Healthy Diet

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, I probably sound like one of those people who spoil thier pets to the point of every dollar I make goes towards my cats, but I have a question.

My cats get fed a small bowl (equals to about two small handfuls per bowl) of Whiskas dry food every day. This seems to fill them up. They also get one to two Pounce treats per day. (unless my grandmother gets a hold of them and then its around five treats per day) From time to time, maybe two to three times a month, they get wet food. This is normally if I've run out of dry food and didn't have time to go to the store. Also from time to time, they get the specially made catmilk as a treat. (Tyran LOVES it) Weight wise, Miki weighs somewhere around 6-7 pounds, possibly more. She hasn't had a recent weigh-in. Tyran is somewhere around 4-5, but also, she has not had a current weight check. Miki is a bit round but Tyran is lean. Both are under a year old. (Miki will turn 1 year later this month)

My question (or rather questions) are:

1) Is this a healthy diet? With all the treats, I'm not sure.

2) If not, what changes can I make?

3) I've heard of a raw meat diet. Is this good for cats, and is it expensive?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well, to be totally blunt, Whiskas food is junk, it wouldn't be the treats I was worried about. Whiskas has by-products, dyes and all sorts of other not really that great stuff. If your budget is tight, then I would like to recommend Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, its a pretty decent food, all my cats love it and its not that expensive, about $22 for 18 lbs. Also, wet food is a good thing to make a regular part of your kitty's diet, it gives them the moisture they need as cats tend not to drink enough water. I feed my crew wet food for "dinner" everyday, I feed Wellness, Innova and Meow Mix cups or pouches, different cats eat different things

As far as a raw diet, I have no experience with it, sorry I can't tell you anything on that

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats will probably be a lot healthier on healthier food.

California Natural canned or dry food is good, midpriced, and has high quality ingredients.

I recommend dried salmon, chicken treats, or other meat products rather than Pounce. The 'semimoist' food products are actually dangerous for the cat--nearly anything else is better.

The best treat you can give your cat is a pat and a cuddle. But good food will give them a long and healthy life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only petstore I really buy anything from is Petsmart, so my choices are limited. Here is a list (according to thier website) of what they carry. Some of these might not be in the store.

Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Adult
Science Diet
Fancy Feast
Sophisticat
Iams
Whiskas
Authority
Blue Spa Select
Pro Plan

Any of these you would reccomend? I'm going to the store today, so I could pick up some new food while I'm there.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
out of those I would probably choose, and in this order, between Nutro, Blue Spa and Authority. Wet from any of these companies also a good choice. Petsmart also carries the Meow Mix wet
. Science Diet and Iams both have by-products which is ridiculous for the price
Cali Nat and Chicken Soup can both usually be found at feed stores, do you have any of those nearby?

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have absolutely no idea. I know where just about every petstore in town is, but as for feedstores, I have no idea. I'll check out Nutro since I know the petsmart carries it in the store. I'll pick up a bag today. Is Nutro expensive?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Soka

I have absolutely no idea. I know where just about every petstore in town is, but as for feedstores, I have no idea. I'll check out Nutro since I know the petsmart carries it in the store. I'll pick up a bag today. Is Nutro expensive?
Not too bad, mid twenties for a big bag- when you switch foods, make sure you mix it in with old food, like 25% Nutro, 75% whiskas, 50-50, then 75% nutro 25% Whiskas, then all Nutro. Some kitties tummies can get very upset by a sudden food switch Pew!!

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now when you say big bag, how big are we talking? I pay around $6 for a couple of pounds of Whiskas dry.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Now when you say big bag, how big are we talking? I pay around $6 for a couple of pounds of Whiskas dry.
Big Bag=around 18-20 lbs? if you get a sealable container, like a rubbermaid tote or something, with 2 kitties a big bag should last you at least 2 months, its much more cost efficient to buy a big bag too, especially if you're going to buying the more expensive food

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to buy the mid size Nutro bags ... I got them at a feed stores for 13-14 for an 8 to 10lb... Petsmart is about 15-17 for that size ... Yes bigger is a better$$$ but when dealing with "naturally preserved foods" I suggest only buying what kitty will eat in two months ...

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd say they could probably go through a big bag in two months. Plus that will save me trips to the store, which saves on gas. I'm also starting to buy the litter in larger amounts. I used to buy the little boxes of litter, but now I'm buying the 28lb tubs.

Also will Nutro cause stinky poo? My grandmother is always complaining about the litterbox.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No on Nutro my cats could actually poop while I was on the potty and it wasnt a problem.,...

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'd say they could probably go through a big bag in two months. Plus that will save me trips to the store, which saves on gas. I'm also starting to buy the litter in larger amounts. I used to buy the little boxes of litter, but now I'm buying the 28lb tubs.

Also will Nutro cause stinky poo? My grandmother is always complaining about the litterbox.
well, to be totally honest, it did cause a problem in a couple cats in the past which is why i don't feed it, in addition to Chicken Soup being cheaper
but I haven't really heard of anyone else with that problem. Felv cats seem to have extra sensitive tummies for some reason

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

well, to be totally honest, it did cause a problem in a couple cats in the past which is why i don't feed it, in addition to Chicken Soup being cheaper
but I haven't really heard of anyone else with that problem. Felv cats seem to have extra sensitive tummies for some reason
See I had the opposite with my girls
... aint kitty s grand

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your help. I will definatly start introducing a better food for my girls. I have a container full of Whiskas and I'll use that until I've completely introduced the Nutro. Once again, Thanks!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks for all your help. I will definatly start introducing a better food for my girls. I have a container full of Whiskas and I'll use that until I've completely introduced the Nutro. Once again, Thanks!
No problem! Thank YOU for wanting to feed your lovely ladies a better food!