Spaying tomorrow, Im nervous!

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it's just a routine procedure..and it'll be fine.. but then why am I so worried??

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm always worried when ever any of my cats have had to be put under anesthesia .. Sending vibes your way that everything goes fine. Which I'm sure it will.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just booked Radar in for the 14th as he needs his 'tutoring' whilst is also having a hernia sewn and being microchipped

I'm already worried sick- Epona and I have both taken the day off work

They are all routine procedures and the v.nice nurse said he should be back on his feet by the afternoon...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your cat though I expect I'll be too busy fussing over Radar tbh

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went through having my male cat done yesterday.

I think it's normal to worry...I did, I was up at 4AM even though he didn't have to be to the Vet until 1PM.
He's back to himself this morning and doesn't seem to be the least bit bothered by it.

I'm sure your baby will do just fine and I'm sending good vibes your way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you

The vet prefers to keep her over night but will allow me to take her home in the afternoon if I want to, which is MY preference.
Any reason I should leave her there over night?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If there is going to be someone there watching her overnight, I would suggest leaving her there, otherwise bring her home. Abby was sent home from the shelter the afternoon of her spay, and I did not receive good instructions. I had a VERY groggy cat that had urinated all over herself, and her carrier, couldn't walk, and was vomiting everywhere. I was terrified, and made numerous calls to my vet that night. Obviously my situation is extreme, but if there is someone with experience to watch over her, I would take it

Good luck to you both

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good points AM and food for thought. The vet assistant mentioned they would be giving me meds to give her for pain, which surprised me. Has that always been a common practice? The last animal I had to take for surgery (on her neck for a cyst) the vet told me there wasnt any pain med for cats. That was about
8 yrs ago tho.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Some vets give pain meds, some don't. I wasn't given any for Abby. You may also get an e-collar for your girl.

Again, my situation was extreme, and my vet felt she was given too much anesthesia, and sent home to me not long after the operation. If I had it to do over again, I would have it done by MY vet, and let her stay overnight.

I can understand you wanting to have her home though. When my Molly had something minor done by my vet, I ended up taking her home the same afternoon. The vet felt it was OK to do so.

Actually, the best thing would probably be to let your vet decide tomorrow afternoon after the surgery if your cat is in a condition to come home or not.

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Some vets give pain meds, some don't. I wasn't given any for Abby. You may also get an e-collar for your girl.

Actually, the best thing would probably be to let your vet decide tomorrow afternoon after the surgery if your cat is in a condition to come home or not.
That's the perfect plan right there.

E-collar? is that the cone looking thing that keeps them from chewing on stitches??

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

If there is going to be someone there watching her overnight, I would suggest leaving her there, otherwise bring her home. Abby was sent home from the shelter the afternoon of her spay, and I did not receive good instructions. I had a VERY groggy cat that had urinated all over herself, and her carrier, couldn't walk, and was vomiting everywhere. I was terrified, and made numerous calls to my vet that night. Obviously my situation is extreme, but if there is someone with experience to watch over her, I would take it

Good luck to you both
Poor Abby!

Good luck tomorrow with her spay - everything will be fine and she'll be good as new when you bring her home!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our vet let us bring both our kitties home on the condition that we watched them carefully and would call if we had any concerns. Fortunately for us (and them), they both were fine. They didn't even need e-collars. Try not to worry too much - they are tougher than you think.

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just dropped her off a little while ago. Poor hungry kitty, she kept standing by her bowl waiting to be fed.

I'm pretty sure I'm bringing her home this evening (provided she's progressing normally), they don't have someone on duty all night. They all go home about 7pm.

Just ready to get this overwith.

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update
Maggie is waking up now and doing fine..YAY However, the vet wants me to call back later to see if she can come home with me this evening.
Can they do that? Make her stay there overnight with no one there when she's doing fine? hmft

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks I can stop whining now
She's home and only slightly groggy. Went right to her food bowl to eat, then wobbled to her potty.. purred while I gave her a chin scratch..then went off to rest.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MCMaggie

Thanks I can stop whining now
She's home and only slightly groggy. Went right to her food bowl to eat, then wobbled to her potty.. purred while I gave her a chin scratch..then went off to rest.
Just saw this thread...but glad to hear your girl is ok and back home where she belongs!