Work, need to vent

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I slept in today. I was really stressed last night I had a rough night at work. I was working with this cranky lady. She was yelling at everyone and I went to do something the boss told me to do and she yelled at me. ANd then she reported me to one of our main bosses and said I was slacking and I was doing everything they asked me to do. And she gets mad cause I answer call lights when they go off and she just lets them go off. I have seen her let them ring if its someone who aggrivates her. And I got a verbal warning yesterday to stop slacking and I wasn't slacking. She got mad cause I had to take the residents out to smoke but I was told to my charge nurse was sitting there when her boss and mine told me to go smoke them. And everytime we got ready to do something she would be headed to get the say supplies I was and she would get ill and say I am going to get it. We took one mans vital signs and the machine takes his pulse but not his respirations and I forgot my watch and I said we needed the reps and she took his pulse and I said no we need the reps and she we already took his vitals and was just being ugly about it. And when Ann gave me the verbal warning I told her what was going on and she told me just to humor her. Why the heck should I humor her when I have been with the company the same amount of time as her even if it was in a different facility. She wrote down 76 for the reps and if you are breathing that fast they better take you to the ER because your lungs are going to explode. And the dumb nurse in charge I guess didn't notice it cause she charted it. I just had a rough night and she is not taking care of residents right. She is too hateful to them and that's just as important as cleaning them up. One of the men asked her to pull him up and she told him he was too heavy for us to be pulling up. And he's not. Sorry I had to vent. It was just awful none of us at the other facility ever talked to residents like that besides well that one charge nurse. She gets so worked up over stupid stuff I thought she was going to hit someone one day and our med tech was in there and she told her to calm down a bit. Yes I know its stressful but its part of the job. And what's worse is they let her do this stuff and it comes back on me being the bad guy because I won't treat them like that and she yells at me for trying to talk to one of our combative ones instead of just doing whatever we are going to do to him. And I saw her bend his thumb one day and I reported it and nothing happened other than me looking like the bad guy. What is wrong with people that they have to be so nasty to people all the time. Sorry still venting. But I was in tears several times last night and I don't think I should have to be in tears while I work.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that you're in a hard place - please keep trying to be brave.

And please keep reporting the abuse you see - both for your clients' sakes, and your own.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

I was working with this cranky lady. She was yelling at everyone and I went to do something the boss told me to do and she yelled at me.
....I hate when I´m yelled without a reason!.....

You do so right to vent here,
what you feel!

Don´t give up my friend!
......today would be a great day to all!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes please continue to stand up for yourself and report the things she does. I know things are hard right now but you can do it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

I'm sorry that you're in a hard place - please keep trying to be brave.

And please keep reporting the abuse you see - both for your clients' sakes, and your own.
my granny was in a "old folks' home"
, as we call it down here, & i thought most of the carers really didn't care for the residents that much. we were glad we lived close enough that dad could visit several times a day - i think she got better care because they never knew when he would show up.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is make sure you document everything you see, hear, and get. Be it reprimands, abuse, her yelling what not. Put down the time, date and what happened that way if they ever try to come back on you for something she did, you have the documentation that it was actually her doing that.
Trust me, even documentation can get her terminated if there's enough of it.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's terrible. Just sit back and relax today and take it easy. Try to get yourself "unwound" before she gets you wound back up again.

Definitely report any abuse you see though. That's just not right!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you need to do is start documenting things that you see this other person doing so that you can report her.

Date
Time
Situation / incident
Patient name if one is involved
What she said and /or did
Provide back up proof.

For example, I had been assigned a student nurse on one of my shifts and the guy was absolutely the worse student nurse that I'd ever seen. He was apparently 2nd or 3rd year and was functioning at 1st year level if that.

One of the female patients on the ward needed a bladder catheter inserted and if there are skills like that to be done and there are students on the ward, we give them the skill to do so that they can learn. The instructor gave that particular task to the student I had so I had to observe him and make sure he was doing it right and if he did, then I could sign him off and he could do it on his own in the future.

Things to do:

1. gather supplies
2. set up sterile field
3. position patient
4. put on sterile gloves
5. cleanse area and insert catheter

This guy was a total disaster. He gathered the supplies but he set up his sterile field before I got into the room, so I didn't know if the field was sterile or not. I made him throw that stuff out and go and get more supplies so he could set up the sterile field while I was in the room. He did.

