TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › New Job Offer- What Do I Do??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Job Offer- What Do I Do??

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Ok...so yesterday was my first day at my new job as some of ya'll know. The only reason I actually applied to that store in the first place was because I was told their floral department was hiring designers. Well, when I got there though last week, they weren't hiring florists- soemone had just given me wrong information. They were so kind anyways that they offered me a job cashiering though so I took it. Here's the problem though- the pay is aweful, it's about 45 minutes away from my house and about 15 minutes away from Colins. So the money that i would make would only really cover gas. Aslo, I don't get any discounts on food or anything (which you would think you would working in a grocery store.) Here's the thing- I really like the ppl and the hours they gave me so far. It seems to be really nice and all...

Here's my delima:

I just got a phone call from a very well renowned flower shop in my area. Any designer I know would kill for a position in their shop- their work in incredable and it would be an excellent opportunity. Well, They've offered me an interview and a potential job- the owner is supposed to call me back in a few minutes to set up a time actually. Now here's the thing...I had already taken the other job cashiering. The pros of the deisgn shop is- better pay, closer to home, better hours, having the opportunity to make extra $$$ planning weddings and funerals, and it's something that as a Florist- I really love to do...so idealy, that's the job i'd rather have.

What do you think I should do? I think that If they offer me the job at the flower shop and it is guarenteed and works out with my class schedule, I will take it and tell the grocery store that I was offered a more higher paying job closer to home- I will see if they're willing to match the pay (which I don't think they will be) and if not, I will politely leave and take the new job. I have to look out for myself since nobody else will you know. But I just don't wanna quit this new job until i'm definite i have the other one. But if i do get the other one- i would much rather have that- It's a design job, it's closer to home, the benifits are better, the pay is better, and it's something that I love to do.......what do you think everyone? I'd feel really bad just up and quitting my new one if i get this one, but I really have to think about what's best for me in the long run.
post #2 of 22
If they can guarantee you a job,then I would take it!!!
I would wait to tell your current boss until you know for sure you have the other job.
post #3 of 22
You have to go with what will make you happy, whatever it is. The one with the florest to "die for" sounds like your preference. You have to go with it. Even though you just started the job with the other place I am sure they understand that it is not the job you had your heart set on.
Don't make any decision befor you talk to the florest you want to work with. It may not pan out and you don't want to be sitting there with no job. If you decide on that job talk to your current employer and explain that it isn't because you don't like the job you have it's just because a better opertunity presented itself. They will understand.
post #4 of 22
I'd take the new job offer if it's what you want and makes better sense financially and emotionally BUT I would give notice to the new job along with an honest apology.

That's what I'd do, yup, uh-huh.
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I just got off the phone with the lady who is the head designer/ and hires at the new shop- she sounds really nice- I explained about my other job to her, told her my school schedule, and everything else- and she says it sounds perfect to her!!!!! She gave me her cell number to call her tomorrow when I find out my schedule at my new job so that I can set up a time to interview with her. The job will start the first week of December likely- so I can stay at the other job till then and also, I will be picking out my new classes this month for next semester, so I can pick them out aroudn my work schedule. She was really sweet about everything and said that she looked foward to meeting me next week. She's setting aside a special time to design with me to see if my style matches her shop- so wish me luck! She seems really nice. I would LOVE to have this job! I will tell my other job about my offer only once I know I definitely have the new job- and I will see if i can still maybe work just one or two days for them depending on the amount of time that I have. It seems like everything is FINALLY working out right now after a long hard dry spell. I'm going to try and not get too excited about this new offer until I'm defiinite i have it, but I am already getting excited! Did i mention the hours and pay rock!!!! And she asked me what I prefer to do as far as funerals, weddings...etc..and said that I could make good commission off of my work in addition to the salary-so i'm excited!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed

As far as my new job goes- they have been soo kind to me- I won't plan on telling them anything until I know for sure about the other job offer- and if I do get that one-
i will give them 2 weeks notice kindly and see if they are willing to match the new pay/hours ....if so i might stay, but if not, i'm going to take the new one- it's better all around for me. Also, i might be able to just work one or two days a week at the new job and go ahead and take the design one as well - so i might be able to do both, we'll see Eithor way, I plan to be exceptionally kind to them- after all they were very nice to me so far
post #6 of 22
Oh gosh Nikki, you go with the florist!!! That's your dream job!!
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever View Post
Oh gosh Nikki, you go with the florist!!! That's your dream job!!
That's what I really wanna do This shop is immaculant!! It's sooooooo gorgeous!!!
post #8 of 22
Sounds like everything is working out for you.
post #9 of 22
Being in the gardening trade myself I would jump on the opportunity to work at the florist shop of your dreams!!! Such good experience plus working around beautiful flowers all day and a much closer commute!! The commute of 45 min would be terrible for me.
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
Being in the gardening trade myself I would jump on the opportunity to work at the florist shop of your dreams!!! Such good experience plus working around beautiful flowers all day and a much closer commute!! The commute of 45 min would be terrible for me.
thanks! i'm glad to hae the input of a fellow person involved in the garden/flower industry
post #11 of 22
Take the flower shop job..sounds like that is what you want!!
post #12 of 22
lol sounds to me like you made all the right choices
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks Natalie & Bruce I'll keep ya'll posted on everything when I go for my interview
post #14 of 22
Go with your gut. It sounds like you already know what you want to do!
post #15 of 22
That's great! Congratulations!! Sounds like everything worked out perfectly!
post #16 of 22
I think if you stayed with the cashiering job, you'd regret not taking the other design job!!!

Sounds like an awesome opportunity!
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittermom View Post
If they can guarantee you a job,then I would take it!!!
I would wait to tell your current boss until you know for sure you have the other job.
good luck, Nikki!!
post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thankyou for the wonderful advice everyone- I really appreciate it! I will keep ya'll posted
post #19 of 22
I'm a bit late to the discussion, but Nikki, I think you really should follow up this opportunity. If you do get it (and it sounds like it will happen), be honest and respectful to the people at your current job. I can't say how they would take it but you can only do your best.
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katachtig View Post
I'm a bit late to the discussion, but Nikki, I think you really should follow up this opportunity. If you do get it (and it sounds like it will happen), be honest and respectful to the people at your current job. I can't say how they would take it but you can only do your best.
If I definitely get the other one- I plan to inform the company that i'm currently with that I have had another job offer for more pay at a closer location- I will ask if they are willing to match that. If not, I will kindly let the place i'm working at now know and see if there's any way I could just work one or two days for them so they're not completly without help. If not I will thank them for the opportunity to work there and kindly give them my 2 weeks notice so that I leave on good terms.
post #21 of 22
Sounds like the florist job would be ideal! If offered, I would definitely take it!
post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
hehe, that's what i'm hoping for!! I can't wait to go meet her and design for them there- hopefully I will land the job!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › New Job Offer- What Do I Do??