Smudge update

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So Smudge has Entropion - an eye condition. The vet at the shelter I'm fostering her through said she doesn't have experience with Entropion, so would not want to just "have a go" at the surgery.

I just called a local opthalmologist and they said they generally wait until a kitten is 6-9 months old anyway because the eye changes as they grow so they want to wait until they're fully formed, and as well as that they can sometimes "grow out of it".

They also said the surgery costs $800-1000. Will anyone want to adopt a kitten who is going to need $1000 worth of surgery in 3-6 months time?

Do we want to adopt her knowing she's going to cost a whole lot of money soon? DH loves her, but doesn't really want 3 cats, and knowing how much she's going to cost isn't exactly going to win him over.

I don't know what to do

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would pet insurance cover this sort of thing? Is it considered pre-existing and therefore not covered?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
to you weighing in on this difficult decision.

I'm wondering the same thing - could something be worked out with the vet and shelter? Perhaps setting up a fund on IMOM or something in advance for her future family (whether that be you or someone else)?

I think that honesty is the only way to go with Smudge. And sometimes, the special needs babies really reach out and touch someone's heart and money isn't an issue.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She goes in tomorrow to be spayed so I'll see what they can do. I'm just so upset - we've just wiped out our savings on getting my teeth fixed, to have to spend an extra $1000 if we adopt her is huge.

I'll check out IMOM and see if I can talk to someone there about it.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. Ideally, she might grow out of it, but it doesn't hurt to look into your options now.

Good luck.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww I am sorry to hear Sumdge is not doing well and will need surgery to fix it. I Know you have alot on your mind and have alot of thinking to do I will send you lots of vibes and hope it all works out for the best. ))GOOD VIBES((( HUGSSSS

Howler and Kera send hugs too

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This poor little girl just doesn't deserve this, she's such a fighter, and such a sweet cat. I owe it to her to make sure she's properly looked after.

I'd hate for her to go to a home who realises that when she needs the surgery and they can't afford it and all of a sudden she's dumped on the street or left to get damaged corneas from getting it left too long....

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww HUGS I know how you feel. I know you just want what is best for Smudge. I would just look in to options and if you dont keep her make sure you explain all this to the people that come to see smudge for adoption let them know that she needs that much in surgery and maybe you could see if they woul dkeep you updated or let you visit to if you go down that road. But I do hope you get to keep little smudge and I know if you do that will be alot to take on, I am sorry this is such a hard time for you and I hope things get better soon. HUGS

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The problem is that she'll be adopted through the shelter, so I really don't have much say in who adopts her unless I find someone and send them along, which is what I'll be trying to do.

If you don't have an emotional attachment to her, you wouldn't choose her over a healthy kitten. If anyone has the money and knew what she was like, I'm sure they'd adopt her in a second.

I just have to find that person...

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just keep your head up I am sure things will work out. Would they let you post on petfinder or somewhere to try and get her a safe home? I would talk to the shelter and see if they would let you try and find Sumdge a home instead of them finding someone. Not sure how all that works but it is worth a try to ask right? Or if you keep her maybe the vet would work with you and set up payments. I know my vet is kind enough to do that when we are in a hard spot and one of our pets need care. I am sure if you talk to the vet about it they will work something out with you if you keep smudge. HUGS

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the support
I will be doing everything I can for this little girl.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about a benefit? When I was a poor working student, my kitty Moon-Pie needed surgery to remove her thyroid gland and it was going to cost $400. So, I printed out invitations with her cutest and most needy picture on it. I wasn't sure how it would work out but I was desperate. I cooked for three days, made all kinds of appetizers and desserts. All my friends and co-workers came, enjoyed the food and company, and gave a designated friend donations of what they could afford. We raised the money! After her surgery, since many people had asked me for recipes, I printed up a "thank you" booklet with all the recipes in it.

I hope you work something out for the little sweetie.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

What about a benefit? When I was a poor working student, my kitty Moon-Pie needed surgery to remove her thyroid gland and it was going to cost $400. So, I printed out invitations with her cutest and most needy picture on it. I wasn't sure how it would work out but I was desperate. I cooked for three days, made all kinds of appetizers and desserts. All my friends and co-workers came, enjoyed the food and company, and gave a designated friend donations of what they could afford. We raised the money! After her surgery, since many people had asked me for recipes, I printed up a "thank you" booklet with all the recipes in it.

I hope you work something out for the little sweetie.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
That is a great idea SwampWitch
I know i would donate to little smudge.
Any kind of fund rasier would be great.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey that's a great idea!!!!!

Ok, so I'm going to talk to the vet tomorrow, and see what the options are, and set up a Smudge fund. If we can't take her, I'll try to find out who will adopt her, and set up some sort of fund for her through the ophthalmologist maybe to make sure it gets done through them so I know it will get done. If she does grow out of it, then donate the money back to the shelter, or to IMOM.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovinmom828

That is a great idea SwampWitch
I know i would donate to little smudge.
Any kind of fund rasier would be great.
As would I. If necessary, I think TCS could pull together a fundraiser for the little sweety. Is their protocol for that? I remember reading something in the rules/regulations of the site about what was allowed and what's not. Any mods around?

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is a good idea too I just PM one of the Mods to ask what the rules are on starting a fundraiser on the site. I will let know what i find out.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone so much, hopefully after tomorrow when she gets spayed, and the vet has looked at her eyes more closely she can figure out a better prognosis and I can let everyone know.