need help for trip to the vet

mygypsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Gypsy six months ago from a rescue organization. She is my first cat, so I'm still figuring her out. She is super sweet, but terribly shy. I made an appointment for her to get a checkup because she's been scratching herself a lot lately and I noticed one of her canine teeth is missing. (Her gum isn't inflamed, so she probably lost it a long time ago, but I want it checked.)

I tried taking her in last week, but getting her in the carrier was a nightmare! When I finally forced her into the carrier, she sprayed and peed all over it. (She has never had an accident before, so it took me a minute to figure out what had happened!) I felt horrible, and couldn't take her to the vet that way! I let her out and cancelled the appointment.

She really needs a check up by January when her shots are due. Any suggestions??? Also, if she reacts the same way next time, do I just take her in all covered in pee?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Some things to help it along. Clean the carrier and leave it out in the room. Get some Feliway spray and spray the inside. Allow Gypsy to check it out on her own time. Put treats inside or put her food inside. All of this can help her become comfortable with it.

Unfortunately, it is important that your little darling goes to the vet. So you may have to take her in even with the peeing issue.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last time you took her, was the carrier new to her or had you left it lying around for her to play with? She might be more comfortable with the idea if you leave the carrier out with the door open and a soft towel inside to lay on. Or put a ping pong ball in the bottom for her to bat around. That way she "owns" the carrier instead of it being a scary new thing. When she's more used to it, lure her in with a treat, close the door for a little bit, then let her back out again. Work up to the point where you can get her in, close the door, and pick the carrier up and walk to another room without her getting freaked out. And make sure she gets lots of praise and a treat.

My carriers are left out as toys for all the animals. My vet has actually thanked me for doing this with the rabbits because it made them so much easier to work with and keep them calm.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I have a vet appointment, the carrier comes out the day or so before so that eveyone in the house can take a good look, run in and out and so on appointment day, no one spazes because the carrier has been out.

Normally I don't have any problem getting someone into it, but if it opens on the side, turn the carrier so that the side that can not be opened is on the floor, and the side that can be opened is up in the air. Open the gate and pick up the animal and sort of just drop her into the carrier and close the gate.

If the carrier opens from the top, you should not have too much of a problem.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have the regular 1 cat sized carrier, maybe a bigger carrier would help, too? I have a bigger one, because I have one cat who always poops in the carrier on the way to the vet
,and I put a large shoebox "cat litter pan" in it for her. It's also easier to get the cats in, even when it's 3 cats, one at a time
(when they all go for their shots, I can fit 3 of them and the litterbox in it- of course, when I get there, they are all piled up on top of each other in the litterbox
. It's kinda a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" kinda thing- the rest of the time they tolerate each other, at best
. Said all that to say this
- she may get used to it quicker, and be more willing to check it out if you use the previous suggestions and not have it freak her out so much, if the opening is larger

Originally Posted by KittenKiya

When I have a vet appointment, the carrier comes out the day or so before so that eveyone in the house can take a good look, run in and out and so on appointment day, no one spazes because the carrier has been out.

Normally I don't have any problem getting someone into it, but if it opens on the side, turn the carrier so that the side that can not be opened is on the floor, and the side that can be opened is up in the air. Open the gate and pick up the animal and sort of just drop her into the carrier and close the gate.

If the carrier opens from the top, you should not have too much of a problem.
Sorry, should have mentioned that that is how I manage to get mine in, too! It works really well!
I do have to wrap Smoochie in a towel, and just plop her and the towel both in

kayliekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately some cats are so nervous, that they have accidents on the way. I did all the above mentioned things, but my cat Murphy still peed and pooped every time on the way. I used to go to a vet that was about 30 min away, so we always had to stop for a clean up. I brought along lots of wipes and sometimes even another carrier. My vet was great though, and if it happened close to their office, they cleaned her up. Hey, most of the time I was supposed to bring a sample of their poop anyway

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I could not for a life of me get my first cat, Rambo, into a carrier without getting shredded. The only way I could take him to the vet was in a pillowcase. He loved it in there... he felt safe. Of course, that would be pretty much impossible unless you had someone go with you, so someone could hold him while the other drives.

