URGENT! i cant tell if my cat is dying!

georgydude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
a couple days ago i woke up and my cat (11 years old) was having trouble walking, and it seemed like her rear left leg wasnt working properly. I was really worried that she might have broken it, but she didnt seem to be in pain, even when i touch her leg, she just seemed scared. Usually she runs away from people when they go near her, and she never lets anyone pick her up, but she was so weak that all she did was mew a couple times and then stop. I needed to get to school, so i told my dad to take her to the vet and i left her wrapped up in a blanket. while i was at school, my dad called me and told me he couldnt find her, but then later called me and told me that he found her hiding under a table and she wasnt eating or drinking anything. When school was over, my best friend (as usual) drove me home and he came inside and we checked on the cat, who was now hidng under my bed (she sumhow made it upstairs. My friends looked at her and said that she looked really bad, and that we needed to get her to a vet right away, so i wrapped her in a sweatshirt and we got in his car and sped to a vet. We went in and told them we had an emergency, and they took us and gave her a check up. They said that they couldnt find anything wrong with her, but her blood pressure was a little low and she was a little bit dehydrated (which made sense, because she wasnt drinking all day). They said their best guess was that it was a stroke, and they recommended letter her stay overnight. My dad said she could stay overnight, but he didnt want to pay for any blood tests or anything (he's not a very big animal lover at all). He picked her up the next day while i was at school after spending the night, and my friend and i called the vet on our way to my house to ask her how she was. The vet said they didnt have any results, because my dad didnt want them to do anything, which pissed me off. They told me to give her pedialyte to keep her hydrated, but she wasnt eating or drinking anyway. When we got home, i found my cat laying on the floor, weak as before. We picked her up and tried to give her pedialyte using a syringe. She was slow to take it, and it took me a while to get her to drink it, and she only took a few drops. I also tried giving her some food, which she just nibbles at once and dint eat. I felt like she was going to die that night, and i slept near her. Last night i woke up a few times and found her in different spots, first on the other side of the couch she was sleeping on, then down the basement, then opn the floor near me (each time i carried her back to the couch.) I thought this was a good sign, because she was moving around and walking a little bit. Today after school i went to my cat and gave her sum pedialyte, which she seemed to drink down a lot easier, only missing a few drops, so i thought she was doing better and would probably be ok. she also started mewing at me, and i guessed that she wanted food, so i gave her sum and she ate some of it (about a little less than half a can). I thought she was doing a lot better and would be fine. Some other things i noticed was that she smelled kind of strange, which i thought smelled kind of like the grape pedialyte. One thing that scared me today was that i was lying down and watching her, and her eyes moved in opposite directions outward, until i could only see the whites of her eyes. I jumped up, scared, and she quickly returned to normal. A couple times i saw her eyes seem like they were drifting, but not quite. She's been trying to walk around and run away from me, and is started to get mad again when i pick her up. I held her while she walked around for a little bit, and the whole time she seemed like she was trying to get away from me, which i thought meant she was returning to her normal self. The only things that are strange right now to me, and dont seems like shes improving, are that she has a bit of a funny smell and her eyes are slightly drifting to the sides once in a while (i think, but not sure if shes still doing it. anyway, i read sum stuff on the internet and from all of the information i got, it seemed like she was not improving and that she may be dying at any time. Im really scared. Can someone please give me some information/advice, or tell me wat is going on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

georgydude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ive been trying to convince my dad to take her to one, but he wont. He keeps saying that its too expensive, and that we can take her tomorrow, but we cant let them keep her overnight. I feel really helpless, i just want to know wat's going on.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always feel so bad when kids post because they are unable to convince their parents to get the pets to a vet when they are sick

Sweetie, I am not sure of the details on your situation... so all I can suggest is that you beg your Dad, pitch a fit if you have to, but your cat needs to see a vet. We can't tell you what's wrong or if your cat is going to make it. Only a vet can do that. Do you have any other family members who will help you out, an aunt, uncle, older sibling, anyone?

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I always feel so bad when kids post because they are unable to convince their parents to get the pets to a vet when they are sick

Sweetie, I am not sure of the details on your situation... so all I can suggest is that you beg your Dad, pitch a fit if you have to, but your cat needs to see a vet. We can't tell you what's wrong or if your cat is going to make it. Only a vet can do that. Do you have any other family members who will help you out, an aunt, uncle, older sibling, anyone?
And we really can't do anything to help, cause of all the laws in place. If we could somehow contact a local vet and have THEM contact the family.

Maybe georgydude can do an internet search for a vet in his area that has an e-mail address, and give them a way to contact his home directly???

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw, honey...I am so sorry your Dad doesn't want to take her in, I am sure you feel helpless.

Obviously being at the vet immediately would be the best thing for her, but it sounds like that is not going to happen. Maybe if you talk to him, he will reconsider allowing the vet to run a few tests. Are you going to go with them? Maybe ask the vet if they will allow a payment plan so your Dad won't have to pay it all at once?

