Does anyone know....

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelf life of Keflex? I have some here and it was dispensed 6-15-06 but I can't see the expiration date from where the kids peeled the label off. I called the ER and they said the only thing they could do is prescribe antibiotics and send me on my way. I figured if I had them here, why waist a trip

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I first read this as "shelf life of KLeenex" and I'm like huh?
Kleenex can go off?

Anyway, in regard to the antibiotics - firstly, if they were dispensed this year, personally I would still take them. They don't dispense then if they're close to expiry date.
Secondly, are they the right antibiotic to take? You've got to be sure you're not going to do more harm than good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I first read this as "shelf life of KLeenex" and I'm like huh?
Kleenex can go off?

Anyway, in regard to the antibiotics - firstly, if they were dispensed this year, personally I would still take them. They don't dispense then if they're close to expiry date.
Secondly, are they the right antibiotic to take? You've got to be sure you're not going to do more harm than good.
I called the pharmacy and they said it will work for it... I hope.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, in that case, I'd try it. You're in a lot of pain and have to do something.
What about still going to the ER and getting a pain killer though?

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw a thing on TV about prescripton medication and they said they don't go bad, it's just that they may not be as strong But they are required to put the date on them and I can't remember the exact reason

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

I called the pharmacy and they said it will work for it... I hope.

Is it for your toothey? Keflex is for a bacterial infection and that's what a tooth deal is, I would think it should help....Hope it does

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Well, in that case, I'd try it. You're in a lot of pain and have to do something.
What about still going to the ER and getting a pain killer though?
I have vicodin... if ya see my posts from last night, they work well

Originally Posted by halfpint

I just saw a thing on TV about prescripton medication and they said they don't go bad, it's just that they may not be as strong But they are required to put the date on them and I can't remember the exact reason
I have heard that too.
Originally Posted by halfpint

Is it for your toothey? Keflex is for a bacterial infection and that's what a tooth deal is, I would think it should help....Hope it does
I'm praying it does help. If not, my mom has some amoxicillian that I might take.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ummm, just please don't drive anywhere today! Especially if you're still seeing 3-eyed cats!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take them!!!! They'll atleast get the infection under control.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take them. Just prescribed this June, so should be fine. And you've checked with the pharmacist, so you know it's the right medication! And Lord knows, we all know that the vicodin - let's say - was very effective last night!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

I would take them. Just prescribed this June, so should be fine. And you've checked with the pharmacist, so you know it's the right medication! And Lord knows, we all know that the vicodin - let's say - was very effective last night!

I'm sure there will be a 2nd rendition of it tonight!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to admit- I have bad expiration date practices! I'll take a prescription even if it's over 2 years old! I also self diagnos if it involves Flexeril

Heck- I'll even eat leftovers for up to a week! I would definetely take them.... June??? Of the same year?! Those are brand new!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

The shelf life of Keflex? I have some here and it was dispensed 6-15-06 but I can't see the expiration date from where the kids peeled the label off. I called the ER and they said the only thing they could do is prescribe antibiotics and send me on my way. I figured if I had them here, why waist a trip
Ummm, why do you have left over antibiotics in your home? The idea behind antibiotics is to take them until the prescription is empty (IE: 7 or 10 days or whatever the duration was for) and not only until you are feeling better.

Just because you start to feel better doesn't mean the infection is gone. Bacteria use that to their advantage and develop immunity to antibiotics which is why we now have antibiotic resistant bacteria that nothing can cure and end up killing the person.

As for "shelf life". Not long. I would suggest throwing those out and getting a new prescription and making sure that you take all of them to make sure the infection is really gone.

Also, it's not advisable to take other people's prescriptions. Just because your Mom was prescribed Amox doesn't mean it's the right one for the infection you have. Bacteria are pretty smart. Some strains of bacteria are billions of years old, and they didn't live that long for nothing. They develop defenses against things that try to kill them. Please don't give them any more advantage than they already have by helping to create more antibiotic resistant strains

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Ummm, why do you have left over antibiotics in your home? The idea behind antibiotics is to take them until the prescription is empty and not only until you are feeling better.

Just because you start to feel better doesn't mean the infection is gone. Bacteria use that to their advantage and develop immunity to antibiotics which is why we now have antibiotic resistant bacteria that nothing can cure.

As for "shelf life". Not long. I would suggest throwing those out and getting a new prescription and making sure that all of them are taken so that you don't end up with leftovers
Too late... I took them and it's going away.. and I had them because the Dr had given a 30 day prescription to DH because he was bite by a spider and told him to take them for 10 days. He then went to the Dr and he said he no longer needed them after 10 days but to hold on the the extra just in case he seen anything else happen.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad it's going away Dixie!!!
I keep any left over Antibiotics also.I've been given 2 scripts for after my tooth has been pulled and the Densist said to only fill one.And then do the other if need be.
I've also known to not finish all antibiotics and keep what is left over.But, that is a rare thing.