Blood in stool ???

winter hawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
O.K........here's the situation. One of our cats.....Amaudeus, did his business in the litter box and the smell was HORRIBLE, not that cat poop smells good anytime, but above and beyond the usual smell. We thought that perhaps he had diarrhea and checked the litter box upon his exiting. NO diarrhea, but there were small clumps of blood in his stool......we flipped out, a thousand things have gone through our minds since this happened.....which was only about 15 minutes ago. I get right on the phone and call our usual vet and they can't work him in this evening, but can in the morning. I'M NOT WAITING !!! I called another vet and they could get me in at 7pm this evening......so we are going to be on our way very shortly. I am taking the stool sample with me as I already have it *bagged.* We very religiously, each and every day, scoop the litter-boxes and there hasn't been anything unusual until a little bit ago. I don't know what to think.....he could have ingested something.....I don't know what though. He isn't acting like he is sick.......or even acting anything unlike his NORMAL self. I am at a loss to know.......but hopefully after while they will be able to tell me what the problem is. I don't like going outside of our regular vet.....as we have a very good relationship with him. BUT........a person has to do..........what a person has to do. PLEASE send vibes.......Amaudeus' way......that it isn't anything serious. I will post again upon our return from the vet.

Winter Hawk

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amaudeus....

lots of healthy, calming vibes are on the way to you right now sweetie pie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winter hawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
O.K.........here's the scoop *pun intended*

I took him to the vet along with a stool sample that had blood in it. They checked the stool sample.......took his temperature.....palpated him VERY thouroughly and told me that it *probably* wasn't anything to worry about but to keep an eye on him. As I said earlier, he isn't acting funny...he's eating and drinking just like normal. He isn't vomiting anything up.......and I told the vet that my main concern was that he could have ingested something like a bread twistie-tie....or perhaps a rubber-band. I have, on numerous occasions, taken both of these items from him. I still have an appointment with his regular vet scheduled for 11:15 in the morning and I think I'm gonna keep that appointment just for a second opinion and for our own piece-of-mind. What are ya'lls opinions?

Winter Hawk

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im glad you are keeping the appt in the AM. Please let us know what the vet says. Sening HUGE vibes to you and to Amaudeus.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Note to Amaudeus...
Leave those rubber bands and twistie-ties alone sweetie pie.

It sounds like your boy got into something.

I know that you will keep a close eye on him.

I might keep the appointment on 11-15 just to be safe.
Please let us know if there is any change.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet test for intestinal parasites? Could Amadeus have drunk some stagnant water? Both Jamie and the dog next door had bloody stool after drinking from our pond several years ago, and tested positive for typhoid. It cleared up quickly, but was a frightening experience.
Needless to say, the pond was completely replaced, and neither are allowed near it now.

winter hawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
O.K.......second vet....same opinion. He was tested for intestinal parasites, even though he hasn't had any acces to anything except tap water. They seem to think that perhaps he was *straining* to hard to eliminate his feces. As I said, he acts fine and we will continue monitoring him. This totally surprised us, we have NEVER seen this before. The sight of bright red...very oxygenated blood was a scary site to see. He's doing fine and actually he quite enjoyed, believe it or not, the extra attention from the vets.........go figure

Thank-You all for the vibes and concern.

Winter Hawk

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor boy, how scary for you!!!! I'm glad it seems to be nothing major. Straining wouldn't cause the extra strong smell though surely??? Why was he straining?

I guess you'll just have to keep an extra good eye on him, and check his stools regularly.

Good luck!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prego had a bloody stool at one point. My vet said to wait and see if it continued for at least 2 weeks. It could be caused by stress. Prego's did continue, so we went back in. Got a fecal test and an X-ray to check for megacolon. He didn't have megacolon and the fecal test was clear, so my vet suggested extra fiber because she thought he was just constipated. Prego gets a spoonful of pumpkin each night and 1/4 can of w/d to soften the stool a bit and prevent straining.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winter Hawk

O.K.......second vet....same opinion. He was tested for intestinal parasites, even though he hasn't had any acces to anything except tap water. They seem to think that perhaps he was *straining* to hard to eliminate his feces. As I said, he acts fine and we will continue monitoring him. This totally surprised us, we have NEVER seen this before. The sight of bright red...very oxygenated blood was a scary site to see. He's doing fine and actually he quite enjoyed, believe it or not, the extra attention from the vets.........go figure

Thank-You all for the vibes and concern.

Winter Hawk
Im so glad that everything is ok! I know you were worried! Glad Amaudeus enjoyed is time out!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be colitis? Cindy had blood in her stool 2 days ago, and it was very smelly. The vet said no parasites, and it was probably colitis. She said to feed her a tablespoon of pumpkin every day. Which is just not happening with Miss You Want Me to Eat What?

winter hawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called the breeder that we got our mau's from and she said that she should have warned me about that being a possibility. She said that not all of her cats had this problem......but.....a couple had in the past had the same thing happen to them. She, of course, took them to her vet and the test results were the same as ours were.......nothing at all out of the ordinary. She said that the vet suggested to give them more fiber also........as in pumpkin or Milk of Magnesia. It will be easy to give either of these to Ami by mixing it with his Gerber Baby Food. I'm gonna give it a try. I do know that by feeding the Innova EVO that all of our cats drink more than the average amount of water to compensate for all of the extra protein and the lack of fiber in the food. I'll keep everyone posted on the plan and how it works out. Once again, thanks for being concerned.

Winter Hawk