving and freeze the rest in single servings.

I make breakfast loafs like banana bread and slice it and wrap each slice in wax paper and freeze them so I can take out a slice when I need one.

I make a few dozen muffins and then place them on a cookie sheet to "flash freeze" and then put them all in freezer bags and take out what I want for breakfast each time.

I also cook up things like pork chops, chicken breasts etc and then freeze each one in a small freezer bag (sucking out the air).

I also cook up a whole bunch of rice and freeze it in 1/2 cup portions in small freezer bags. Again sucking out the air from the bag.

I also cook things like chili, stew, and soups and freeze into single servings of 1 cup.

I also buy melons like honey dew and cantaloupe and cut them into bite size pieces and freeze 1 cup of melon with 1/2 cup of apple juice. One average sized melon of each type gives me about 10 servings of fruit.

I also make French Toast in batches. I will make up a whole loaf of bread as French Toast. Then let it cool and put 2 slices in a freezer bag, suck out the air and freeze them.

Life is so much easier, and shopping is so much cheaper doing that. All I have to do usually is take out a "dinner" and add a salad to it.

Containers I use to freeze things:

- gladware containers
- margarine, yogurt, cottage cheese type containers
- small and medium freezer bags.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Yep, I always do that. Have been for decades. I live alone and it's hard to cook for one, so I cook for 4 and freeze 3 portions. For example I'll make lemon chicken and freeze a serving of that with a serving of rice. Or I'll make orange chicken and freeze one serving of that with one serving of rice. Then all I have to do is just take it out, heat it up and add a salad for a complete meal.

I will also cook a roast or a chicken and freeze complete meals instead of leaving the leftovers in the fridge to eat all week. A complete meal consists of meat, potatoes or rice and a veggie (usually I put in 1/2 cup of frozen veggies. If I use frozen veggies I make sure the meat and potatoes and stuffing and gravy etc are cool so that they don't defrost the veggies).

When I make lasagna I have one serving and freeze the rest in single servings.

I make breakfast loafs like banana bread and slice it and wrap each slice in wax paper and freeze them so I can take out a slice when I need one.

I make a few dozen muffins and then place them on a cookie sheet to "flash freeze" and then put them all in freezer bags and take out what I want for breakfast each time.

I also cook up things like pork chops, chicken breasts etc and then freeze each one in a small freezer bag (sucking out the air).

I also cook up a whole bunch of rice and freeze it in 1/2 cup portions in small freezer bags. Again sucking out the air from the bag.

I also cook things like chili, stew, and soups and freeze into single servings of 1 cup.

I also buy melons like honey dew and cantaloupe and cut them into bite size pieces and freeze 1 cup of melon with 1/2 cup of apple juice. One average sized melon of each type gives me about 10 servings of fruit.

I also make French Toast in batches. I will make up a whole loaf of bread as French Toast. Then let it cool and put 2 slices in a freezer bag, suck out the air and freeze them.

Life is so much easier, and shopping is so much cheaper doing that. All I have to do usually is take out a "dinner" and add a salad to it.

Containers I use to freeze things:

- gladware containers
- margarine, yogurt, cottage cheese type containers
- small and medium freezer bags.
Hmmm, this sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try freezing my leftovers and see how it goes.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also buy microwaveable "TV" dinner trays (separated compartments for meat, veggies, etc.). I hardly ever have leftovers with hubby around, but when I was single I did the same - cooked for 4-6 and make frozen dinners for those nights I didn't feel like cooking or was rushed to be somewhere.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do it too...especially since I've started dieting. There are days when it's just too hectic to cook. Not everything freezes well, but there's a whole lot of stuff that does.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I worked in a nusery a while back- one of the mom's made EVERYTHING from scratch- she made all of her own baby food, all of her own food, etc..and it always looked really good. I would give it a try- just be careful about how long you keep it so that it doesn't go bad
- Lysteria (bacteria) can grow even in freezing conditions such as a freezer- so be very careful how you prepare everything and store it. Other than that, I would say it's definitely worth a try

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the American Heart Association Meals in Minutes Cookbook. All recipes are pretty simple, taking 30 mins or less. They're all for 4-6 servings, so I can make those easy recipes and then freeze the leftovers. It'll be perfect!

Need to find some of those trays Yosemite is talking about.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to freeze alot of things. Not complete meals though.

Speghetti sauce, most soups and stews get portioned and thrown in the freezer.

