Stray Kitten At Farm

petkeepr7789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't updated in awhile. Well anyways today I went down to my local farm and while I was there I saw the cutest little kitten. This kitten was really small, I say it was about 8 weeks old and with no mother. It looked pretty dirty and very skinny though. I felt so bad for the poor thing. I wish there was something I could do for it. The farm has tons of cats around, but don't feed them. The poor kitty made me feel so bad. I was thinking maybe I could ask them if I could take it and nurse it to health, but I don't know if I can handle anymore cats. He doesn't look good though, and I'm one of those people who just can't stand seeing a cat like this....

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by petkeepr7789

Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't updated in awhile. Well anyways today I went down to my local farm and while I was there I saw the cutest little kitten. This kitten was really small, I say it was about 8 weeks old and with no mother. It looked pretty dirty and very skinny though. I felt so bad for the poor thing. I wish there was something I could do for it. The farm has tons of cats around, but don't feed them. The poor kitty made me feel so bad. I was thinking maybe I could ask them if I could take it and nurse it to health, but I don't know if I can handle anymore cats. He doesn't look good though, and I'm one of those people who just can't stand seeing a cat like this....
You know what would be even better??? Getting this farm to TNR all the cats...that way, the colony would be stabilized. Below is a link to TNR groups by state:

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html

There are also a couple of really good brochures that you could give to them:

http://www.alleycat.org/tools.html

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petkeepr7789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Katie, I'll try looking into it.

petkeepr7789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks furryferals,
I went down to the farm today, but no one was around, but the kittens were still there. I gave them some food and they went crazy! The poor things are starving.
I need to help these kitties and fast.

petkeepr7789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I am going to go down to the farm in a little bit. I'll see if I can help them...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck! Sorry I probably didn't catch you before you head out. But thank you for wanting to help these kitties!

I was going to say.... when you meet the people who run the farm (or find someone who works on it), remember - you catch more flies with honey.

If presented nicely rather than in an accusatory fashion, we find that many people are actually very receptive to the idea.

There are several restaurants, a car wash, and one farm around here that now feed the cats (doesn't detract from them being good mousers). We did the trapping, and we went in 50/50 with the owners on spaying and neutering. Might help if you're armed with info about low-cost spay/neuter services available in the area....

Good luck!

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
I've still got all my fingers crossed and all my kitties have their paws crossed too

Are you going to try to catch the kitten? if its feral you may need a trap or if you can't borrow a trap maybe you could use a net and a cat carrier.
I would only use the net if needed in an emergency if the kitten is really poorly....cos if you miss..... there won't be another chance.
If your catching the kitten be sure to keep it away from your own cats till its got the all clear from the vet.

LDG has a very wise point with the honey.

Maybe you could point out the vermin they catch can make them ill and cats don't get all the vitamins and minerals they need to fight off illness and infections if they just live on vermin alone
Sick cats don't catch rats and all that

Good luck

petkeepr7789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I went the other day and yet again no one was there and I didn't want to just take the kitten without clarifying it with them first. The kitten is very very sweet, he comes up and greets you everytime and just jumps right up on your lap. He is such a sweetheart, so i don't think I have to catch it.
In the meantime I have been giving all the kittens and cats food and water everyday to try to help them until I get in contact with the farm owner. The other day there was a little tiny orange kitten in the road, it was horrible, its eyes were swollen shut and pus was all around them.
It's only the kittens too, the adult cats look fine. It has also not been good weather lately (thunderstorms) and I haven't gotten a chance to get down there since. I hope I can get down there soon, I don't know how long that one kitten will survive, because it is blind and can only depend on its hearing.
Well I really wasn't planning on doing it in an accusatory fashion. Also, that is the point I am trying to prove, I am trying to convince people that they can't live on vermin, and that they need more than that. Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions and help.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by petkeepr7789

Well, I went the other day and yet again no one was there and I didn't want to just take the kitten without clarifying it with them first. The kitten is very very sweet, he comes up and greets you everytime and just jumps right up on your lap. He is such a sweetheart, so i don't think I have to catch it.
In the meantime I have been giving all the kittens and cats food and water everyday to try to help them until I get in contact with the farm owner. The other day there was a little tiny orange kitten in the road, it was horrible, its eyes were swollen shut and pus was all around them.
It's only the kittens too, the adult cats look fine. It has also not been good weather lately (thunderstorms) and I haven't gotten a chance to get down there since. I hope I can get down there soon, I don't know how long that one kitten will survive, because it is blind and can only depend on its hearing.
Well I really wasn't planning on doing it in an accusatory fashion. Also, that is the point I am trying to prove, I am trying to convince people that they can't live on vermin, and that they need more than that. Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions and help.
I think if you can convince them to fix the adults (TNR) that would have a tremendous impact because then you wouldn't have sickly kittens being born.

Katie

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Oh dear,the poor little kitty R.I.P little ginger kitty

Thats not good is it,I was wondering what time you go to the farm,just because some farmers are up at 4 in the morning so have to go to bed at about 6pm sometimes
earlier.
I would take a pen and paper next time and if there's still no answer get the blind kitten and leave a note saying you found an injured kitty near his farm and if he thinks it is his then to call you.
If the kittens come up to you they are probably quite tame so they will have a very good chance of finding homes if you can get them.
The blind kitten needs to be caught asap,It is very very lucky to have survived for so long,one day the mother will leave them to fend for themselves and then it probably won't survive more than a few days.

Good luck and i've still got my fingers crossed

petkeepr7789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for all the helpful information. I still haven't gotten a chance to get down there, its been thunderstorming for over a week now its horrible, it looks like its going to be nice on Friday so I'll go down then and see if I can help them.