Cats with color changing eyes!

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think my Shami definately has color changing eyes. I can almost see them change colors it happens within minutes. Goes from a pumpkin orange to yellow to an eerie faery green. Seems like when he's riled up his eyes will be orange, and when he's calmed down they'll be green. Haha, thought it was kinda cool so had to share. Anyone else have cats that have color changing eyes?

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gypsy's don't so much change as much as there is a variation in color. If her pupils are dialated, all that shows is yellow, but as they constrict and more of the iris shows, they're a beautiful celery-green. The more they constrict, the deeper the green gets.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's so cool that you got the pics to show how Magnum's eyes change!

Ophelia's change, too, but it isn't quickly. Some days her eyes are more yellow, and other days they are definitely green.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Carly's will go from an orange, to yellow to green. Not that quickly though.

dreamweaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both male cat has gold/green eyes and when they are ingured they are brown.
My female has green but the green shade changes on her mood. But her kittens have hazel eyes. sometimes their brown, sometimes green sometimes gray. They are erie looking when they are gray.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about cats, but over the course of my life my eyes have changed colour.

I was born with blue eyes, they changed to "chestnut brown" and as a teenager they went to "hazel" and now they're "green".

My brother was born with blue eyes and for most of his life he had "green" eyes. Now they're a "blue-grey".

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Whitey and Luna are playing and happy, they're eyes will change color.

I guess I never noticed until this post...I thought it was common.

Anyhoo, Whitey has the green/light yellow eyes that will turn to a medium yellow.

Luna has what I call hazel eyes for a cat (green, brown, yellow mix) and they turn to a copper-gold when playing.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Carly's will go from an orange, to yellow to green. Not that quickly though.
Java's look orange most of the time, but sometimes a different lighting will catch them in more of a 'green' mode. i don't know why - they're really more orange than green. i have examples, too.
orange eyes

green eyes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I don't know about cats, but over the course of my life my eyes have changed colour.

I was born with blue eyes, they changed to "chestnut brown" and as a teenager they went to "hazel" and now they're "green".

My brother was born with blue eyes and for most of his life he had "green" eyes. Now they're a "blue-grey".
I know my eyes change with sun exposure. My hair too. Normally they're pretty pitch black, but the more sun I get the more copper brown (almost a red brown sometimes) my eyes and hair become. I'm also pretty sensitive to sun, can't stay out for too long or my eyes get blood shot and teary.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh cool i did not know that eye color it had name,

i have been told my eyes change, from blue to gray?
i never really noticed. just what people have told me.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When Willow is ticked out of her mind, her eyes are dark orange. When she's happy and/or frisky, they'll be a pretty green. I don't have any pictures showing it, though. Trust me, I've looked, but all the eyes appear the same color in each shot, lol (must be the flash, lol). Same goes with her coat, too, by the way. The happier she is, the lighter the color and the softer the coat. But the madder or upset she is, the darker the color (steel grey is the color that comes to mind) and the fur appears unkempt and isn't quite so soft. I find it really fascinating, but it doesn't happen with Buffy or Molly (their eyes change a little bit, but it's barely noticable with Molly, and Buffy's eyes just change from dark yellow to light yellow)

queensyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

I think my Shami definately has color changing eyes. I can almost see them change colors it happens within minutes. Goes from a pumpkin orange to yellow to an eerie faery green. Seems like when he's riled up his eyes will be orange, and when he's calmed down they'll be green. Haha, thought it was kinda cool so had to share. Anyone else have cats that have color changing eyes?
My "soulmate" Atticus Catticus has similar eyes..................
When he is laying in the sun on the patio (there is a birdcage....outside but without the chance of an accident or kidnapping! Screened in roof and sides.....) his eyes are peach with light blue/teal around the edges.....it reminds me of a tropical vacation! When he is tired/sleepy (close to bedtime) they turn a slightly darker shade of peach than normal and he gets specks of bright green in them. When he wants to play or is curious/excited they are always a bright greenish blue, almost a bright shade of jade. I once stumbled upon an article about it being usual in a special but rare breed of cat. I haven't thought about it again until recently and I am trying to find out more information.....as well as the original article! It seems that now that I am looking for it, it does not want to be found........
SYDNEY

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew a girl with one brown eye, and one grayish color eye when I was really young, but I never knew the cause of it.

I heard people with blue eyes tend to have their eye color change sometimes.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hehehe i have 2 different colored eyes ones green and the other is brown but the brown changes to hazel sometimes it all depends on my mood

But stormies eyes change colors all the time they go from yellow green to green green and I love it when her eyes are green green!

skyre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That may be a issue depending on the cat. Most eye colour changes will be to do with their mood. You can tell as if you play with them their eyes may change like my cats eyes change yellow and when shes relaxed they turn green but if they change yellow and orange it can be a sign of eye issues.

my tiny terror

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, and oh my goodness I thought i was seeing things, I had to google it.  and you described the same thing i was seeing, my kitten gets crazy and bites and scratches and when she is hyped up her eyes  turn orange, I thought i was crazy, and when she is calm her eyes are a grayish green.. yep. same type of thing.