I also when having to brown hamburger meat make extra and freeze portions. Can be taken out and defrosted than mixed with cream of mushroom soup for a quick faux beef stroganoff, or mixed with taco seasonings, or with canned tomatoes and vegatable for a beef hash topped with mashed potatoes or served over noodles. Possibilities are endless and depend on what is in the pantry.

I cook extra chicken and shred it and freeze. Taken out defrosted and mixed with rice and broth for chicken and rice, mixed with cream of chicken soup over biscuits, taco seasonings for quesadilla, chicken broth and tomato paste and cumin over minute rice for quick mexican chicken. And so on.

I like to cook meat at one time, freeze and then make different meals out of simple pantry items so I don't get bored.

To make portioning easy I take my pyrex measuring cup and put a baggie in it with the edges out and fill to the appropriate amount. No mess no fuss.

Tricia

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

Need to find some of those trays Yosemite is talking about.
Just go to your grocery store or department store and look for the plastic "Gladware" containers.

I use the "Entree" ones for the complete meals
and the rectangle soup ones

I bought several packages of each. I love that they are durable and reusable. Freezer to the microwave and dishwasher safe too.

It's a bit pricey to stock up on the containers initially, but after that you have them and you don't need to rebuy them, unless you throw them out that is.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did that last night, i made lasagna with cream tomato sauce and with melanzane!!

I will see how that turned out tonight althought i didnt freeze it, i just stuck it in the fridge.

So now i have two meals, tomorrow i will take the rest of the lasagne to work

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just go to your grocery store or department store and look for the plastic "Gladware" containers.

I use the "Entree" ones for the complete meals
and the rectangle soup ones

I bought several packages of each. I love that they are durable and reusable. Freezer to the microwave and dishwasher safe too.

It's a bit pricey to stock up on the containers initially, but after that you have them and you don't need to rebuy them, unless you throw them out that is.
I actually have two of the kind with one big section and the two smaller sections, but I'm going to need more than two! Maybe I can find some at Wal-Mart. I can't remember where I got the two I already have.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I make "double portions" of things that take a long time to cook or prepare, like stews, soups or lasagna, and freeze 1/2 for days when I don't have much time to spend on food preparation. Hubby is really into gardening, and has a greenhouse and an orchard, so we have two freezers. Freezer space thus isn't much of a problem.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

For example I'll make lemon chicken and freeze a serving of that with a serving of rice. Or I'll make orange chicken and freeze one serving of that with one serving of rice.
Mind sharing recipes? Are they easy to make? I like to make things that are fairly quick and easy. DH and I like to eat soon after work so we can digest for awhile before hitting the gym.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

Mind sharing recipes? Are they easy to make? I like to make things that are fairly quick and easy. DH and I like to eat soon after work so we can digest for awhile before hitting the gym.
It's low fat and takes about 30 minutes or less from start to finish.

Lemon Chicken

4 chicken breasts, skinned and boneless
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
6 large mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup nonfat milk
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup scallions thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon parsley, minced, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
Minced fresh parsley for garnish (Optional)

Pound chicken between plastic wrap or wax paper with flat side of meat mallet to 1/8 inch thickness.

Combine paprika, pepper and garlic powder. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with mixture.

Spray skillet with nonstick vegetable spray and cook chicken until it is brown and cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate and keep warm.

In the same skillet saute mushrooms, stirring frequently. Combine milk and cornstarch; add to mushroom mixture. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat, stir in scallions, parsley, lemon peel and lemon juice. Spoon lemon-mushroom sauce over chicken. Garnish with additional chopped parsley, if desired.

Serves 4.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's low fat and takes about 30 minutes or less from start to finish.

Lemon Chicken

4 chicken breasts, skinned and boneless
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
6 large mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup nonfat milk
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup scallions thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon parsley, minced, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
Minced fresh parsley for garnish (Optional)

Pound chicken between plastic wrap or wax paper with flat side of meat mallet to 1/8 inch thickness.

Combine paprika, pepper and garlic powder. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with mixture.

Spray skillet with nonstick vegetable spray and cook chicken until it is brown and cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate and keep warm.

In the same skillet saute mushrooms, stirring frequently. Combine milk and cornstarch; add to mushroom mixture. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat, stir in scallions, parsley, lemon peel and lemon juice. Spoon lemon-mushroom sauce over chicken. Garnish with additional chopped parsley, if desired.

Serves 4.
Shoot, I can't find the drooling smiley
Seriously, that looks right up my alley. Maybe make some wild rice to go with it.

I like to get chicken breast tenders, so they cook faster.