He set up the sterile field on the left side of the patient...which works if you are left handed..which he wasn't. If he was competent to do the skill he should have known that. I mentioned it to him. So what does he do? He elbows his way around the bed and curtain and hip checks me into the oxygen equipment on the wall which not only broke the plastic cannister, but bruised and cut me in the process. He also put the sterile catheter in his right hand, which was not sterile anymore, making the catheter not sterile.

He also didn't have any lubricant on the catheter, and his equipment that he needed was on the other side of the bed!!!

When I mentioned about the lubricant, he said it was 'fine". I suggested I put a catheter in him without the lubricant, LOL.

I made him go and get more supplies and I physically walked him through what he needed to do. He set up the sterile field on the proper side of the bed this time, again, he didn't put lubricant on the tube. I insisted and he added the lubricant. When it came time to insert the catheter he was so rough with the woman and the poor lady cried out that he was hurting her and he hadn't even touched her with the catheter. In addition to that he kept asking me "Which hole? Which hole?" At which time I booted him out of the room, went and got my own supplies and inserted the catheter.

My evaluation was something like this:

Lack of knowledge re: aseptic technique as evidenced by setting up sterile field on wrong side of bed and transferring catheter to non sterile hand

Lack of knowledge of female anatomy as evidenced by inability to determine urethra from vagina

Lack of knowledge re: patient comfort as evidenced by refusal to use lubricant on catheter tubing, and rough handling of patient resulting in patient crying out saying "Ow! You're hurting me!"

Staff abuse as evidenced by hip checking me into the oxygen equipment on the wall.

The person you are working with sounds like a real problem and it sounds like she has it in for you. It doesn't matter if you have been there the same length of time or not, she is obviously reporting you for things.

The management is obviously taking what she says seriously enough to issue you verbal warnings. If they were only "humouring her", they wouldn't be giving you warnings. They wouldn't be doing anything at all. Those warnings are going on your record. You need to stop this.

Don't humour that person. Document, document, document and report her infractions. That's the only way to deal with people like that.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I have a hard time with places and people like that. I understand that caring for older people can be a real chore, but if that is the job that you have chosen, you need to work at it the BEST that you can.

I was visiting an elderly friend of mine and I walked down to her room and looked in the door. She was bent over in an very odd position and she was drooling. I walked back to the desk and by the time I got to the desk, someone else from the facility had gone into her room and had called the front desk and the woman who answered the phone said, "Pupil blown?" I'm not stupid. I know that is fairly serious, so I started down the hallway at a run. They (the front desk people) passed me on the way and got there first. My friend had had a stroke. Now they know their business, but that was MY friend. They had the nerve to tell me, "Don't run in the hall." You must be joking.

Anyone who works their best at situations like this need to be commended, praised for their dedication and abilities.....not downgraded. I am so sorry that this happened to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks just getting it out helps. I was asked today if I would like to go to night shift and although I really don't want to I think due to the circumstances it would be better. And afterwards I am going to continue working on finding a better place to work and getting started in college.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

Thanks just getting it out helps. I was asked today if I would like to go to night shift and although I really don't want to I think due to the circumstances it would be better. And afterwards I am going to continue working on finding a better place to work and getting started in college.
I'm sorry this gal has given you such a rough go. But think of the positive: Nights usually mean extra pay, so you can save up a little faster while you're looking for a better job w/better hours!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

She's a 100% bully and something should be seriously done about her, especially when she's being physical with people.
yea that.

if you allow people to yell and push you around, they will keep doing it. I know that i am a guy, and maybe it is more bulit in to my nature, to get back in people face.

But I have told more then one boss, learn how to speak to me or just keep your mouth shut. the boss i have now, is one of the worst people i have ever had to work with. He yells at people, throw things in the office. insults people, makes racist comments to some here, The 4 week i was here he said some stuff to me, that i did not approve of, i informed him that if he ever spoke that way to me again, the next conversation we would be having would be in the parking lot, and if he had any doubts about it, to please open his mouth again. End result, is that he waits for me to leave the office before he even comes in,

How that may not work for you, there is i am sure other ways to deal with problem, you should not have to deal with being treated that way at work.