Interview next week!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eek!!!! It's for a job I REALLY want. It has great future opportunities, is in an area I'm experienced in, and I will be able to use the degree I'm currently studying, and it's for Google!! You can't get a much cooler company

The only thing is... it's 4 x 45 minute interviews all in a row!!! That's a whole lot of interviews. And one of the interviews is with someone pretty high up who will be quite intimidating. And I don't have the technical knowledge yet. And I think one of the interviews is going to be quite technical.... I'm getting scared!!

Now I have to find a way to tell my current job I need ALL of Thursday afternoon off!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck and I'm sending get the job vibes your way!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3 hours of hard interviews!!!!!! Man my head is going to explode after that. Any tips on how to stay focussed for that long?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck sweetie!!! You are going to do great!!!!! (((vibes))) I hope all goes well!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarah, try to not let anybody intimadate you........although that's easier said than done huh? Just remember, if you show respect, manners and friendliness, those three things will take you far when meeting new people......and as for the big wigs, they are people, just like we are....they put thier pants on one leg at a time...........

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a Communications major in college, and took an entire class on interviewing methods. Here's some advice: use the SAR method. When presented with a question state the Situation, go through the Actions you took, and then state the Resolution. Be as specific as possible. This will keep you focused, and keep the interviewer on track with their questions. What I have found is the easier you make it on the interviewer the better your chances on getting the job.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck Sarah, everything will go great

For my current job, I had no experience and there were three interviews, and one with the entire office that I would be working with. It was so nervewracking..and still I don't know how I managed to impress them..BUT It was meant to be and I had never wanted another job more...so it worked out...and it will for you too

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
From what I understand about Google is that they are looking for people who fit into their corporate culture. Which is why there is such a heavy duty interview process. They really like people who like to solve problems.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I was a Communications major in college, and took an entire class on interviewing methods. Here's some advice: use the SAR method. When presented with a question state the Situation, go through the Actions you took, and then state the Resolution. Be as specific as possible. This will keep you focused, and keep the interviewer on track with their questions. What I have found is the easier you make it on the interviewer the better your chances on getting the job.
Thanks, that is excellent advice, I'll try to remember that!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

From what I understand about Google is that they are looking for people who fit into their corporate culture. Which is why there is such a heavy duty interview process. They really like people who like to solve problems.
DH works there, so he's giving me heaps of advice, and I've been there heaps of times, so won't be intimidated by the Googleplex, and I know one of the interviewers well who is the one who wants me in the job, so having her have confidence in me is good.

I just have no technical experience yet, so if they want someone who knows how to code now, I'm gone.

I'm going to tell my current job that while they're all wonderful, I realise it's not the career for me and put in my resignation. If I don't get the Google job, I'm going to look for something else more suited to me. That's going to be a fun conversation...