Discipline? the water bottle thing?

dailynhtly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone use the spray bottle deal? With my other cat I was just able to glare at her and if need be, hiss or clap and she would stop whatever offense she was committing. But with the kitten, argh... it's just like having a little kid. He knows he's not supposed to be doing whatever it is and will actually even hesitate sometimes when he hears a stern "No!" but he usually proceeds. I have been experimenting with spritzing him with a water bottle and it sometimes sends him running from the room (I think it's more just an excuse for him to run around like a fool), a lot of the time, he'll just stand there like, "Damn, I'm wet, oh well..." and then proceeds to continue with whatever he was doing. He's not intimidated by noises so hissing or clapping in his general direction doesn't phase him. I will scruff him and remove him from the offense, no luck. Eventually it ends up with a shut door or him in time out.

Tell me this phase will pass?? Or give me some suggestions on how to more appropriately discipline him/get through to him what "No!" means.

Thanks much

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have to train any new kitties NOT to jump on the kitchen counter or table. We'd tell the kitten or cat, "No" in a firm, but not mad voice and gently move the cat down or away. Over and over again, we'd do it, yes, just like with a kid! We'd have the whole family doing the "No" thing whenever it was needed.

Eventually they get tired of jumping up over and over just to be on the floor again immediately, so they stop doing it. When they look tempted, a firm, "No" will stop them. Eventually, they forget about trying it.

Different behavors have different approaches, and there are lots of good resources here. Good luck.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people here will tell you NOT to spray them with water, if it sprays in their ears they can get an infection, ect. ect. And, as you are finding out, it doesn't really work om alot of cats any ways. What I would suggest is to make a thing, I think it is called a "rattle" Take a small coffeee can or like a vegetable can (any tin can), and put a handful of change itn it and tape the top, when they do some thing you shake that at them, it is very loud and distracts them from what they are doing, then you can tell them NO! It seems to work for some people, and their animals, so you can give that a try.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he does know what "NO" means--he just figures it's not to his advantage to obey.

When you train a dog, you show him you're the leader... When you train a cat, you have to negotiate!

Is there's some way that you can show your cat it makes sense to obey your "NO"?... Either making doing the wrong thing unpleasant (water doesn't work--have you tried sticky tape, citronella, etc.?), or make doing the right thing pleasant. Positive training seems to work best in any case--the "bribe the cat" strategy, basically.

I don't know your cat though--every feline is different. You're the one most likely to figure out the strategy that works for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dailynhtly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, he does *know* what "No" means, you're right, it's just a matter of whether or not he wants to listen at that particular moment in time. He's not phased by a clap or a rattle and even I glare at him and make a move towards him he just looks like, "huh, what?" ...I think a combination of Godly intervention (i.e. the spritz of water in the butt from an unforseen attacker) and me picking him up and removing him from situations is going to have to be the plan of attack. As for positive reinforcement, I'm a fan, but what do you all do to reward your cats? He has to be in the mood to cuddle or be petted, so if I go for that I'll most likely lose a finger, or at the least some skin. He's a bit more food motivated than my older cat but I've yet to try treats on him (don't think I have any since my other cat won't touch any of them)... any ideas on positive reinforcement?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DailyNhtly

Well, he does *know* what "No" means, you're right, it's just a matter of whether or not he wants to listen at that particular moment in time. He's not phased by a clap or a rattle and even I glare at him and make a move towards him he just looks like, "huh, what?" ...I think a combination of Godly intervention (i.e. the spritz of water in the butt from an unforseen attacker) and me picking him up and removing him from situations is going to have to be the plan of attack. As for positive reinforcement, I'm a fan, but what do you all do to reward your cats? He has to be in the mood to cuddle or be petted, so if I go for that I'll most likely lose a finger, or at the least some skin. He's a bit more food motivated than my older cat but I've yet to try treats on him (don't think I have any since my other cat won't touch any of them)... any ideas on positive reinforcement?
Exactly what is he doing??? I think it would help to better understand the situaiton.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dailynhtly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hahahahaha, what isn't he doing?? Jumping on the bed, trying to steal food, climbing up the drapes, hopping on the dresser and chewing on things he shouldn't be, trying to eat my fingers, harassing my other cat, so on and so forth. Most of it can be solved with me just removing him from the situation (or letting the other cat beat him up) but there are some things he is rather persistant with. For whatever reason, "No!" is very effective when he starts to climb the blinds, but if I turn around to find him atop a dresser chewing on a piece of paper, he'll simply ignore me... if I pick him up and move him, 5 minutes later, same thing. It ends up with me having to remove the offending object (my house is looking quite bare now) or shutting him out of the room. I was simply looking for something a bit more effective because I sincerely feel like sometimes he just doesn't understand that I'm trying to say, "No, you cannot do that for <insert reason here>".

