Why hasn't my cat came into heat?

siberianluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a newby in the cat world. After much research I decided to get Siberians. My female is 13 months old and hasn't shown any signs of coming into heat. Are some cats really late? Could there be a problem? I have looked into her line and they cycle earlier then this. She is kept inside with light until bedtime. I have a 7 month old male that hasn't shown any interest and I haven't seen or heard any neighboring males outside. My vet thinks that it is to late in the season but I've read differently for indoor kitties. Any ideas?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the larger sized cats such as MC, NFO and Sibs do come to heat slowly. And, I have to agree with your vet, it may be too late in the season for it. Your male maybe still too young to show signs. Sibs are a slow maturing breed anyway...

Do you show her/them? A lot of females do go on heat once they've been around lots of male pheromones!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siberianluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I've shown her in a couple of CFA shows and she's been caged next to mature males at both shows. Sibs are slow to mature but other Sib breeders have told me that thier girls go into heat before 1 yr.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know a lot about Siberians (I don't know anything about Siberians), but I do know that my Siamese girl is not likely to cycle in the winter here in Virginia. (I am just north of Richmond) She usually has her last estrus in October, then she usually doesn't have another until the time changes again in the Spring when the days start to get longer.

passiquepersian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I breed persians and My girls generally begin to cycle in February, and like they said above take a break from Oct. to Jan. Right now, 3 of my females have kittens (7weeks, 5 weeks, and 4 weeks), none of the other have cycled and I don't expect them to until Jan.-Feb. I do have one female who is pregnant now though, she came in season mid october so we bred her for Christmas kitties. She is due December 20th.

siberianluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for all of your info. I'm relieved to hear that my kitty is normal. I guess we will sit back and relax until Spring maybe get a few more shows under our belt.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SiberianLuv

Thank you everyone for all of your info. I'm relieved to hear that my kitty is normal. I guess we will sit back and relax until Spring maybe get a few more shows under our belt.
Welcome to TCS....I'm going to assume that when you purchased your girl that you also received breeding rights...because if you do not have breeding rights...her kittens could not be registered.

Katie

(n)mabriga sibe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some siberians come in heat late my cat from Poland came in heat first time when she was 9 months my black siberian came in heat when she was just 6 months.
I think you cat are very slow.
I have learnt cats as are out in the light maybe get in heat faster.
I have a run for my cats out side so they are often out.
Also you cat can have been in heat and you have not nosiest as some cat’s make a big number of it and some can we not nearly see are in heat.

siberianluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply Mabriga. My female finally ended up coming into heat for the first time at 14 months and then again 5 weeks later.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all the aforementioned in mind please remember, it is rare but it also exists and that is a silent heat...

(n)mabriga sibe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is what my siberian cat has
It is very difficult to se she is in heat at all
But I never have my females and my males to getter.