How can I get my cat to eat pumpkin?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Supposed to feed her a T-spoon of pumpkin a day, and she doesn't like it. I've tried mixing it food, and she licks at the food a bit, but if she's getting any, it's sure not a Tablespoon. Any tricks or suggestions to get her to eat it will be appreciated (fyi, she's a dainty eater. I give her 1/2 of a small can of food and she eats maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of that, 3 or 4 times a day).

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you mixing it with dry or wet food? When I feed Gizmo pumpkin he wouldn't eat it with his dry food so I had to mix it with his canned food, then put in the microwave for a few seconds. It took a couple days but eventually this method worked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm warming it a bit and putting it in her wet food. I just gave her a bowl and she sniffed and sniffed and sniffed, then ate a little bit. When she was done, I looked at the bowl, and it looked like she found a small area where the pumpkin didn't get mixed in.

While I'm on the subject of pumpkin - how long does it stay good after you open a can? (in the fridge of course).

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

What is the pumpkin for?
Digestion. Oddly enough, it helps for both diarrhea and constipation.

Originally Posted by Misty8723

While I'm on the subject of pumpkin - how long does it stay good after you open a can? (in the fridge of course).
It should be okay for a day or two in a container with a lid (glass or plastic).

jasonarcane4565

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I know it sounds funny,but if you smear it in her fur around her tush SHE WILL EAT IT!I've had so many exotics,it takes tricks sometimes..Good luck,Jason

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why don't you try plain or vanilla yogurt instead? just a tsp. it does the same exact thing and cats tend to like yogurt better then pumpkin.

tigs mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How much vanilla yogurt and how often?

My cat is lethargic, passing pebbles instead of regular stool. He was this way before and vet gave him rx to loosen things up. I've been giving him hairball treats. Even double them, but now he won't eat them. I also give him indoor cat/hairball food and food for sensitive stomachs.

I upgraded to the high priced high protein food after reading how bad the grocery store brands were, poor in protein, and his hairball/thow up got worse. So I'm back to basic Purina hairball/indoor cat. It's what he likes. But he's not really eating much of that now.

He does not like pumpkin. He will eat it if I put on my finger and wipe on his tongue, but that is not good for either of us.

He's also a highly anxious cat. We moved in February and he's become an indoor cat. Terrified to go out in the enclosed "catio" without someone with him. Terrified when the doorbell rings or when he hears men's voices. I am certain a man kicked him as a kitten before we rescued him from rush hour traffic.

All tips appreciated.

Linda W