But I want to finish my book!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really didn't realise that getting a cat meant I would never again be able to sit down with a book and read it in peace. As soon as I pick one up and settle down with it, Radar either a) launches from the ground headfirst into the back of the book, or b) launches from the back of the sofa into the middle of the pages.

I made the mistake of putting a book down on the sofa and turning my back, only to find that he had gone to sleep right on top of it. It can't be comfortable. But my dilemma is: do I try to get my book out from under him, or do I let him sleep?

I want to read

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I really didn't realise that getting a cat meant I would never again be able to sit down with a book and read it in peace. As soon as I pick one up and settle down with it, Radar either a) launches from the ground headfirst into the back of the book, or b) launches from the back of the sofa into the middle of the pages.

I made the mistake of putting a book down on the sofa and turning my back, only to find that he had gone to sleep right on top of it. It can't be comfortable. But my dilemma is: do I try to get my book out from under him, or do I let him sleep?

I want to read

The question becomes... how good is your book? Is it something light that you can go back to, or is it so good you will disturb you 6 month old kitten from his wonderful resting spot. When 8-Bit does this, I am often reminded that he wakes me up EVERY night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

The question becomes... how good is your book? Is it something light that you can go back to, or is it so good you will disturb you 6 month old kitten from his wonderful resting spot. When 8-Bit does this, I am often reminded that he wakes me up EVERY night.
Good point! But he is curled up with his leg across the book and his chin on his paws. And he might go back to catastrophizing the flat if I wake him

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that all the time! One of my boys is so fluffy that I can't SEE the book under him and I wander around like an idiot thinking I lost it!

I gently ease it out and he looks at me like "HEY, MOm! I was reading that!"

You may have to find another book...>Next time, use a decoy book

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, Radar should grow out of that dive bombing stage..I usually read in bed and Trout doesn't even notice now..she used to dive bomb the book, but now she's 2 and a alittle more mature

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good Luck! I guess mine never matured because they want to come and lay on the open book when I try to read!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he rolled over onto his back and I was able to rescue the book. I went and lay down on the other sofa with it, and within 10 seconds Radar had located his now-missing 'pillow', strolled over, and lay down between my face and the book, with his head resting on the pages. And he drooled on it

I have given up and returned to the computer, and I now have him curled up on my lap, half dozing, but awake enough to bat my fingers as I type

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason I thought you were talking about NaNoWriMo!

Just hide in a different room, and close the door.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Good point! But he is curled up with his leg across the book and his chin on his paws. And he might go back to catastrophizing the flat if I wake him
The question to ask here is: how good, exactly, is this book?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

For some reason I thought you were talking about NaNoWriMo!

Just hide in a different room, and close the door.
I spend enough time away from him when I am at work, I like it when he wants to snuggle, alas he and I have different ideas about whether snuggling and reading can be done at the same time - I say they can, he says 'stop looking at the book, I need ALL your attention'

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

The question to ask here is: how good, exactly, is this book?
One of Patricia Cornwell's crime novels - I wouldn't mind, but I'm just getting to the denouement, I want to know what happens!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need 2 books on the go, so when he sleeps on one book, you can read the other one

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Epona reads at least a book a day- she speed reads at a rate that baffles me...
Sometimes I wish she would put the book down too

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby loves to lay on my books when I'm trying to read. I usually read in bed and found a compromise. I hold the book in my right hand and she cuddles up next to me on the left and I give her pets and scritches as long as she wants. If she happens to be on the right side, then I hold the book in my left hand and scritch her with my right. This seems to work for us unless I put the book down on my chest to take a brief break to rest my eyes.... then she climbs up onto me and lays down on the book, hehe

katydid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My solution to that?

Big, heavy physics books. Neither of the girls find them comfortable, and I know I'm getting a head start on my upper-level classes. =D

Then again, Sarai (the furry debacle) just walked across my boyfriend's keyboard while he was writing a post (Giants game, blahblahblah, message board, etc.) and left kitty prints all over it.

But she's so cute. All I can do is laugh.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually lay on my side to read on the couch. Mooch will just sit on top of me and purr. Sometimes she sits on my shoulder and purrs into my ear...that realllllly tickles! So for thoes times, I cover myself with a blanket from toe to ear and just leave my face sticking out.

phishmarisol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even a few months ago my cat would try to get all over any book I was reading. Now she couldn't care less. However, she always tries to sit right on top of all my papers when I'm finishing up my work on sunday nights. One time I left them out and she started eating the corners...I guess if I'm late I could tell my boss that "my cat ate my work".

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sibohan and I have an agreement. I lay flat on my back to read my book while she lays on my chest and knaws on the bottom corner of the spine. Duke has tried this but he weighs so much it restricts the airflow and I toss him off.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Sibohan and I have an agreement. I lay flat on my back to read my book while she lays on my chest and knaws on the bottom corner of the spine. Duke has tried this but he weighs so much it restricts the airflow and I toss him off.
Just do what I do: breath intercostally. Duke will love you for it.

(Plus, any males in the vicinity).