The Stray Cat I Found Is Constantly Hungry

calypso77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I found a stray cat last week, and took her in. Since then, she never fails to meow and ask for food at every opportunity. The first few days, I figured it was because she had been hungry and was outdoors for awhile. However, it's been a week since I took her in, and she eats two entire cans of canned kitty food plus a handful of dry food-- spread out in 4 meal feedings a day.

I think either she has worms or some other ailment. The vet we took her to said she looked healthy for a stray cat, was a good weight, had a good temperature, etc.

I've checked for tapeworm segments, but can't find any on her anus or her stools. She goes to eliminate several times a day because she eats so much.

Her coat looks good, she has luster in her yellow amber eyes, and overall has good energy.

Does anyone know what she might be suffering from? She is a tiny cat-- about 9 pounds, long-legged, and quite dainty for a cat. However, she was not starving- at least not visibly apparent when we found her.

I don't understand how to help her, as she bugs me and my boyfriend day and night with her meowing and hunger pangs...

We will get her tested and treated for everything, but since she has nothing life-threatening (or so the vet said), we want to wait for a possible owner to claim her for another week. We've posted up flyers around the area and on various pet websites.

Concerned Kitty Finder,

C

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet have an estimate on her age? Did they do a fecal exam?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calypso77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Cloud_Shade,

Your kitties are so cute!The vet estimated that she was between 2-3 yrs old. He said to come back for all the testing and shots once it was clear she would not be claimed. I have already made an appt. for next Saturday anyways, as the chance of her being found doesn't seem likely...We have not received even one inquiry yet.

What is strange is that he said she was 2-3 yrs old, but she is really small (yet not malnourished), and has what looks like little baby teeth in the front...
I think she is actually 1 yr old or so, as her teeth don't even look fully developed...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean her fangs? or the tiny little row of teeth in the front? The get their adult fangs by 6 months. If you can see a groove in it then they are usually at least a year, if there is any yellowing at all then the years go up from there. All adult cats, old or young though have a tiny row of little itty bitty teeth in the front of their mouths.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, bless you big time for caring and taking her in. My very first kitty I took in (all have been strays) sounds just like her. She was all black with a good coat and amber eyes...like a Bombay, but I never knew for sure.
She was petite, affectionate, loyal..and she hoarded her food long after I rescued her. It took her about 4-5 months to calm down and trust that her food source was constant. Abandonment and starvation anxiety. Have you had her thyroid tested? that might be a sign of constant eating, even though she appears slim. It's encouraging to learn that she's initially healthy! Good job. Keep posting and big ((((HUGS)))) to you.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just plain small. My boyfriend and his folks have five cats, and the smallest is 7 years old and weighs about 5 or 6 pounds. If she's really only 2 or 3, thyroid problems are unlikely (when I found Spot, he was hyperthyroid, but he was also a lot older--at least 10 years old, probably 13 or more). If she's lost any weight by the next visit, definitely have her tested for worms and maybe even thyroid issues. Otherwise, she could just be not used to having food available. If you feed her every time she meows, then you're being trained.
My boyfriend folks also have another cat who they found as a half starved kitten. She now weighs about 17 pounts because she never realizes that she's not going to starve again. Street cats tend to learn that you spend most of your time finding food, whether that food comes from mice or from begging people. They don't always understand that they don't have to do that anymore once they've found a new home.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have an all black kitty who was a stray and we have had him now for 5 years and he would eat all day if u let him because at one time he had to fight and scrape for his food and they never forget this...He is over 20 lbs and on diet food now!
So hopefully that's just what it is and nothing medical, hopefully the vet can get to the bottom of it!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I consider 9 pounds to be a pretty good sized cat! But anyway, I have an elderly cat that seems to need to eat quite frequently. We've had her thyroid checked, and she doesn't have worms. I've noticed that she seems to be satisfied only with the more expensive foods like Merrick or AvoDerm. I think it has better stuff in there for her, and she's really had a big change in personality since we started her on better food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good quality food helps... If she is truely underwt you may want to ask about Nutri cal ...

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't aware that cats were supposed to have a groove in their canine teeth. Gizmo has it and I thought it was a defect.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you had a stool sample checked yet? Just because you don't see tapeworm segments doesn't mean he doesn't have them. Or any other kind of parasite.

kareninpgh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Get her a pill for tape worms. Even though you have not seen the segments doesn't mean that they are not inside of him/her. After that, see how he/she does.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kareninpgh

Get her a pill for tape worms. Even though you have not seen the segments doesn't mean that they are not inside of him/her. After that, see how he/she does.
DO NOT WORM any animal for TAPE WORMS without a VET DIAGNOISIS ... Please dont use OTC wormers as at best they arent effective and WORST THEY can KILL

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

DO NOT WORM any animal for TAPE WORMS without a VET DIAGNOISIS ... Please dont use OTC wormers as at best they arent effective and WORST THEY can KILL
I have to agree...I would take this cat back to your vet and ask your vet if she needs a dewormer. I don't agree with OTC dewormers.

Katie