sweeping up the litter

lizber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have my litter box in my upstairs bathroom. It has painted wooden floors. Besides using a little whisk broom and dustpan to pick up the scattered litter, has anyone tried a little vacuum or sweeper? My big sweeper just spits the litter around and makes a bigger mess than the cat. I also tried my sisters little stick broom with no luck and a dustbuster. If anyone knows of a small sweeper that won't spit the litter let me know. Thanks bunches.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't found one yet. Still the best thing to use is the brush/pan to clean up litter. You might try putting a towel or small rug in front of the pan so most of the litter falls on it and you only have to shake the towel in the trash can.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lizber

I have my litter box in my upstairs bathroom. It has painted wooden floors. Besides using a little whisk broom and dustpan to pick up the scattered litter, has anyone tried a little vacuum or sweeper? My big sweeper just spits the litter around and makes a bigger mess than the cat. I also tried my sisters little stick broom with no luck and a dustbuster. If anyone knows of a small sweeper that won't spit the litter let me know. Thanks bunches.
Try using a small mat with "stickyness" right in from of the litter box. I saw that mentioned on here last week, ran out and got a mat, and could not be happier.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I have a small Eureka hand held vacuum that is specifically designed to pick up pet hair and bits of litter. It's great, and gets into areas that the larger vacuum can also do (but with a lot more effort.) There are beater brushes to take care of the small carpets around the box, and the whole vacuum is around 14" long.

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have black ceramic tile floors in my bathroom. I had a constant battle with litter and dust. I changed to feline pine...put a rattan mat for wiping their little paws. and voila!! i can do wipe up with a paper towel if they track anything. I luv that stuff!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Roomba seems to like sweeping up litter. I also have a small Dustbuster for little messes that aren't worth the Roomba's attention. They both work great.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

My Roomba seems to like sweeping up litter.
(Sorry to deviate from the original posters question) Do you like the roomba? I really want one. The bird throws her bird seed hulls outside of the cage and I've been wondering if it would pick these up...you think it would? I've been using the Carpet Flick, but go through the refills like crazy.