Are you a cat convert?

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this has been done before, but who here is a cat convert?

I am. For years I was a dog person and when I got married last year and my wife and I talked about getting a pet I said that there was no way I was getting a cat. I thought they were all stuck up, had attitude problems, and avoided people and where is the fun in that. Most people's cats I had seen I perceived as this, especially my in-laws cat. That cat hates me with a passion

But, I started to change my mind because my sisters cat is the biggest mushy cat I've met, and our friend's cat is very friendly and exactly what we wanted in a cat.

Now I can't even imagine getting a dog. They make more of a mess than a cat does, you have to train them, and I guess cater to them more than a cat. With a cat you show them around the house, where the food is, where the litter is, and they almost immediately get it. They're more emotional than dogs and there's a bigger sense of satisfaction when they like you

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had dogs all my life though and always will. We got Miagi in 2004 and Tiger last year and it seems like we've had them all our lives..we've never had cats before.
I couldn't imagine my life without a dog or a cat now, though.
I agree dogs do make more messes, but I don't mind at all. I love them and I wouldn't be able to live without cats and dogs in the same household now that I have and love both.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a born and bred cat lover, but I also love dogs and I completely agree with your analysis about dogs being ALOT more work, I'd take 10 more cats
than another dog

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a cat convert. I loved dogs more until I got to meet all the cats at the Humane Society when I started volunteering there last January. Cats just seem to have such a wider range of emotions. I also like a housefull & I can do that on my budget & time schedule with cats. Besides....my bed isn't big enough for 5 large dogs!

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I'm a born and bred cat lover,
Same here; My mother always had a cat. And my grandmother usually had from one to three cats.
So I have always been a cat lover.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a convert!

I grew with dogs as pets and my family didn't get their first cat until I brought a kitten home from college. They had Missy for 15 years, but since I was away and school, then out on my own, I never really got particularly close to her. It wasn't until I got my first cat, Katie, now 13, that I realized what sweet, funny, beautiful creatures they are. Now, I'll never be without one (or four)

I still love dogs, though, and would love to have one if time and space permitted it.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always loved cats, but have had dogs in the past too! I just seem to have a special bond with cats - adore them all (and usually get swarmed by them in the cat room when I go to the local Humane Society to drop off food or whatever)! Cats are a lot less work and a lot more fun! I mean really, will a dog chase a laser light?

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love cats, and just got my first ones since I was 8. I love both dogs and cats! I converted my mom to cats!
It took a long time to allow me to get a kitty, and I ended up with 2!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not me...I've always loved cats. But then, I've always loved all animals (except spiders).

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am definately a cat convert. I have ALWAYS had dogs, my mother is not a cat person to say in the least. So when I moved out I naturally bought myself a pup. WOW did I get some serious headaches with that girl! I never though housetraining was so hard!

So after I moved into my second house, I suddenly got this crazy idea to get a cat! I actually did things right though, went out and bought all the essentials then started hunting. I specifically wanted one that resembled my old kitty, a gorgeous Siamese Mix. I ended up with a beautiful Calico instead.

I definately consider myself a cat person, mor than a dog person. I love tthat cats are so independent. I also love it that they have such a rainbow of emotions. With a dog, hes always happy go lucky tail wagging wanting to please kind of animal.

A cat doesnt give a hoot to what you think, but boy when they decide they want some loving!

Ive become such a cat person I have contacted her foster mom and have filled out an application for a 3month old "Siamese Mix"

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up, I was always a dog lover. We always had a dog at home, and when I moved out into my apartment, we couldn't have dogs
I was sad cuz I was going to get a small puppy. Then John's mom's cat had kittens, and I fell in love right away. That was a year ago, and then we got Davidson 5 months ago! I'm definately a cat convert - but I'm still a dog lover too

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kind of am...I love dogs but can't own one because they are too high maintenance...
Cats just sit around...usually.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
50% convert...I love my cats, but I still would like a dog. Whitey does fill in for that as he's easier to play a little rough with.

However I'm still not 100% sold on the litterbox. It's easier for me to shove the animal outside let them poop and let them back in. Less contact with the waste and also helps make the grass greener

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Grew up with dogs though I'm not a big fan. I really don't like them. My boyfriend and I were adopted by a cat. When I moved out, I left Skitters there and got Petunia who gave me 15 years of companionship. Now we have my husband's cat and two others who joined the family.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hm, i dont see myself as cat person, or dog person etc, i like having animals around. One day i will get another dog, once i find one i want.