When first dating someone do you

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Introduce them to your pets and watch their reaction to the people. I do that and I see if they really like animals or if they are just telling me they do. And do you require that any date like animals or atleast is nice to them even when they don't like them.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I couldn't be with someone who didn't at least like animals, because if it ever became serious and we moved in together the cats (and hamster) would be coming too. So yes, I would introduce him to the pets and see how he acts around them. If you are dating them, they are most likely going to see your pets more than once and you can guage their 'real' reactions to the pets.

My BF always says he knew I was the one for him when Boomer (who used to be very timid and shy) jumped up on my lap and went to sleep, so I guess I had to pass the kitty test. Bumper liked me the first day he seen me and Magnum still doesn't like me on occassion but he doesn't like anyone so we ignore his opinions on people

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband passed the Sheba test.

My ex-boyfriend didn't. That's why he's the ex.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH Bumper has a 'friends' test too - if Bumper doesn't like them they rarely stay friends for long (obviously he knows me better than I do).

Someone who I thought was a friend (and turned out to be a real *%^&$%) met Bumper for the first time and he just growled (not the usual play and I will pretend I am annoyed growl, but a full down low on the ground fur sticking up 'big cat' type growl)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think just makes sense to introduce them to your pets. How far can the relationship go if he doesn't like your animals ( or vice versa).

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not date anyone who doesn't like/have pets. My crew are nothing to judge by. Opie is always anti-social, Buddy eventually warms up to anyone who scratches his ears and Rowdy is a little tramp. SHE just likes men and will jump into ANY man's lap.

The dogs are inclined to like anyone, as long as I introduce them.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband was not a cat person when we first met..... My cats went to work on him really fast! Mort(RB) really took his heart when she brought him her precious little stuffed toys and dropped them at his feet. When she became so ill with CRF it was my husband that learned to do the sub-q's. Needless to say my husband and I have 6 wonderful cats. He has a stray who has adopted him, he set up a space in the garage with a heat lamp and food! He takes that cat for rides to the store and buys him cat treats!

The cats worked their magic!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely!
I always see a guys reaction to my animals and my animals reaction to my guy. If my animals don't like him- he's pretty much gone because they're an excellent judge of character
/ And if a guy doesn't like my animals or at least try to get along with them- i won't date him. My animals are my babies. Hehe, luckily I meet Colin- and he loves my furbabies (except that rascaly rabbit of mine- she's a little meanine) and they all love him
Hehe, he even lets me keep my foster kittens at his house when they need to be seperated from my kitties- is that good guy or what!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

Introduce them to your pets and watch their reaction to the people. I do that and I see if they really like animals or if they are just telling me they do. And do you require that any date like animals or atleast is nice to them even when they don't like them.
Yep! I love my babies and anyone I'm with better love them too!!!!

About 4 years ago I tried a few of those internet dating sites. I made sure that when I placed my ad that I mentioned that I have 2 cats and that one of the qualities in a man that I was looking for was that he also like animals.

One guy who replied seemed "normal" compared to some of the losers on those sites. However in our first conversation he said he was allergic to cats and came right out and suggested that I get rid of them so that he and I could meet and if things went well, date.

I burst out laughing in my living room and told him that given the choice between a man, especially one that I don't know, and my cats, that my cats win. He couldn't believe that I picked my cats over him, LOL I laughed some more and then promptly put him on ignore, LOL The nerve of some people!

I would never be with someone who didn't love and respect and protect animals! I couldn't even be with someone who hunted

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really know..I haven't dated since my breakup 4 months ago, so I'm not sure..I think any new guy would have to like Trout..not just ignore her.
It would totally suck if you met an awesome guy and he hates cats....I would boot him out, but it still would suck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay what I think is this. I am a very sweet, smart, and loving girl and my girls are a top priority and if I settle for a guy who doesn't love them then I am cheating myself because there will always be some kind of conflict and I don't think you should start out a relationship like that. So no I wouldn't date anyone who didn't love my girls and probably have some pets of his own and he would have to accept that my girls are inside and they are a part of my family and they are allowed on my furniture and my bed.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Nate and I met I lived in the dorms, so we didn't have that opportunity. I got Abby after we had dated for over year. He imed me pictures of his family dog, Sadie, and I asked him about cats- we both wanted to make sure we were animal lovers. I would mention animals during a first date, just generally, like if I see a puppy I'll say something about it being cute and say I love dogs.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
white cat lover and I were just talking about this.... I don't really date, but somehow I don't think we'd get much past the Hi, I'm the crazy cat lady and have 13 cats part
I don't care how much of an animal lover he is

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

white cat lover and I were just talking about this.... I don't really date, but somehow I don't think we'd get much past the Hi, I'm the crazy cat lady and have 13 cats part
I don't care how much of an animal lover he is
That's what I was just thinking Katie! I only have 5...but I've never really been on a date. If he don't like 'em...I don't like him....even if he is Vin Diesel!

I guess I'd introduce him to Ophelia. She's probably the best judge of character & would rip his eyes from his head if she didn't like him.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! Did someone say Vin Diesel
mmmmm, now that is one hot hunk of man!!!!!!!!
I could watch XXX over and over again just to see him
- hehe, glad i'm not the only one with a Vin Diesel crush