Scratch is a klutz...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scratch isn't the world's most graceful kitty. He is bowlegged from having ricketts as a kitten, so his jummping ability can be slightly impared. When DH went to feed them tonight he jumpped into the air with glee, slipped, and skitted head long into a wall. Poor Scratch.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, poor thing. Sounds like its time to wrap your place in bubble wrap! For the protection of dear Scratch of course.

Hmmm....maybe that's a bad idea. Can you imagine the damage that 8-Bit would do to bubble wrap?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

Awww, poor thing. Sounds like its time to wrap your place in bubble wrap! For the protection of dear Scratch of course.

Hmmm....maybe that's a bad idea. Can you imagine the damage that 8-Bit would do to bubble wrap?
Yes, and it would involve a vet visit.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Poor Scratch! And he has to compete with 8-Bit!!!!
Scratch gets excited when it's time to eat. He was abused previously, and the people who "owned" him "forgot" to feed him. Anytime a can of cat food is opened he freaks out and runs around like it's his last meal on earth.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Scratch gets excited when it's time to eat. He was abused previously, and the people who "owned" him "forgot" to feed him. Anytime a can of cat food is opened he freaks out and runs around like it's his last meal on earth.
Tiger does that too but he is FAR from underfed at almost 21lbs!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww poor Scratch
That's cute that he gets so excited at food times though

Will you share his story with us of his previous home? I know you said you hadn't given his full story yet...

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

OMG. That would make me cry like every single day.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Awww poor Scratch
That's cute that he gets so excited at food times though

Will you share his story with us of his previous home? I know you said you hadn't given his full story yet...
Sure, pull up a seat this one is a tear jerker. Scratch was most likely the product of a moggie and a BYB's Main Coon. When he was born it was obvious to all that he couldn't be sold so after he was weaned he was tossed out. The reason we know this is the APL in our area found him on the street of a known BYB. The first home he went to he was hit, kicked, and not fed. So much so he wound up at a rescue organization in our area. The second home he went to he was too shy so the family brought him back.

The day I walked past his cage at Petsmart was a bad one for him. He had just been brought back from his second home, he was an abuse case with medical problems, and he had a sister who had gone through the same thing. There was something about him that made me stop. He had these two big yellow/gold eyes that looked shy but wise. I just knew he was going to be a second kitty for us. The only snag was that Scratch was long haired, and DH didn't want a long haired kitty. I solved that problem by not telling him until we were in the car on the way over to the adoption center.

The first two weeks with Scratch were hard. He didn't want to come out from under the arm chair I had in my room. He would eat and use his box, but mostly he'd just hide and make his "meep meep" noise. He finally did come out, but it's been an uphill battle from there. He is back and forth from the Vet with gum infections, and issues with his legs. The rescue organization that we got him from wasn't up front about all of his medical issues, so it's been a challenge.

I was able to piece together his story by calling around to the five (yes FIVE) vets that have been on his medical records. About three months ago, I was nasty enough to the lady who runs it to force most of them over. There are still gaps, but I've been able to deal with that.

The final piece to the puzzle is when we adopted him the rescue said that he was 8 months. Now that he's been back and forth to the vet, I've come to realize that there is NO way that was his true age. He was closer to a year and a half when we got him.

I've been asked by people who know Scratch's story that it the rescue had been up front about his past would I still have taken him. The answer to that has always been and always will be: YES!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Scratch's foster Mom has been a Godsend. She has left the rescue, because of the whole adoption process I've going through with him. She thought I knew his story before we brough him home. She was able to get copies of things for me when the rescue wouldn't turn them over to me. I have no idea why they've been so protective over his records. They aren't state secrets, and it's going to help me treat him if any new issues pop up.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww...scratch is sooo lucky to have you taking such good care of him heather. i'm soo sorry that the little guy had a rough start- but he couldn't have wound up in a more loving home