Declawing...

gsxrgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is a hot topic, and I know the procedure and everything-I am curious on how many people got there cat's declawed........

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
None of my 3 are declawed. Any other cats I've ever had have been declawed.

I didn't really know much about it until right before we got Maui- I decided to get online and read about it and that's when I realized what exactly it entails. It's been tough with them having their nails, but we're all dealing

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had one that was declawed (done by me, or gotten already done) My mother didn't believe in having it done, (cost too much, plus they were allowed out) So I have never thought about declawing, when I found out what it does, I was glad, I never have (or will) I breed cats, and the new owner has to sign a contract that they will not declaw any cat or kitten from my cattery. (I also give them info in it, so mabey they won't ever do it to any cat they have
)

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gsxrgirl

I know this is a hot topic, and I know the procedure and everything-I am curious on how many people got there cat's declawed........
Another point I never see mentioned on this is that you cannot show cats that are declawed, not that I am interested in hauling my cat around for show, but just a thought that some may have not considered.

kayliekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would never de-claw my cats. I also want to mention, that it is illegal in other countries. I am originally from Germany, where de-clawing is considered cruelty to animals.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KaylieKitty

I would never de-claw my cats. I also want to mention, that it is illegal in other countries. I am originally from Germany, where de-clawing is considered cruelty to animals.
I'd have to agree that it is cruelty. Only when the human having the declawing done is ready to have all their fingers cut off at the first knuckle should they be allowed to have their cat de-clawed IMO.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nope, none of mine are decalwed, and my parents cats are not declawed. My step mom's cat that she had when she married my dad was declawed, and he was the perfect example of the BAD side effects of declawing, he was NASTY! She learned what the procedure entailed and when we got our next cats swore never to do it. I will never do it to any of my cats, ever.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
none of mine are declawed and it is infact illegal here in Australia. I didnt even know about declawing until I joined TCS.

Even if it wasnt illegal, I would never do it

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, would never have my kitties declawed, and have actually never been around a cat that was declawed

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think declawing is cruel and heartless.

I am on a dog forum and tried desperately to convince a fellow member not to declaw her kitten. Shes doing it anyway because they cat is scratching her carpet.
How vain is that?

She wont even try soft claws because the cat is too hyper and wont stay still long enough for them to be applied...whatever

I will NEVER declaw a cat. Never. I cant imagine performing such a cruel surgery.

The thing is, many vets offer a discount, or package price for speutering and declawing the same day. I dont know how they can promote that kind of stuff.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think the question is quite accurate for what you want to find out. Puppy is declawed, but he wasn't declawed by us.

I don't know anyone personally that declaws, but I have met people that do so. IMO, these people are doing it because they are more concerned with their furniture than their cats welfare. People who think like this are also more likely to abandon their animal when they no longer have use for the animal or can't get their new apartment because of the animal. Puppy was abandonded by his owners.

I also have a friend that homed her two cats for a year with a family when she moved far away temporarily. She came back to find them both declawed. This was not her choice at all, and she wasn't even notified of it.

Point being, I don't think this poll will accurately what it is that you are looking for.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I advertised for a declawed cat since this was my first 'in house cat' and I owned antiques.

Gizmo was front declawed some time ago by her previous owner, and she is a happy cat with one strong grip!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find it unnecessary. Both of my cats are trained to use a scratching post, their scratching rug, and a Turbo Scratcher. It was extremely easy to train them and they learned fast.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of my boys are declawed. I was doing to have Harley declawed, until I joined TCS and everyone here was so helpful in showing me the facts.
I really didn't know any different until then.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have no "other" option.
I have not had any of my cats declawed, but 4 of the 6 came to us as declaws, one of which is a 4 paw.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are not and will not be declawed. That sick kitten that we found at work and gave to a co-worker, she had him declawed. I felt so badly because I feel like I gave her the cat and she didn't talk it over with me (it was her cat, she really didn't have to) before she did it, because she knew I would object.

I understand the need to keep good furniture looking great, but I have second-hand furniture because I have cats. I am willing to work around my babies, not force them into a mold that I want them in.

My cats are more important than furniture or carpeting. I do think declawing is barbaric.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat, Mitten was declawed. But that was before I knew what they really did and my mom/dad told me if I wanted to keep the cat, he had to be declawed.

After declawing I cried when he attempted to get in the litter pan with bandaged feet. Mitten was an exception to most declawed cats - he never was adversly affected - he was outgoing, used the litter box and still caught birds/rabbits/squirrels when declawed.

After I found out what declawing was, NONE of my cats ever got declawed again. I usually tell people that they should try EVERY method of training the cat and leave declawing as a very last resort. HOWEVER, if they chose to have it done - then they should be responsible for the cat for its entire life - that means do not dump the cat in a shelter or give it away to another if it starts biting more or refuses to use the pan. YOU created those problems that didn't exist before the declawing, so you are responsible.

BTW I had in my kitten contacts for my rexes that they were not to be declawed.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 6 cats right now and none of them are declawed. All my elderly cats that passed on to the bridge have never been declawed. I will not declaw my cats.

LOL We make bets on how long a couch will last!!! I work around my cats also! They rule!!!! I do cover the nice chairs with blankets and afghans. They have lasted a long time. The couch is the sacrifice to the cats.

My cats are way more important than a material piece of furniture... The couch can be replaced!!

My cats will choose a couch over a scratch post anyday!!

I was thinking a futon maybe the next thing we try!!!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No declaws here. It's not done over here anyway and is considered animal abuse. Like someone else said earlier - I didn't even know what declawing was until I joined here. I wouldnt have it done anyway as I could never consider my furniture more important than my cats.