Another Wedding Wrinkle!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so, god news and bad news:

The guy from the Fairmont is going to give us a CRAZY discount. Everything, from dinner, to drinks, to The Cake to hors d'ouvres, to whatever entrees we want, to changing rooms, to linens, to service (including coat check and bathroom attendants), to a free suite for Ian and I, to changing rooms all day, to a ballroom on a private floor to an open bar, to hot towel service and chilled salad forks, to all the rentals...for $150 a person INCLUDING tax, tips and service fees.

THe bad news?

We have to change our date AGAIN (this is the 4th time) to January 12, 2008.

This is going to cost circa $15,000, wheras before, we were looking at circa $22,000 for less amenities.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery? January is sort of a rough month to be in Chicago...but 70 of my 100 guests already live here...another 12 live in Milwaukee, the rest live in either Florida or Montana with maybe 5 people who are undecided as to where they'll be in a year.

Ugh. Sigh. Decisions, decisions!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I say if the date doesn't hold any special significance, for that amount of a discount I say change it! its "only" 2 months and a winter wedding can be so pretty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh, the date isn't really important in and of itself....but this is the 4th time we've changed it!!

Plus, we want to spend the smallest amount of time living together before the fact (as do my parents), but that's not a really huge priority. We can do an extra 2 months

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Fairmont is a really great hotel, and their banquet spaces are beautiful. I've had some meetings there, and their staff is really good to work with, too. I'd stick with them, if you can, unless keeping your original date is important to you.

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would agree -- if the date isn't important... then go with the other date (I really would love a winter wedding... although I'm perfectly happy with mine!).

Btw, are you on the Modern Brides board at all? I ask because there's a gal who calls herself Ally....

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Then the question should be... what do you want to do?
How do you feel about changing the date again for the 4th time? Is the two extra months going to create friction with your parents or even between you and your fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e? Do you like the extras that they are willing to give you for making the change? Is it enough to make it worth it?

Do you have an alternate place you are willing to use?

Sorry about the questions just trying to help!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Then the question should be... what do you want to do?
How do you feel about changing the date again for the 4th time? Is the two extra months going to create friction with your parents or even between you and your fiancée? Do you like the extras that they are willing to give you for making the change? Is it enough to make it worth it?

Do you have an alternate place you are willing to use?

Sorry about the questions just trying to help!
Honestly, my dad, my fiance, the best man and maid of honor and MYSELF would LOOOOVVVVVEE the extras and celebrity treatment we'd be getting. The wild card is my mother who is getting awfully peeved with the whole thing.

The only reason I hesitate is because those first couple weeks of January have been know to be full of, you know, blizzards that shut down the city. But then, almost every person on my guest list is just a Metra/CTA/Milwaukee line ride away from the Fairmont, which is right downtown and EXTREMELY accessible. When we get a huge blizzard, the city stays shut down for 8-12 hours, just to keep that in mind. My dad, who is a Metra rider, has however, only missed work ONCE in my entire life because of snow.

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it extremely likely that there would be a huge snow storm? I guess my other question would be: Who is paying for it? If you are paying for it, then you should be able to do what ever you want. Although I do think that if your parents were paying for it, they'd be happy to get a nicer deal!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might sound stupid but have you checked the weather for the last couple years during that time frame?

You said about 70 of your guest are in the area and that means you are local and know just how to get around unlike the few out of towner's coming in right?

Just what exactly is your mom peeved about? The 4th date change or the extra time living together? Could you work around her peevishness?

If the date doesn't bother you and don't mind the extra living together time. Than I think the only factor is Mom and the weather? Those are tough to fight!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaleetha

Is it extremely likely that there would be a huge snow storm? I guess my other question would be: Who is paying for it? If you are paying for it, then you should be able to do what ever you want. Although I do think that if your parents were paying for it, they'd be happy to get a nicer deal!
Mommy and Daddy will be footing the bill for this (no judgments please!), so everything has to get their final approval. Really, though, it's a pride thing that they can provide this to me, and my parents are adamant that we save money rather than spend it.

Also, I'm not on Modern Bride...I'm on TheKnot, but they're actually really snotty and mean! So, I am, of course asking my trusted TCS buddies for their input!

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hear hear on difficult bride forums! I would much rather discuss wedding stuff with you guys (although I am SO busy now I am never on!)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The weather can be pretty nasty at various times, and I am sure there have been bad days in November at some point, I wouldn't worry about the chances of it completely shutting down the city.

So I say go for it, the extra pampering will make the day that little bit more special and with most of the guests being relatively local, shouldn't put anyone out... as long as you don't mind the change of date and it wont affect any of the other wedding arrangements you have made so far