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love the spray bottle! It worked with my older cats (when they were kittens) and I am using it with my 3 little ones now.
I have been using it for a few days and now all I have to do is say 'no' and they will stop whatever it is they are doing. If they don't stop, just picking up the bottle is enough!!
It didn't take long for it to sink in!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i LOVE the spray bottle!!! i only shoot them in the butt if i have to shoot them at all, most the time after one shot in the butt, all i have to di is say NO in a firm voice, and shake the water bottle,and they get the idea quick,lol.

others on here say DONT use it because of getting water in the ears, etc. but if your careful, and only shoot them in the butt or feet, you will be fine. Most instances as i said above after one shot, they usually will stop by just seeing you with the bottle,lol.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
if I turn around to find him atop a dresser chewing on a piece of paper, he'll simply ignore me... if I pick him up and move him, 5 minutes later, same thing. It ends up with me having to remove the offending object (my house is looking quite bare now) or shutting him out of the room. I was simply looking for something a bit more effective because I sincerely feel like sometimes he just doesn't understand that I'm trying to say, "No, you cannot do that for <insert reason here>".
I would try putting some aluminum on the dresser or bubblewrap or double sided sticky tape....something that doesn't feel good on his feet.

Katie

patch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this isn't my thread but thanks for posting those suggestions. Our kitten tries to get everywhere he's not supposed to, the worst thing is he keeps trying to get my hamster. I do lock him out of my room but I let him in when she's sleeping because he doesn't notice her and sleeps too far away for him to get her. Yesterday I came up to see where Patch was because we hadn't seen him for a while and he had somehow managed to open my bedroom door and he was sat inbetween her cages and she was stood there and they were sniffing eachother. My brother said "Oh well. he wouldn't get her" but he doesn't understand. My hamster is my baby and I don't want anything to happen to her, but it's really hard to get him to learn NO.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DailyNhtly

Hahahahaha, what isn't he doing?? Jumping on the bed, trying to steal food, climbing up the drapes, hopping on the dresser and chewing on things he shouldn't be, trying to eat my fingers, harassing my other cat, so on and so forth. Most of it can be solved with me just removing him from the situation (or letting the other cat beat him up) but there are some things he is rather persistant with. For whatever reason, "No!" is very effective when he starts to climb the blinds, but if I turn around to find him atop a dresser chewing on a piece of paper, he'll simply ignore me... if I pick him up and move him, 5 minutes later, same thing. It ends up with me having to remove the offending object (my house is looking quite bare now) or shutting him out of the room. I was simply looking for something a bit more effective because I sincerely feel like sometimes he just doesn't understand that I'm trying to say, "No, you cannot do that for <insert reason here>".
That all sounds like perfectly normal kitten behaviour! Sure, you can try to deter behaviours you want to stop and may or may not have success but most of what you describe is behaviour he'll grow out of as he gets older.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used the water bottle spray and I have found it effiecient like others have said make sure that you get it on their paws or behind, also now my cat bella all i have to do is show it to her and she stops make sure to say a good no though also try treats whenever your kitty is being good they will want to listen more with treats coming lol.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The water bottle works pretty well for me too. However, I just thought of an idea for you that may work. Try going to the petstore(I know petsmart sells them) and getting a ball, either one with a bell inside or one of the foil ones that makes the crinkle noise. Whenever you catch your kitten doing something bad(main problem with mine is biting electrical cords), just throw the ball nearby and, if your kitten is anything like mine, he/she will immediatly be distracted from what he/she was doing and run after the ball.(one of the few blessings of them having short attention spans, LOL!)

I have my kittens well trained now. I have the ball with the bell in it and now whenever I shake it they come running because they love playing with it(especially since it makes noise).

The one thing that does NOT work for me is to pick the kitten up and take it away from what it was doing bad. As soon as the kittens is down she runs back to what she was doing. It's like they think it is a game and they see who lasts longer, them or me.

Whenever I'm eating and they try they will sometimes hop up on the bench beside me, that's fine, but as soon as one of their heads reaches the level of the table I give their noses a quick tap to distract them and they get right down. My adults cats have learned to put their noses just level with table and no further, it's quite funny. PLease do not misunderstand me and hit your cat, that is mean and does no good, just barely touch their noses with the tip of your finger. The nose is one of the most sensitive parts of their body so they don't like it being touched(especially if your hands are cold, which mine usually are, LOL!). The touch is enough to distract them and deter them from furthering their "quest" for food on the table.

Good luck with the kitten.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the touch of the nose thing would never work for me lol
mine love there noses being touched , apart from 1.
the water i hate the idea of , luckly i only have one cat that does not do what i would like him to do lol and that is chew wires so i distract him with his fav toy, i have lost a pc mouse a phone charger and a nintento charger and nearly my bt line , he is getting better slowly he is 7 months now lol