HELP!!! 8wk old kitten confined for next 8wks CRYING non stop

toomanypaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OKay.. so our kitten broke it's leg, it fell off the arm of my couch don't ask I thought cats always landed right not mine!

So the vet says the kitten has to stay confined for the next EIGHT weeks no running,playing climbing etc. So that's all well and good right, vet suggestions getting an extra large dog crate to confine her in. So we just happen to have an extra large dog crate as we have one rottie puppy and another coming in 7wks.

We set the crate up nice for her with a litter box,hide out thing from petsmart, towels to curl up in, and a couple small toys. We also take her out every couple hours to hold her and love on her. We are on day 2 of this and since 8p last night she's been crying non stop unless she's being held. We can't keep her out nonstop as she's not to run,play etc. I have other cats,dogs and kids so being out will not keep her in the type of activity level she's allowed to have per the vet.

How do I keep her from crying non stop... it's driving me batty. I hardly got any sleep last night because of it, and you can hear her outside my house I'm starting to getting worried that someone is going to call animal care and control on us.

HELP please my nerves and ear drums can't take any more of this...

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible the kitten is in pain? Perhaps you could call your vet and see if some medication is needed?

mypuddycat333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get her a mother sized stuffed cat whose "fur" feels like a real cat's fur. Maybe she will think it's her mother? Who makes you feel better when you are a child? For me it's my mom.

firebirdmagic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have a ticking clock, wrap it in a towel and put it in the cage, it worked for me but it has to be real low level, kinda like a heartbeat...Mike, Medford ore

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My latest foster cried when left but it did die down after a couple of days, so fingers crossed yours will. I did try a clock under her bed.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet can determine if it is pain or just the need for companionship. Is it the cry of an "abandoned" kitten?
If it is not inconvenient for you, you can try putting the kitten in those quilt tote bags and carry her wherever you go. I have a friend who raised a cat that way and now she can bring it anywhere even to the movies. The cat is so quiet and still I accuse my friend of drugging her cat!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Drape a warm blanket over the top and around the sides of the crate to create a dark, warm, cave-like place for Baby. The suggestion of a stuffed animal toy is a good one ... they make one specifically for kittens with a beating heart sound already installed. Check at Petsmart for it.

wout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ouch, sorry to hear about the broken leg

Cats only land right when there's enough time, so it's not just yours

When falling down, they will first put their head in the right position and then turn the rest of their body accordingly. They can do this really fast, but falling down goes kinda fast as well. As opposed to us, their chances of getting hurt get smaller when falling from a higher place.. There's limits to that, of course: don't go throw your kitties from great hights without a parachute now

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

... you can try putting the kitten in those quilt tote bags and carry her wherever you go.
A tote was my first thought. A lot of good suggestions here. Poor kit,
her world is suddenly upside down. If you're familiar with homeopathics, chamomilla might calm enough for all to sleep. along with the suggested clock, toy, and cage cover.