Nakita's health update

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a few inquiries into how Nakita is doing so thought I'd post an update.

For those not familiar with the story, Nakita started pulling the fur from her chest, scratching her ears and throwing up every day. The vet thinks she may have food allergies and possible IBD (this is in addition to the feline hyperesthesia). The vet placed her on short term Prednisone to give her body a chance to rest while the new food has a chance to take effect.

Nakita has now been on Prednisone for 3 weeks. First week - 1/2 pill daily, second week - 1/4 pill daily, third week - 1/4 pill every other day. She started to throw up again right after we went back down to 1/4 pill every other day.
We went back to the vet last week and we're going to see how she does on 1/4 pill every day.

We're also changing her food to rabbit and pea instead of duck and rice. Nakita may be allergic to rice and I wanted to avoid that as a final diet measure. Plus, I'm not sure if the Prednisone or the food or a combo of the two is causing her to be constipated.

We're also changing her litter from Swheat Scoop to another to see if that might make a difference. We started using Swheat Scoop around the same time that vomiting and itching started, so we're now changing that final variable as well. Other than that, we use no toxic cleaners, only have hard wood for flooring and we do not use any flea medications. We also have held off on vaccinations to see if that was a source of the problems.

As long as everything goes ok with the new pill dosage , we're going to wait a month and then go for allergy testing. It's a new test the vet just started using that looks promising. It's fairly inexpensive and only requires a blood sample, so we'll try that. If that doesn't work, we may have to go through the alternative testing, where they shave a patch of fur off her stomach and do the scraping allergy test (like in humans), but that requires Nakita to be under anaesthetic which I'd like to avoid right now.

Keep your fingers crossed that we'll get to the bottom of this and Nakita will be her old self again.

~Kass

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

We're also changing her food to rabbit and pea instead of duck and rice. Nakita may be allergic to rice and I wanted to avoid that as a final diet measure. Plus, I'm not sure if the Prednisone or the food or a combo of the two is causing her to be constipated.
There's also the alternative of venison and pea by Natural Balance. Are you familiar with that?

We're also changing her litter from Swheat Scoop to another to see if that might make a difference. We started using Swheat Scoop around the same time that vomiting and itching started, so we're now changing that final variable as well.
That sounds like a good idea. We tried the SwheatScoop, but stopped when I noticed Jamie was sneezing when he used the litter box. That stopped when we went back to clay litter.

As long as everything goes ok with the new pill dosage , we're going to wait a month and then go for allergy testing. It's a new test the vet just started using that looks promising. It's fairly inexpensive and only requires a blood sample, so we'll try that. If that doesn't work, we may have to go through the alternative testing, where they shave a patch of fur off her stomach and do the scraping allergy test (like in humans), but that requires Nakita to be under anaesthetic which I'd like to avoid right now.

Keep your fingers crossed that we'll get to the bottom of this and Nakita will be her old self again.
~Kass
We had a blood test done on Jamie. That was a couple of years ago, and it was really expensive and not in widespread use back then, but it did pinpoint allergens. Good luck with these measures, Kass. I'm sure you're going to find a solution!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I really hope things continue to improve for Nakita. Poor thing has been through a lot.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you can finally pinpoint an allergy so poor Nikita can be much more comfortable again!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lots of hope for continued improvement and that you can narrow down what is making poor Nakita so uncomfortable

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully these last changes will make all the difference for her
Hang in there...hopefully a cure is in sight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. All your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by jcat

There's also the alternative of venison and pea by Natural Balance. Are you familiar with that?
Yes, we tried Venison and Pea first but Nakita backed away from her bowl. I guess that would make sense, can you imagine a cat taking down a large animal like that in the wild?
If the litter change doesn't make a difference then for sure we'll be going for allergy testing.

I just want Nakita to be healthy for once!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww poor Nakita.... hopefully it will all be under control soon. Heres wishing you the best.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the news - your vet certainly is trying everything. Constipation has not been a problem with Wellington, who takes Prednisone for asthma, so maybe it is something else (or a combination) that is causing that. Good vibes for Nakita!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nakita, baby, you're so gorgeous and loved with a world of friends who all care about you and your Mom.
You remain in my prayers, beautiful, girl, please feel better very soon. This must be so difficult for you, Kass, and you're taking such wonderful care of Nakita, as always. Big hugs to both of you from us

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update on Nakita, Kass.

Hope you start feeling better Nakita.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you talked to her breeder to see if there are histories of such dilemmas?