Christmas presents, moms please read need advice

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my step nieces presents the other day. For the six year old I got her two barbie dolls, a barbie chais lounge, and a barbie jeep type thing. For the three year old I got her a baby doll that you feed and change, and a small play stove when you turn the knobs the pots on it sound like they are really cooking the food. And I got my sister a Lotis candle holder and the candle and a really nice picture frame. And my nieces stuff is still on layaway. Do those sound like good presents for the two girls for their ages. My sister thinks they are too old for those but I don't think so I mean Ashley is three how is she too old for baby dolls.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my coworker's daughter is 6 and will happily take all of the above, but every child is different and their parents would know best what they like.

To be honest, some kids and parents are ungrateful and should just be glad they are getting anything at all without all the worrying that goes into finding the best gift.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my sister is still trying to figure out what they like herself and I haven't gotten to meet them yet and I was mostly going based on their ages. Their daddy said for me to get them what I wanted to. But I want them to be happy with their gifts. When I told my sister what I got for my niece, she said well don't get her a bunch of junk unless you plan on getting the other two the same amount of things. And while I don't mind buying them presents I have never met them and I don't think my sister should demand that I buy them anything but simply be glad that I am getting them something, even though I would never just buy Kaylee something it wouldn't be fair.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a nephew and a niece due this week. To be honest the baby is going to be spoiled and won't actually understand it being a nw born so I am not getting much for my niece for xmas... I am spending enough helping my sister out and on the birth gift. My nephew, however, is already feeling a little left out so I am buying him a few extra pressies to remind him we still love him (his mom is trying for a baby and he is a little worried we will all go gaga over the new baby like we are with my other sister and forget about him). I have no problems buying more for one than the other.

I also have three close cousins and am godmother to the youngest, she gets something 'bigger' (because I am closer to her as well as the godmother link) and her sisters have always understood.

The other thing is kids tend to think in numbers (unless you are buying them something big) so they would be happier with 3 cheaper toys than 1 more expensive one... like my nephew wants me to buy him a set of 12 cars because his dad thinks they are a waste of money - they are $15 but he will spend $50 on a roaring lion that my nephew is scared of

I totally agree that you would buy more for the child you are closer to (actually knowing them) than someone that you have never met

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those gifts are PERFECT and age appropriate! I have an 8 year old niece and I love buying girl stuff. Kassie my niece wants more of the Brats dolls so that's what I'm getting her for Christmas.

You picked out perfect gifts. The baby doll is going to be a hit with the 3 year old. Your 6 year niece is going to love the Barbie's as well. My only problem when I bought Barbie's is whether I was duplicating ones she already had. Didn't matter to Kassie. She would tell me they were twins!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing about Kaylee is she is my first actual niece so I am extra proud of her. She will be ten months old at Christmas time so I got her a rocking horse, a riding toy, and a baby leaps toy. And I plan on trying to find her something cute and plush as well and I plan on buying the three year old a giant teddy and not sure what else for the six year old I thought about getting her a little jewelry box although my dad says I don't need to get her that.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Those gifts are PERFECT and age appropriate! I have an 8 year old niece and I love buying girl stuff. Kassie my niece wants more of the Brats dolls so that's what I'm getting her for Christmas.

You picked out perfect gifts. The baby doll is going to be a hit with the 3 year old. Your 6 year niece is going to love the Barbie's as well. My only problem when I bought Barbie's is whether I was duplicating ones she already had. Didn't matter to Kassie. She would tell me they were twins!
My cousin was easy her daughter loved horses, she took after me, and so every year I bought her horses for her collection. And her brother loved john deere so I bought him that. And her sister not so easy the little brat is like my sister.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A jewelry box is very good. She doesn't have to keep jewelry in it but anything special. You could say it's a treasure chest. One more idea for the six year old is a purse. Little girls that age love to play dress up or even feel like a grown up. Kassie has tons of purses and loves everyone!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DD is 16 and STILL plays with her Barbies!!!
I think those are GREAT gifts!!!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think those gifts are perfect!

I have trouble shopping for my Step Son, but i am working on getting something for him...hes kinda funny in what he likes.

My Step Daughter made it easy for me this year. She gave her dad a list of things she likes from my website, LOL

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think you did a wonderful job picking out their gifts. they are lucky to have someone so thoughtfull and generous

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the gifts you picked out are perfect! I couldn't think of anything better then what you have chosen.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My daughter is 3, and she loves baby dolls or just dolls in general. She HAS to have all of her 5 in bed with her at night. lol