Neighborhood cats spraying my door...

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any solutions to prevent cats from spraying my front door?
I've considered having the owner get the cat fixed but I've never seen the cat and nobody claims to own one. Feliway might work but it's so expensive.......I've researched some spray repellants but they are dangerous on contact with skin. I don't want to hurt the cat, just stop it from spraying. Thanks for any ideas.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand they don't like lemon. You could sparay or rub it down with lemons after you wash the area to remove the odor. Too bad you can't catch him if he is a stray. Just because he sprays doesn't mean he isn't neutered.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is the cat spraying your door? Do you by any chance have an intact female? If you do, is she in heat? If so, no spray in the world will stop the cat. Are you feeding ferals?

schwarzekatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hannahgirl

Does anyone have any solutions to prevent cats from spraying my front door?
I've considered having the owner get the cat fixed but I've never seen the cat and nobody claims to own one. Feliway might work but it's so expensive.......I've researched some spray repellants but they are dangerous on contact with skin. I don't want to hurt the cat, just stop it from spraying. Thanks for any ideas.
I wish I had an answer because I have the same problem and one of my neutered males has taken to spraying back in retaliation so now I have to keep the doors shut.
I tried some animal repellant granules but that didn't work.

fuzzymolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have this exact problem, but the roaming, unfixed male has sprayed not only our front door, but all the windows he can reach, the deck door and the tires on our car. Apparently he owns us now...

And yes, all of our cats have been spayed and long before we moved into this house. We shoo the guy away anytime we see him and we've never fed him, but he tends to do his "thing" either at night or when we're at work.

The vet suggested we try a mixture of strong odoured spices (like cayenne powder and such) but I haven't had a chance to try it. It's rained on and off for about a month now, so anything we'd put out would be washed away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see that many people deal with this kind of situation. I live in an apartment and it's near other apartments and I'm sure there are many cats. Through the years I believe different cats have come and marked their territory, marking doors randomly and tires...they mark doors of apartments without cats, as well....

My main concern is that it isn't sanitary for my cat....and it has such a strong odor...I sprayed Nature's Miracle all over the door this morning. Sometimes you can smell it but it's hard to figure out where it is......

Thanks...