I've also seen people bring their cats to the vets in beer case boxes, two laundry baskets stacked atop one another and twist-tied together, laptop cases, and backpacks.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a heck of a time getting Cindy into the Carrier the first time. She still doesn't like going to the vet, but it's gotten easier. She puts up a token resistance, but actually goes in pretty easily. Some of the things we've done have already been mentioned here. We actually leave the carrier out all the time. We spray with about 15 minutes before putting her in, and we put the carrier on a table so we don't have to bend down to put her in (so it's not so ackward). The first time we took her she meowed and cried the entire way there, and the fur was flying like crazy. Now she may meow once or twice.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, hopefully it will get easier for your baby (and you) over time. Good luck!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have an end-opening carrier, put her in backwards so she doesn't see what's happening til it's too late. Wear gloves. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mygypsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. The one about a bigger cage clicked with me. She really hates being confined and the cat carrier I have is very small. I have an old dog crate. I think I'll clean it up and let her explore that one. That way, even if she has an accident, she'll have more space to move around on the way. Once I have a successful trip, I'll let you all know!

alewifebp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These sound like some pretty good suggestions. I've had a problem recently with my cat after I had moved. Before I had moved, I got her used to being in the carrier, and actually went on a few drives with her in the carrier. She would put up a little fight, but she didn't seem to mind much.

Although she likes the new place a lot, and she quickly acclimated to the new environment, I did have to keep her in the carrier for several hours while the movers were moving everything. She was very quiet and calm for the most part with that. But, then came the first vet visit. She was nearly impossible to get in to the carrier, and then she had an accident on the way in. Luckily the vet must be used to this kind of thing, and she would get a good wash before she would see the vet. Now it is a major pain getting her to the vet. The drive is also longer too. I even got one of those top opening carriers thinking it would be easier to get her in, but it really didn't help.

As suggested, I was thinking about getting a much bigger carrier, and putting a small litter box in there.

mygypsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to give an update. Gypsy successfully got to the vet. I bought a small dog carrier that is quite a bit bigger then her cat carrier. I put a little treat in there, she wandered in, and I shut the door. I felt guilty, but there was no fuss.

Unfortunately, I have to take her back for some dental work. I'm sure she'll put up a fight getting in the carrier, but at least she has a little room to move in there!

jadedlaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mygypsy, I live in San Jose as well, and wondered which vet you are going to for your kitty, and what you thought of him/her? I am still on the search for an outstanding vet.

Alex

mygypsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's actually a little ways out of town. I took her to All About Pets in Union City. We were familiar with the vets, as they took great care of our dog before he passed away. I was going to try to find one closer, but it's too hard to just pick a name out of a phone book. They are very thorough and friendly. I'd recommend them.

jadedlaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mygypsy

It's actually a little ways out of town. I took her to All About Pets in Union City. We were familiar with the vets, as they took great care of our dog before he passed away. I was going to try to find one closer, but it's too hard to just pick a name out of a phone book. They are very thorough and friendly. I'd recommend them.
Thank you for the recommendation, but you're right, that is a bit far. I don't want to stress my sidney out longer than I have to with a long car drive.

I currently take her to Evergreen Veterinary Clinic in SJ, but I would like to find a vet that specializes in cats only, like the vet I had in Sacramento.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless your cat is really freaked out by dogs or dog scent, I wouldn't worry about that. One of my friends tried out an all cat clinic, and still didn't care for the vets. She's back at a dog and cat clinic. My last 2 vets whom I really liked did large and small animals
. I guess I'm saying, that unless it's necessary, don't limit yourself in a vet search

jadedlaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Unless your cat is really freaked out by dogs or dog scent, I wouldn't worry about that. One of my friends tried out an all cat clinic, and still didn't care for the vets. She's back at a dog and cat clinic. My last 2 vets whom I really liked did large and small animals
. I guess I'm saying, that unless it's necessary, don't limit yourself in a vet search
I appreciate the advice. Ultimately, I want a vet who is not only competent but also compassionate.