Need some input on my abyssinian

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really like to show Dion as a Premier. I don't want to put him in a show if he is going to be disqualified. So I need some input on his markings on his neck, and chest area... the necklace...

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, I personally, wouldn't show him...there's just too much white...

Love the eyes and muzzle though!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Premier classes are sometimes worse competition then the adult classes. I agree, he's got a little too much white and the barring on the legs seem too noticable. How old is he? His coloring is VERY nice - deep and rich from the picture. Do you have some body shots from the side?

IMO (are you from USA or foreign) the ears seem a bit larger and not as wide set as our USA abys.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed the barring but put it down to not brushing at the time the pic was taken.

And if there are more pics, a head profile would be nice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL he does have big ears!

I found this pic with his partner in crime, Dion is the abby in front...

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dion is in the back in this photo..... I would have loved to have shown him... The other abby Frankie is a pudge ball with a dynamite personality!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I could show Frankie I would in a heartbeat... He has a super outgoing personality.. He loves people and going for rides in the truck. He would love the attention from the judges. He has to much white too! I actually considered putting Frankie in a household division since I haven't sent his papers in yet to cfa. I posted about Frankie before....
He would really love a cat show... No matter if they are showable or not I love them sooo much!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby,

Did you buy them as show alters or just as pets? If pets, the fact they have too much white for showing is why they are pets. They might make a great cat for "showing" but standard wise, they would fall short as there would be better quality out there.

If you really want to get into showing abys, then go for a showable alter and have fun - but get a better quality (type/color). Both of those do have very nice color - just that they do have their faults

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. It was a fun thought! I still want to put Frankie in a household division in a show. I still have not registered him yet with CFA. His little personality is so awesome! he would thrive at a cat show just for fun! He loves everybody!

I actually wanted to try to put him in a program for visiting people at hospices. I called the Red Cross in my State and they don't offer any kind of program like that. It's sad because he would really be a perfect little guy for that!!

Thanks for your input...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you are from the US

In that case, the older one has way too big of ears and the ear set is not right. Take a look at the winners in breed on CFA's site and read the standard. What cattery/lines is he out of. I haven't seen an aby with those type of ears (unless it was from one of the foreign catteries - their standards are a bit different then ours).

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Again, I have to agree with GK on this..you can try to show them under HHP - that will work if he/they are great showmen!

I too would be interested to know what lines they are from...it's not so often you see soo much white on abys nowadays and such ears! But then again, what I see is only on the internet and obviously breeders would not put up their pet q on their website!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Again, I have to agree with GK on this..you can try to show them under HHP - that will work if he/they are great showmen!

I too would be interested to know what lines they are from...it's not so often you see soo much white on abys nowadays and such ears! But then again, what I see is only on the internet and obviously breeders would not put up their pet q on their website!
Why wouldn't a breeder put their pet quality cats on their website? Some people just want to have a pet quality cat, like me.

I understand that these guys are not ideal show quality cats, but I see white on the chins of several ruddy abyssinians that are shown as chanmpions and Grand champions... I do see where you might see a lighter color on frankie, but I think its the lighting on the camera because he doesn't have white anywhere but his chin and neck area.

Dion is the older one and he is also a ruddy.. He is the one who has the bad necklace and big ears. He by far does not have alot of white on him.. It could be the camera..

It was just a simple inquiry... I am very happy with my boys and love them very much!

Thank you for your input Goldenkitty. I sent you a pm as to the cattery. I didn't feel comfortable posting it on a public forum.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I didn't mean any offense and I'm sorry if I offended you. The white should be around the mouth, chin and upper neck area. There are show cats with white in them (mine do) but it does not extend so far down to the chest...

And of course you are happy and in love with your Abys! Anybody who has one (or two or more!) would be in love with them! They're just wonderful cats!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was meant by not putting pets on the web site is that a breeder is trying to show interested people the quality of cats they have and produce. We all know there is absolutly nothing wrong with pet kittens, They just don't fall into the standards for what ever reason, be it the head/ear shape or color flaw. So they will put up their best cats to show the quality they produce. When looking for a kitten people will see these great quality flawless cats as an example of what the cattery produces. When some one is showing their cats they use for breeding or to show colors/patterns they will put the best they can up. Of course when they have a available kitten page they will put a picture and advertise it as a pet, but as far as showing their quality, they will put one with as close to perfect as they can, verses putting, for example, a pet quality bi-color with too much white or white on the ears. They are trying to sell their cats and show their quality, so they put as few as possible of mis marked pet quality. They are competing with other breeders, so they want to show off their best cats, thats all that was meant by not putting pet quality on their site.
I am sure no one was trying to offend you, or say your cats aren't as good, we know they wont be loved less because they have more white then the CH or too big ears, ect, it's just when looking at web sites by breeders they are putting ideal show cats on them that show less flaws, so what you are seeing is show cats on breeders sites.