Cats Scratching where their food is?

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Kinsey started to scratch the flloor where her food bowls are just like she would do if she is using the litter pan.. now cairo is doing this too what the heck is going on

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
omg my stomach just literally turned thinking of that

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of my cats do this.

It is a natural behavior for them.

From what I can tell, this is just specualtion here..So I am not an expert.

They are trying to bury their food from others that might want to eat it.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breal76

All of my cats do this.

It is a natural behavior for them.

From what I can tell, this is just specualtion here..So I am not an expert.

They are trying to bury their food from others that might want to eat it.
Yep! and my Rascal loves to play with his food. He scatters it all over the kitchen floor. I think he is actually practising his hunting skills

Shanynne
Extreme Kitty Lover

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yep!!!! they are just covering up their food so no other kitties can find it and steal it. Its natural. My cats will do it when my mother in laws cat is over to stay with us. Thats the only time they do it though. They just don't want him to eat their food

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats did this occasionally with wet food. I thought they didn't like it, and were trying to bury the food to get rid of it, so I quit feeding them those flavors! Now I find out they wanted to save the food... oh well.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom's cat used to try to bury her food. All three of mine paw at or near their water bowls.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Villy does this too - I think she's trying to cover it, to save it for later or stop anyone else eating it, even though she's the only animal in the house! Maybe she thinks I'll sneak a bite - ew!

krispie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hoggie used to do it all the time. Bells never really has, but my daughters new kitten Oso does it too. It drives her nuts because she always spills her water when she does it!

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both of mine do this with their food and water bowls. Taz also likes to play with his kibble and will pick one out of his food bowl, drop it on the counter and then wack it across the room so he can chase after it. The dogs now know the sound of kibble hitting the floor and will come running from wherever in the house they are to grab it before Taz.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my boys do this with their dry and wet food - and their water too, I just laugh when they do it, I think its cute
Of course they scratch on the cute mat thats under their dishes, so at least they aren't scratching on my floor! Smart kitties!

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mebbe this doesnt belong here but it does have to do with scratching and pawing. I was wondering why my cats paw the walls when they use the litter box?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by reddicequeen

Mebbe this doesnt belong here but it does have to do with scratching and pawing. I was wondering why my cats paw the walls when they use the litter box?
I think they are trying to get the litter off of their paws.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I post this same question a month or so ago. However I'd come home and the food dish would be covered with paper, a sock, even clothing if I left something laying about. I couldn't figure out why one of my cats was covering the food dish with whatever she could find, or scratching near it when she didn't have something to cover it with. It really was getting frustrating for me because socks were absorbing their water, and my husbands good tie feel victim as well.

Turns out it is a natural instinct carried over from wild cats. Some bury food to hide it from other animals. It has taught me to pick up my sons socks when he decides to be foot free when he walks in the door, and my husband is quicker to put his ties away.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scratch does this a lot too.. sometimes she scratches at the top of the monitor like she does to her food bowl.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am soo glad to hear that Uno is not the only one who does this, I thought he was just weird for doing so. He as well as my other 2 boys will also scratch at the wall of the litterpan for 5 minutes before exiting. I have always thought it was cute when Uno would paw at the mat under the food but it got really weird when he started doing it to Dusty's mat only-any ideas why he would do it to someone elses food?

chichi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chichi used to do that. She would scratch the floor to "cover" her food if she doesn't finish it. I think it's her way of marking it as hers. She is trying to let Wesley know not to eat it as it is hers and she is intended to come back and eat it later. That, of course, doesn't work all that effectively, so she stopped doing that.