In the meantime, keep working on your dad and if it happens that there is NO WAY to get the cat to a vet tonight, it sounds like you are doing the best you can for her, definitely keep offering her the pedialite and food if she will take it. But I would suggest trying to keep her quiet and not try to pick her up unless needed. Make her as comfortable as possible. When animals are sick, picking them up when they resist can stress them out and stress isn't good for illness, kwim? I would keep the lighting low, have a soft, warm place for her to rest and try to comfort her in the ways you usually do.

I wish I could tell you what is wrong with her, but only a vet can do that.

{{{HUGS}}} to you and your sweet kitty. I hope tommorow is a better day for you both and that the vet can do something for her.

georgydude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thx for the help. I went online again and searched for information about strokes for cats after remembering what the vet said, and it all said that cats usually recover pretty quickly (much easier than humans do) after having strokes, but are usually wobbly in the rear legs and lose their appetite for a while. That made me feel a lot better, now im really hoping it was a stroke and not anything else. I'm still worried though, but there's nothing i can do besides that. I just had a long conversation with my dad, and he said he doesnt want to have to spend a lot of money on treatment if the vets dont even know if it will work, but we're going to another vet tomorrow to get a second opinion. My friend (the one who drove me from school and to the vet) said that he'll do anyhting to help, and that if my dad wont sign anything for the cat to get treatment that she needs, i could give him the cat and he can get his dad will sign, and i can pay the vets. anyway, i hope things work out. I really hope she'll be ok, i know that being 11 she's an older cat, but she doesnt seem old enough to me.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well good news that you will take her in tomorrow.

Hey, maybe if the tests or treatment would cost more than your dad would like, the vets office might like you "work" there some to pay off the bill. You can clean cages and feed animals, that might count for something.

Good luck!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please, if I made offer a couple of thoughts. She needs to have a full senior panel run, including thyroid levels, a urinalysis, and re-check her blood pressure, these at the very least. With your baby being at the dignified age of 11, renal failure and thyroid issues are very common. It's interesting to me that her BP was low previously. High BP is one of the very top causes of strokes in our kitties. Please make sure to learn her blood sugar, as well, along with liver labs. At this point, it's such a great time to get any health issues under control!

Once again, I'm so relieved she will be going to the Dr. promptly, whether it's with your Dad, or, bless your friend, his Dad. Your precious baby is so fortunate to be loved so deeply by you, and I know she loves you so very much! Another repitition, please, please, let us know how your little one is feeling and what you learn from her appt. We are incredibly happy to help you further understand any lab values, diagnosis, or treatments.

georgydude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well good news, shes still alive. She seems better, or at least she doesnt seem any worse. Last night she ate a whole can of cat food very quickly, so i think thats a good sign.I also found her in a different spot this morning than where she was last, right next to where i was sleeping, so I guess its good that she can walk a little bit. we're going to the vet today, so i think she'll be fine.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im glad your baby is doing better now, Im sure this must have been so scary!

I dont know what could have happened to her, but I do have a small suggestion: If you are still giving her Pedialyte please buy the clear ones. Dont buy grape or orange flavors, that may cause more upsets

georgydude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well the vet just said that it still could have been a stroke, but now it looks more like it was an injury. they gave us medicine that might make her feel better, but theres a good chance that if it is an injury it will be permanent. but thats not the maIN thing that im worried about. shes been eating a lot more and walking around the house more. Now shes been walking around a little bit, but usually she walks into another room or spot in the room, and then just stops and lays down for a while. Shes also been going over to eat her food without me having to go give it to her. Shes still falling a lot though when she walks, but it still seems like shes getting a little better. The main thing that im worried about though is that the vet said her bladder is full, so she hasnt been urinating. If she doesnt pee in a few days, it could kill her, so i really hope she will star peeing. The vet didnt know if she couldnt or if she just wont. Im getting really worried now, but the vet also said theres a way i can squeeze it out, but its not very practical to do it every day.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you need to consult a vet, not peeing can be incredibly serious and while their bladder can be expressed manually, it should only be done after being shown, or it can cause damage. Good luck

wickedcube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats good that you found a vet who is willing to help you, and your cat knows that you love her and Im sure she will be okay. I was not lucky when my tiny toot went to rainbow bridge. Before she entered the bridge I was turend down by a couple of Vets because I had no money to pay for the visit and I was very upset that a person who has a heart for animals would turn away from a pet who is in medical need. My tiny toot died in my arms which will be one year on Nov 21st and if a Vet would of treated my Tiny Toot she still be alive today and I carried the anger with me for months and there should be a law to allow a Vet to treat an animal and make our some kind of payment arrangements. But my Toots is in a better place now. I have three other cats and they Vets who turned me down I NEVER take my cats to them. Hang in there okay and keep praying for your cat.

georgydude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
shes not doing very good at all today. She seemed like she was getting better for the last couple of days, and she was walking around and eating, but today shes like she was the first day. Shes not moving much, and all she does is lay there and breathe, and she didnt eat anything today and barely drank anything. We were going to take her to the vet today but we couldnt cuz my dad had to work, so i had no way of getting her there. My dad said he would take her earlly tomorrow. I'm really getting worried, she looks really bad.