URGENT! Can I feed my cat scrambled eggs?

anniepoonanny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're out of food until tomorrow and he's going crazy and all I have is eggs.

He likes them.. but I don't know if I should scramble a whole one for him to eat.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can give him the yolk (soft or hard boiled) but not the white. That's what the folks at the shelter told me.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have any canned tuna or chicken that you could cook without onions or seasonings? Human tuna is not the best for them but it could get you through until you get to the store.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This happened to me yesterday. I now have a contingency plan in place where I keep a "spare" portion of food just like I keep "spare" keys and spare other things to keep tragedies from occuring.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Do you have any canned tuna or chicken that you could cook without onions or seasonings? Human tuna is not the best for them but it could get you through until you get to the store.
Why is human tuna not good for them? I feed them some occasionally ... yikes.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

Why is human tuna not good for them? I feed them some occasionally ... yikes.
its okay as a treat now and then, but there is a risk of mercury poisoning and it shouldn't be their main diet because it is lacking in a lot of the vitamins and minerals a cat needs, most notably taurine

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

You can give him the yolk (soft or hard boiled) but not the white. That's what the folks at the shelter told me.
The white is okay if it's cooked, but shouldn't be given raw.
A lot of cats (including mine) love hardboiled eggs, and some brands of cat food, e.g. Miamor, offer chicken with sliced hardboiled eggs.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont get it, the whole 'whites shouldnt be fed'

Is this a cat argument as well?

I know with my Collie she gets a raw egg in her kibble every other day. It keeps her coat looking good. But some people say not to feed it to her, while some swear by it.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

its okay as a treat now and then, but there is a risk of mercury poisoning and it shouldn't be their main diet because it is lacking in a lot of the vitamins and minerals a cat needs, most notably taurine
Ah! OK, thankfully I only give them some once every two months or so, but I do let them lick the juice fairly regularly. Thank you so much for that info!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

I dont get it, the whole 'whites shouldnt be fed'

Is this a cat argument as well?

I know with my Collie she gets a raw egg in her kibble every other day. It keeps her coat looking good. But some people say not to feed it to her, while some swear by it.
This might answer your question: http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/eggwhite.htm

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never given my kitties anything but kitty food. Poor Remy has a sensitive stomach...nothing worse than watching a cat puke