Ferals And Ear Tipping

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question about my "outside" kitties that recently came around and i have been feeding. there is a momma her three babies a tom all very feral and two others that are less afraid and come closer than the others. its these two this question is about. i know alot of places ear tip after a feral has been neutered or spayed. am i wrong or is it the top portion of the ear is clipped or removed? these two cats have little "v"'s clipped off the side of their right ears, does antone think this is along the same lines as ear tipping? im in NY in case it varies by state.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think what you are seeing is probably an injury from a fight, are the V's exactly the same on both of the cats? how big are the V's?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i really dont belive they are from fights they are the right ear of both cats about 1/3 of the way down not very big but you can see it from 5 feet away so they are not tiny

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
huh, maybe that is a different way of ear-tipping then, I'd never heard of it

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BBDOLL22

I have a question about my "outside" kitties that recently came around and i have been feeding. there is a momma her three babies a tom all very feral and two others that are less afraid and come closer than the others. its these two this question is about. i know alot of places ear tip after a feral has been neutered or spayed. am i wrong or is it the top portion of the ear is clipped or removed? these two cats have little "v"'s clipped off the side of their right ears, does antone think this is along the same lines as ear tipping? im in NY in case it varies by state.
BBDOLL222...are you certain they have been fixed??? If you have any doubt...I would trap this family and take them in to a vet. The standard eartip is straight across the top of the left ear:

The reason that many feral cat groups choose this method of eartipping is that it cannot be confused with an injury. What you are describing may be earnotching where they cut a "v" in the ear...however if you are not sure...I would take these cats in because there is no reason to risk having more litters.

Katie

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing reasearch on where ican take them for low cost for there are a total of 7 cats I feed and only two have this V out of their ears. ironically they are more sociable than the mom dad and kittens. ive been able to pet one of the V cats the other v cat i am getting close to be able to but the other cats are extremely wild the growl and hiss if u get close

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've been doing reasearch on where ican take them for low cost for there are a total of 7 cats I feed and only two have this V out of their ears. ironically they are more sociable than the mom dad and kittens. ive been able to pet one of the V cats the other v cat i am getting close to be able to but the other cats are extremely wild the growl and hiss if u get close
It is best to borrow a humane trap and trap these remaining cats so that they can be taken to a vet. Do not attempt to bring them in a carrier as the vet will not be able to administer a sedative through a carrier as he/she would be able to do through a trap.

I believe New York has several low cost clinics that take feral cats:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/stny.html

Katie

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Hiya

I live in the UK and what you decribe sounds very much like the 'ear-tipping' used on ferals here, Except it is done on the left ear,Different places have different ways but you can tell when it's been done by a vet as the cut will be clean and straight wether top-tipped or side-tipped.
Here is a pic of one of my ferals and the tipping is done large enough to be seen from a distance.

Another of my ferals has what looks like a top-tipped ear and does look like it has been done by a vet,but I know he lost it in a fight so just to be sure I would have a vet confirm they've been done already

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks alot like that, nice clean edges too thats why i dont think its from a fight especially that two cats have it same ear and location on the ear. i'll double check with the vets and rescue groups in my area.
my family of cats momma dad and kittens never came last night or this morning for their feeding, i'm hoping its because it was raining although it hasnt stopped them before

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Yes I would contact all the local rescues and find out if somebody is doing tnr in the area,also contact rescues from outside the area as somebody local might have tried tnr locally and not got the help and so they may have contacted someone further away.

Is there any news on the missing cats? I would be very suspicious of all of them not turning up for their meals especially if they come regular as clockwork.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The three kittens have come but not the momma cat, i have seen her off in the yard though she wont come close or for meals.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The three kittens have come but not the momma cat, i have seen her off in the yard though she wont come close or for meals.
Can you trap the 3 kittens to take them in and get them vet checked and also spayed/neutered? Depending on their age..you may be able to socialize them and place them into homes.

Katie

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in California the just snip the top of the ear straight across.

You can see it on my ferals, Snowflake and Patches.

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

Here in California the just snip the top of the ear straight across.

You can see it on my ferals, Snowflake and Patches.

Wow, she's beautiful!