Cleveland APL no longer testing for feline leukemia

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

http://www.cleveland.com/search/inde...l?lxani&coll=2
this is ridiculous, this has an epidemic written all over it! please everyone, WHENEVER you adopt a kitty, find a kitty, whatever, take it to a vet ASAP to be tested for FeLV before you expose any other cats you may have to the new cat. Leukemia is extremely contagious and trust me, you do not want to have this disease in your home if you could have prevented it

ETA: I am not seeing how this stresses out the cats either- it is a simple blood test

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's got to be a money thing.

Let's hope they keep the cats in cages, separated...

At the very least they should've made it routine at the time of adoption. If it's just a random option out there, I don't know whether potential adopters would even know about or take advantage of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

It's got to be a money thing.

Let's hope they keep the cats in cages, separated...

At the very least they should've made it routine at the time of adoption. If it's just a random option out there, I don't know whether potential adopters would even know about or take advantage of it.
my thoughts too, money issue that is, and its says in the article that they recommend the test, but charge $20 to have it done there, and its not mandatory.
I believe they keep some cats in cages, but they also have communal rooms

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Katie...why don't you go over there & give them a piece of your mind? They're just going to make more FeLV+ kitties....and with so few people like you rescueing them....they'll be pts!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Katie...why don't you go over there & give them a piece of your mind? They're just going to make more FeLV+ kitties....and with so few people like you rescueing them....they'll be pts!!

I'm going to send them an e-mail about it over the weekend, I'm so angry/upset about this!
Originally Posted by theimp98

ok that is just about dumb!!!!!!
you summed it up pretty well Bruce!