Shampoos and Conditioners

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for suggestions on good shampoo and conditioners for long hair cats. I'm planning on showing her sometime and want her coat as pretty and silky as possible.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need - groomers goop, allsystems crisp coat, and as a final rinse, either the de-matt or re-texturiser depending on your cat's coat condition! All this I got from the maine coon breeder here who owns the currently top ranked cat in CFA ID Asia!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Nexxus Simply Silver (for white hair) and Humatress conditioner on my rexes. Its a quality people shampoo but works well on cats.

I'd contact your breeder and see what she uses on her cats - you want something that will make the white sparkle. Remember you have to blow dry her after washing - otherwise the fur will tangle and curl. Comb and blow dry till totally dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you thank you! Now that my kitty is recovering from her spaying we'll be trying these products out in the near future.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are going to start bathing them, a few things:

1. bathing too much can be bad for them and strip their skin and fur of the natural oils that make their fur healthy
2. You should try not to use human shampoos as they are too strong and the pH is totally different.

Again, make sure you dry them well and ask your groomer or breeder to recommend something as there are just as many pet shampoos as people ones out there

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OT but I can't help but ask.
I
maine coons and was looking at the GCCF breed standard, when I noticed it said-
Withhold all awards for:

. Van Patterned Cats
Is it just the GCCF that does this? Is MCMaggie's beautiful cat not Van like I thought she was? *Puzzled*

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's from Texas. In all of the USA associations, its acceptable for a van pattern in maine coons. The only color NOT accepted is the pointed pattern in maine coons.

Wonder why GB has the van pattern banned in maine coons?

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work for a pet products company. I use Kenic Shampoo on all my pets. It's all natural, ph balanced. Will NEVER strip the coat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I work for a pet products company. I use Kenic Shampoo on all my pets. It's all natural, ph balanced. Will NEVER strip the coat.
Kenic is gentle enough for most ... There formula I think is okay for dogs , cats , ferrets and bunnies is why I usally avoid it ...

I use an all organic on the dog approved by her vet since it isnt dog shampoo.... My longhair get vets best foam when dirty as she wont bathe

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Kenic is gentle enough for most ... There formula I think is okay for dogs , cats , ferrets and bunnies is why I usally avoid it ...

I use an all organic on the dog approved by her vet since it isnt dog shampoo.... My longhair get vets best foam when dirty as she wont bathe
Kenic uses a neutral ph. 7.0 to be specific. So it's well within the ranges for each species.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Salem

I will pass that on to a lps for help in sales ... I do use there spray conditioner , Gigi likes it