IDEAS for what a vet may not have thought of?!??!!

moocow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night I posted about my girl siamese who started sneezing Sunday, so on Monday we took her to the vet. She was diagnosed with upper respiratory and given baytril.

On Tuesday we had to leave for an out of town funeral so we gave her a dose of meds and went on our way. We expected to see her with some improvement when we got back yesterday which we did. Only now our boy siamese was coughing and lethargic... and refusing to eat or drink even his favorite of favorite treats. Over night we heard him throw up several times. Actually he threw up on ME twice. But it was just clear fluid as he hadn't eaten anything. I took him to the vet first thing and...

After running blood and urine work, taking his temp, and an xray, they decided he didn't have the upper respiratory (or FeLV, the tested for that too) mostly because he didn't have a fever (incidentally when I took our girl in they said she just had a temp in the upper range of normal). He did have an ear infection which was evidenced in his blood work. The vet also said he had elevated levels of something that was indicative of diabetes but for the time being didn't talk much about it since he doesn't have the classic thirst sign of it... and we have other pressing problems right now. His xray showed his stomach to be inflamed but no problems with anything else. So they did an endoscopy to make sure he hadn't swallowed something and found nothing... except the fact that his gag reflex is so sensitive he was gagging while asleep.

They're keeping him over night where I assume they've administered antibiotics for the ear infection... I'm some how hoping that his tummy irritation is due to an oncoming upper respiratory infection triggering his gagging which inflamed it and the meds will take care of that, too... but maybe I'm just hoping too hard. If they call me tomorrow with news of still no progress, I'm trying to think of things to suggest they test or do that they might not have.

Has anyone else ever seen this?! This is the sweetest baby either me or my husband has ever seen, and I can't stand the thought of losing him, especially since he's only 2 years old.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MooCow

I do not have any advice to give you but I wanted to offer my support. Hugs to your family and cats. I hope they get well soon. Hopefully someone will come along soon that can give you advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moocow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your good wishes.

I feel like pacing and wringing my hands. We don't have human kids, but whenever someone asks us if we have kids we say.... of course, they just have fur. Me, with my human family history of "sudden" death, I tend to expect the worst when I find out someone is having medical difficulties. So I'm preparing for the worst while begging for anything but. He's such a sweet, intelligent, and almost overly affectionate soul... I just can't stand to see him hurting.

I hope someone here has some experience with something like this... that's all I can say.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MooCow

Thank you for your good wishes.

I feel like pacing and wringing my hands. We don't have human kids, but whenever someone asks us if we have kids we say.... of course, they just have fur. Me, with my human family history of "sudden" death, I tend to expect the worst when I find out someone is having medical difficulties. So I'm preparing for the worst while begging for anything but. He's such a sweet, intelligent, and almost overly affectionate soul... I just can't stand to see him hurting.

I hope someone here has some experience with something like this... that's all I can say.
I can't help in terms of what may be causing your cat's problems - but I just want to say that I understand what you are going through emotionally. I have 2 'kids' - one has fur and 4 legs, and the other has 2 legs and feathers. If either are ill or need treatment I am beside myself - so I just wanted to give my support to you at this time

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your first kitty had upper respiratory, that stuff speads like wildfire. Perhaps you are correct in thinking that the oncoming upper respiratory in your second cat has triggered other problems.

He is at the vet's now and as safe as he can be under the circumstances. I know it feels to have a sick cat. You just feel so helpless. Loving headbuts and soothing licks from KittenKiya's Clan to you, and get better quick headbuts and take your medicine licks to your sick babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moocow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had hoped beyond hope it would be that simple.

Yesterday the vet confirmed he was on an IV for liquids and antibiotics and recommended he stay a few days to see if that clears it up. One would think those two things would make a dent if it were upper respiratory, although he does agree that it all seems to be centered around that area.

He cleaned out his ear yesterday because he was obviously in pain, holding his head cocked to one side. He said there was a glob of whatnot stuck to his eardrum. But early this morning he called to tell me that late last night he had to perform an emergency tracheotomy because he was having trouble breathing... and is now recommending that he go for a CT scan. As ironically humorous as I'd normally consider a cat getting a cat scan, I cried all morning.

What really struck a nerve was when the doctor said that despite all of this, he is being very sweet and calm whereas most cats are not. That just served to remind me of what's so special about my little baby. He's only two years old but yet the silliest, sweetest, most affectionate, tolerant, laid back cat I've ever seen. And I just can't bear this.