For those of you with tattoos... how much did it cost?

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I always told myself that tattoos weren't for me but now I am toying with the idea of getting one.

What I want is a series of tibetan words around my ankle (like a bracelet), about half an inch wide (or maybe a little more). Pretty simple, just one color (I would prefer a nice blue to the usual greyish color, but I'd have to look into that)

Anways, this isn't gonna happen anytime soon but I'd like to get an idea of how much it would cost. So if you have a tattoo, how much did it cost? (and how large / complicated was it?)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is about the size of a toonie..maybe a little bigger, and it is in colour..I think It was under $100...I LOVE it!!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I paid about £50-£60 (approx. $100) for each of my tattoo's to be done at an expensive tattoo parlour in Soho, London. I paid for expensive tattoo's as I wanted them to turn out well and I knew the place was clean and free from any diseases....
I know I could have paid half the price elsewhere but tattoo's are forever and why take the risk?

I'd consider carefully having any tattoo's in future, I can honestly say I regret some of mine

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 inch Sylvester The Cat above my right ankle. It cost $100. I've had it for almost two years......and I'm old!!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 2 1/2-3 inch butterfly on my leg and it cost $75 plus we tipped him, so it really cost about $100.

phishmarisol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't wait to get mine. It's just some lettering. About 4 inches long, maybe 1/2 tall. I've been quoted $40-60.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Must we have the Canadian to American language lesson.
Loonie = $1.00 coin called so because of the picture of a loon on it
Toonie = $ 2.00 coin called so because of the picture of a ... wait, what does a polar bear have to do with it being called a toonie!?

I must go to timmies for a double-double and mull this over

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a small tattoo that cost me $50. That is the minimum they charge at most tattoo shops around here.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Must we have the Canadian to American language lesson.
Loonie = $1.00 coin called so because of the picture of a loon on it
Toonie = $ 2.00 coin called so because of the picture of a ... wait, what does a polar bear have to do with it being called a toonie!?

I must go to timmies for a double-double and mull this over
wow...canadian money has some funny names

In the US we have

Penny- .01
Nickle- .05
Dime- .10
Quarter .25
Silver Dollar- $1.00
and there's a new coin that's worth $1.00 too i think it's supposed to replace the silver dollar? does anyone know?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bull on my right shoulder and it's about 4" x 4". 7 Years ago it cost me $50.
I have a heart on my ankle. Its about the same size and cost me $80 (more detail)
I have a kanji on my lower back, about 3" x 3" and it was $60.
I added to the heart on my ankle about 4 years ago. It says "I
R.M." and that was $30...
It all depends on the design detail and the size and how good the artist is.
I have seen people with 5-6" Tattoos that cost $200 because of the details. I have also seen people with whole back pieces and it was only $400.. THen I have seen people with $1000 tattoos.

Also ask to see some of the artists work. Pictures can tell a 1000 words. If the tattoo is really red and inflammed then they are too heavy handed and it won't heal right. The best way I can describe getting one is it feels like a bee sting. After about 5-10 mins the pain actually goes away. I think your nerve system actually shuts down that part of your body and it goes numb... At least it did for me :shrug:

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine started at $25.00 and went up to $90.00.
It depends on the design and the details that you want in it as well as the size.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Well, not EVERYONE is Canadian! We don't have them here... FREAK!
LOL!!! A $2 coin - is that like a US $3 bill?

We can't even get a $1 coin to work out in the US, never mind a $2 coin!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My least expensive tattoo was $50 about 12 years ago - it's about 2 inches long by 1 1/2 inches wide.

My most expensive tat is about 8 x 10 inches and cost me $850 three years ago but I got a huge break on the price. The artist is an international award winner and usually charges $250 USD per hour. This tat should have cost me at least $1,500.

I have six in total, and the average cost is $400. Two are very small, the largest is the 8 x 10 (so far) and the other 3 are approx 6 inches in diameter.

The best artists charge by the hour, the lesser experienced/lesser talented ones usually charge by the piece size.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

wow...canadian money has some funny names

In the US we have

Penny- .01
Nickle- .05
Dime- .10
Quarter .25
Silver Dollar- $1.00
and there's a new coin that's worth $1.00 too i think it's supposed to replace the silver dollar? does anyone know?
Its like the Saquagewea gold dollar. (I know thats not spelled right) or something like that.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ones on my arms, hmm about 100 each,
the one on my leg, was 250.

the last one i want to get is looking to be between 800-2000 dollars