Litterbox liners?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here have problems with their cat destroying the litterbox liner? I thought that by using the liner, it would be a much easier way to keep the litterbox clean. Marcie (who I recently adopted) seems to like to put as many holes in the liner as possible. It isn't limited to the bottom of the liner, it is way up on the sides too. Should I just give up on the liner?

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Does anyone here have problems with their cat destroying the litterbox liner? I thought that by using the liner, it would be a much easier way to keep the litterbox clean. Marcie (who I recently adopted) seems to like to put as many holes in the liner as possible. It isn't limited to the bottom of the liner, it is way up on the sides too. Should I just give up on the liner?
In all honesty, I'd give up if I were you. She might be scratching through it accidentally or she may just not like it. I dont' use liners and it takes me about 10 minutes to clean and dry the litter box. And I have covered boxes. An uncovered box would only take about five.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use liners, but since my cat is declawed she does not go through the bottom of the liner.

JohnnyCat's is the toughest, I found.
I tried using the pan without the liner and the results were disgusting, so I vowed not to do this again.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Marishka took it as her job to destroy any liner (well, I ended up using trash bags actually) I put in the box. I bought a litter box hastily when I first got her, and didn't realize it was a sifting box at purchase. Theres the pan, and a sifter pan that goes in next, and then the hood. I was just putting the liner over the sifter. Finally I realized that I could just put the liner in the pan under the sifter, and she couldn't get to it to destroy, but I still had the ease of just pulling the bag up to throw away the litter. (But now I have the Scoop Free automatic litter box, and couldn't be happier with my liner free lifestyle!)

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frankly for me the liners were more trouble than they were worth.
All of our cats clawed right through the liners so we just gave up on them.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't waste money on litterbox liners, it's not worth it!

Here's a tip I got which seems to work...before filling up your litter box with your choice of cat litter, lightly spray wth whole interior with Spam or something similar...it will stop the poop and pee from clinging to the sides. But you do have to wash out the litter box very well with good quality dish washing detergent before refilling!

Does this help?

kayliekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think those liners are a waste of money too. Using a good litter and washing out the box often enough is all you need to keep a clean box.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I believe you're refering to Pam
heh. otherwise the cats would never leave the box.

with my fosters I tried the liners but they were a totally waste of energy.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used a liner once. Never again. Waste of money and just made a bigger mess IMO.

They accidently paw through the bottom all the time.

drew&cleo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Cleo used to stracth threw as well and when I went to pick it up and clean it, it would all fall out, but I know but some litter on the very bottom and then the liner and for some reason that worked for me.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think litter pan liners only work with front declawed cats.

spam in the litterbox? Well, it would certainly attract errant kitties....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, based on popular consensus, I am going to try a liner-free litter pan. I also switched completely to feline pine this time around. I guess we will see how everything goes. Thanks for all the help

canaws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, based on popular consensus, I am going to try a liner-free litter pan. I also switched completely to feline pine this time around. I guess we will see how everything goes. Thanks for all the help
I use Feline Pine, but I also use the FP litterbox. I like to use a liner with this system, because I can put it in the bottom to catch all the sawdust. When it comes time to empty out the bottom part of the litter box, I just take the liner bag out and put in a new one. Less cleaning for me

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have never thought of lightly spraying the box with Pam...that's an excellent idea. Thank you!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh. I use them because I was getting in trouble with the landlord for cleaning the boxes out in the bathtub and having the liner makes for much easier cleaning, expecially with an IBD cat. I keep the litter level deep so I don't get too awful many holes. I don't like them, I'm pretty sure the cats would rather go without, but it's better than being fined for damages at the end of the lease.

If you can go without them, I'd say to do it.

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Drew&Cleo

My cat Cleo used to stracth threw as well and when I went to pick it up and clean it, it would all fall out, but I know but some litter on the very bottom and then the liner and for some reason that worked for me.
Yep, I gave up on them right about the time when I went to pick up the bag and it all landed on my foot

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I no longer use liners for the exact same reason. I use a scoopable litter and scoop it often, and then take the litter box out weekly and hose it down with soap and water and refill it with new litter. I truly believe I am keeing his box quite clean in this manner as he never fails to use it, he is just missing his fun time of ripping the liner up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I took the liner out and things are great. Then I changed her litter from a clumping litter to Feline Pine. Now Marice refuses to bury her poo. She makes the stinkiest poo ever. The whole house stinks. Anyways, I love Feline Pine, but Marcie doesn't seem to like to dig through it. With the clumping litter, she tracked it everywhere and tried to dig to China but at least she would bury her poo. Has anyone ever encountered this problem?